IGNORED

StickyBear Shapes

Vandal968

I've been buying all of this old Atari stuff lately, and my wife hates it. I justified it to some extent by saying that it would be a great intro to computers for our 2-1/2 year old. I did some searching for educational titles and found an Antic review of educational software from long ago. One of their top picks was the StickyBear series, which I managed to download from Atarimania. It has worked out really well, my son loves the games and the Atari is locked-down well-enough that he doesn't minimize windows inappropriately or do any of the other dumb things that prevent him from being able to use a modern computer.

One problem though, StickyBear Shapes seems to have an issue. On each screen there is an animation as a reward for properly matching shapes, most work fine but a few (like the one where you match the circular wheels to the car) have a problem and the screen blinks strangely and partially blacks-out and then the computer needs to be reset to fix it. I was originally trying this on an physical 800XL, so I later tried it on a 130XE, same result. The software is fairly modern (1983) so I didn't think it would be a problem with the XL OS vs the 400/800 OS, but just in case I tried it on Altirra also. Same result on 800XL OS and 400/800 OS (damn fine emulator). I tried searching a few other archives, but can't find this program anywhere else (only Stickybear Basket Bounce seems common). I got it here:

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-stickybear-shapes_5067.html

Anyone got a good copy of this file?

thanks,

v

Not the same as the one you pointed to on Atarimania, but still a StickyBear production.

Stickybear Basket Bounce (1983)(Weekly Reader).atr

This is the only atr I have of this series.

Thanks. I have that one already, a little too much "game" and not enough "education". Where are you in AZ? My recent reintroduction to the Atari scene after a 20+ year absence led to this event last week in Mesa:

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/jackalope/2011/07/heatsync_labs_hosting_retro_ga.php

if you're local maybe you can come out to the next one?

Someone's got to have a good copy of StickyBear Shapes on a disk or something. I still have hope :)

cheers,

v

Edited by Vandal968

Not the same as the one you pointed to on Atarimania, but still a StickyBear production.

Stickybear Basket Bounce (1983)(Weekly Reader).atr

This is the only atr I have of this series.

Thanks. I have that one already, a little too much "game" and not enough "education". Where are you in AZ? My recent reintroduction to the Atari scene after a 20+ year absence led to this event last week in Mesa:

http://blogs.phoenix...ng_retro_ga.php

if you're local maybe you can come out to the next one?

Someone's got to have a good copy of StickyBear Shapes on a disk or something. I still have hope :)

cheers,

v

About 50 Miles South in Casa Grande. I will bookmark that site and check for the next one for Atari.

I made this with Chipmunk from the original disk. Seems to work OK...

Bob

SBearShapes.atr

I've been buying all of this old Atari stuff lately, and my wife hates it. I justified it to some extent by saying that it would be a great intro to computers for our 2-1/2 year old. I did some searching for educational titles and found an Antic review of educational software from long ago. One of their top picks was the StickyBear series, which I managed to download from Atarimania. It has worked out really well, my son loves the games and the Atari is locked-down well-enough that he doesn't minimize windows inappropriately or do any of the other dumb things that prevent him from being able to use a modern computer.

One problem though, StickyBear Shapes seems to have an issue. On each screen there is an animation as a reward for properly matching shapes, most work fine but a few (like the one where you match the circular wheels to the car) have a problem and the screen blinks strangely and partially blacks-out and then the computer needs to be reset to fix it. I was originally trying this on an physical 800XL, so I later tried it on a 130XE, same result. The software is fairly modern (1983) so I didn't think it would be a problem with the XL OS vs the 400/800 OS, but just in case I tried it on Altirra also. Same result on 800XL OS and 400/800 OS (damn fine emulator). I tried searching a few other archives, but can't find this program anywhere else (only Stickybear Basket Bounce seems common). I got it here:

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-stickybear-shapes_5067.html

Anyone got a good copy of this file?

thanks,

v

I made this with Chipmunk from the original disk. Seems to work OK...

Bob

Bob,

I just tried it, your version does work perfectly. THANK YOU!

Thanks also to the rest of you for the other game suggestions. I'll get them downloaded and start working them into the rotation.

cheers,

c

Bob,

I don't suppose you might have the disk for StickyBear Numbers as well? That one on AtariMania also has a flaw although it's not as easy to reproduce as the error in Shapes. If you run through it about 10x or so, it will eventually fail when it tries to repaint the screen when switching to a new number.

I did send the working Shapes file in to AtariMania, hopefully they will replace the version that they are currently hosting.

thanks again,

v

Sorry, could not find one. I do have the Chipmunk 'fix', though, so if you can get a sector copy, I can apply the patch.

Bob

(have a bunch of SAT practice disks... never too early to start on your SAT scores!!)

Bob,

I don't suppose you might have the disk for StickyBear Numbers as well? That one on AtariMania also has a flaw although it's not as easy to reproduce as the error in Shapes. If you run through it about 10x or so, it will eventually fail when it tries to repaint the screen when switching to a new number.

I did send the working Shapes file in to AtariMania, hopefully they will replace the version that they are currently hosting.

thanks again,

v