IGNORED

Muncher (2600)

Here is a game I've been working on for a little while. It's gotten to the remotely fun point, so I thought I'd share it to get some feedback. You play as a yellow square and your goal is to "eat" the red squares while avoiding aliens. There are currently four game modes:

Game 1 - one enemy bouncing off the walls

Game 2 - one "smart" enemy

Game 3 - two enemies bouncing off the walls

Game 4 - one "smart" enemy, one bouncing off the walls

I'm trying to keep this one at 2K but it wouldn't be too big of a deal to go with 4K. I have about 512 bytes free. Let me know what you think!

post-12776-0-32227900-1311622979_thumb.png

Muncher.bin

Latest ROM

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/185388-muncher-2600/page__view__findpost__p__2358245

Edited by Wickeycolumbus
  • Like 3

This a pretty fun, addictive little game. I am going to continue playing it. I'll let you know if I run into any issues.

Two things:

2. Noticed you can move the yellow pixel outside of the red area. You should consider deducting points for every move outside of the red box. This would, hopefully, make the player want to stay inside the red box area.

3. I'm not sure how I feel about having to keep pushing in a direction to move. I think if you hold the joystick in a certain direction, the dot should continue to move (even if it's one space at a time) without having to then keep nudging it.

Just my two cents. Other than that, looks good. Reminds me a little of Qix. :thumbsup:

-B

I'm not sure how I feel about having to keep pushing in a direction to move. I think if you hold the joystick in a certain direction, the dot should continue to move (even if it's one space at a time) without having to then keep nudging it.

To me, that makes it 100 percent irritating and 0 percent fun. I'm not a fan of joystick jerker games.

• Like 1

Yeah, I was thinking about changing the controls. How's this? I think it may be a bit too fast.

Muncher.bin

Yeah, definitely a bit too fast, but definitely and improvement over having to continuously nudge the joystick.

I was thinking what might make the game a little tougher in the later rounds is to have the dots start to refresh if you take too long to move. This way, you're forced to keep moving.

Looking good, though! :)

-B

I'm thinking that game variation 3 and 4 should switch places with 1 and 2... it's a more interesting game where there are multiple enemies to dodge.

A spitball idea... if you could only move where squares are it would add another element to the game. You'd have be be more careful about creating gaps, and as the game progressed you'd have less maneuvering room. Different levels could have different shaped territory to grab.

Excellent start!

Finally got around to doing an update. I think the speeds are a bit better now. Every few seconds you spend out of the red you get a 10 point deduction. I'll probably decrease the amount of time for that to happen when you clear a board. I have a couple ideas for more modes too.

Muncher.bin

Edited by Wickeycolumbus

I've noticed a bug: Sometimes (but not all the time) when you die, the board doesn't clear and you keep playing with the score you have, it's like you have a life left. You are only supposed to get one chance, right?

Yeah, I haven't gotten around to fixing that yet. Thanks for pointing it out though! There's also a bug where the score keeps subtracting 10 every few seconds even after a game over. They should both be (hopefully) pretty easy fixes. By the way, Gimme! is pretty cool, didn't see that before. I don't mean to drive you away from your project, please continue if you wish!

I've noticed a bug: Sometimes (but not all the time) when you die, the board doesn't clear and you keep playing with the score you have, it's like you have a life left. You are only supposed to get one chance, right?

Yeah, I haven't gotten around to fixing that yet. Thanks for pointing it out though! There's also a bug where the score keeps subtracting 10 every few seconds even after a game over. They should both be (hopefully) pretty easy fixes. By the way, Gimme! is pretty cool, didn't see that before. I don't mean to drive you away from your project, please continue if you wish!

Any chance of adding extra lives, or do you want to keep it one and done?

-B

Any chance of adding extra lives, or do you want to keep it one and done?

-B

Extra lives is probably a good idea :)

what about adding some simple obstacles like walls in some of the game variations? Nothing too "Mazey" but just a small handful of walls to get in your way.

Maybe have going outside the border make you lose points so you have to be careful to stay within the square. If you get down to zero points, then you also lose a life?

Edited by Legend

what about adding some simple obstacles like walls in some of the game variations? Nothing too "Mazey" but just a small handful of walls to get in your way.

Maybe have going outside the border make you lose points so you have to be careful to stay within the square. If you get down to zero points, then you also lose a life?

Unfortunately it would be pretty hard to add more objects on screen. I could flicker the playfield but that would look bad and use a lot of ROM. Flickered enemies wouldn't be as big a deal though. Going outside the red already subtracts points, but it's not really a threat at the moment.