IGNORED

Tempest 2000 bonus stage bug

Cobra Kai

I've played this game since release pretty regularly over the years, but only recently noticed this bug on the 'green track' bonus stage, and it really annoys me now. You don't get rewarded 20,000 bonus points for successfully finishing it. I googled this bug and came up blank, but I can't possibly be the first person to notice this. It says you get 20,000, but doesn't actually register it in the score. If you think it's not true you need to watch very carefully.

The reason it took me so long to notice is because you have to concentrate so much on the gameplay if you want to finish it, that you hardly pay any attention to the score. But I've really been watching the past 5 or so games recently and you'll score about 28,000 points on average for playing through the bonus stage, then when you should get that 20,000 bonus (when the screen flashes and you warp to a new stage), you don't get it.

Edited by Gunstarhero

Tempest 2000 indeed has a few bugs, and I rarely saw them mentioned. I never encountered the one you're talking about, because I suck at playing the green track power levels :D

But here are two others :

A minor one appears in the first level (at least) : if you never hit any enemy, then get killed, the message you get is "Collect powerups!" instead of the usual "Shot you!" (harmless, and if you can't manage to hit a single enemy in Level 1, you should consider playing a different game anyways ;))

A more annoying one occurs during the first bonus level. Sometimes, you can't climb above a certain height, and you can't reach one of the circles because it's too high.

I have noticed several times in this game they show you get some kind of bonus points but none ever show up on your total score.

A more annoying one occurs during the first bonus level. Sometimes, you can't climb above a certain height, and you can't reach one of the circles because it's too high.

Yeah, I've always wondered why you can't go above or below a certain height at times. I figured it was because you didn't get enough points to proceed on. It doesn't seem like a bug.

I didn't notice any relationship with the number of points you scored before. It's a bit weird : it happens pretty frequently, so I'm suprised it was unnoticed (or at last, deliberately unfixed) before release ; in the other hand, I can't find any logical explanation for it except a bug.

I didn't notice any relationship with the number of points you scored before. It's a bit weird : it happens pretty frequently, so I'm suprised it was unnoticed (or at last, deliberately unfixed) before release ; in the other hand, I can't find any logical explanation for it except a bug.

I've always assumed there's an invisible ceiling and floor depending on which side of the rainbow bacon you're on, that's what the yellow arrows are for, they thrust you past those barriers either up or down.

In the first bonus level, at some point you'll get the "up arrow" ring which launches you far above the playfield.

Right after this you must get the bonus ring that appears next, but you have to go down a little to go through it.

If you go down to much, then you aren't able to move up again for the next ring.

So, accurate steering is required.

Edited by Isgoed
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...

Not sure if it's a newly discovered bug but it's newly discovered to me after my million hours of time with Tempest 2000.

During my evening of trying to remember the cheat code to unlock the Tempest 2000 CD music playback feature *that doesn't actually exist, sadly*

I found that if you pause the game during one of the levels and then try to reset the cartridge NVRAM (who would ever do that?!), it'll forever remain paused and lock you into an endless loop to where you can't actually select either ABSOLUTELY erase or NO! forcing you to reset the Jaguar. Just found it kind of amusing.

buggy2k.thumb.jpg.b2ded23ac57ed365ee4c6da70a6869d9.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/18/2021 at 11:45 PM, Clint Thompson said:

Not sure if it's a newly discovered bug but it's newly discovered to me after my million hours of time with Tempest 2000.

During my evening of trying to remember the cheat code to unlock the Tempest 2000 CD music playback feature *that doesn't actually exist, sadly*

I found that if you pause the game during one of the levels and then try to reset the cartridge NVRAM (who would ever do that?!), it'll forever remain paused and lock you into an endless loop to where you can't actually select either ABSOLUTELY erase or NO! forcing you to reset the Jaguar. Just found it kind of amusing.

buggy2k.thumb.jpg.b2ded23ac57ed365ee4c6da70a6869d9.jpg

Perhaps this influenced watermelons genesis pier solar cart + Sega cd ? sync option?

On 8/2/2011 at 3:59 PM, Zerosquare said:

A minor one appears in the first level (at least) : if you never hit any enemy, then get killed, the message you get is "Collect powerups!" instead of the usual "Shot you!" (harmless, and if you can't manage to hit a single enemy in Level 1, you should consider playing a different game anyways ;))

Never noticed these,thanks

None of those bugs escaped my attention back in the day (except for the NVRAM one). Yet another one is that whenever you hit the speed boost in the first bonus area, it doesn't reset back to saying "Yes!" instead of "Boost!" until you hit another speed boost.