IGNORED

Interest Check: mobile device HSC

toptenmaterial

Hi Everyone,

I am considering putting together an HSC for mobile device gaming. Below is part of a PM which I have sent to another AA'er, which I think sums up the idea pretty well:

I have been considering putting together some type of forum for mobile device HSCs, in the hopes that it would be perminent. Here is my reasoning: There are an increasing amount of arcade type games on mobile devices that utilize a high score system, and the simplicity seems to mirror the pre-crash consoles. I believe that an apt comparison can be drawn between these modern microgames and the Atari 2600, Colecovision, etc. There was a time when mostly these mobile games were shitty ports, but that is rapidly changing. I am seeing more and more high score type games that are catered towards touch screen controls. An excellent example of this is iFighter for the iOS.

From time to time, I have read threads about proposed HSCs for more modern consoles- for example, the SNES. But the nature of these post-crash games seems to preclude that. With mobile gaming, however, I really feel the spirit of the arcade- racking up points and staying alive as long as possible! Also, there is convinience to consider- I usually post on the iPhone, so the device is already in hand. I suspect that may be the case with many of our members, and not just the kids.

I believe that it is important to keep gaming relevent on AA. This is not to disparage the already existing, and excellent HSCs- these are filled with merit and are in no danger of going anywhere. At the same time, I cannot help but feel that a mobile forum would be good for AA. It would spark renewed interest in high score gaming, and attract new people.

I would love everyone's input on this. Please don't hesitate to add suggestions as to which games you would like to see played, and how the HSCs would be structured. This could be really cool!