IGNORED

Boulder Dash(R) Music

Andrew Davie

This is a demo of the Boulder Dash® title screen, now playing the original theme music.

This work is a joint effort between Thomas Jentzsch and Fred Quimby (batari). Both have contributed significantly. Firstly, Fred worked on the original music engine and method that made this sort of music possible. The music engine modifies the sound registers on every scanline of the display to get frequency-correct notes. As if that's not amazing enough, Thomas took Fred's system and managed to work its technique into our existing title screen code and somehow managed to get per-scanline music running INSIDE an asymmetrical playfield with cosmic ark stars AND sprites, and also inside a 6-sprite routine. Thomas said it was "quite difficult", and since I've seen the code I can assure you that's an understatement! Anyway, many thanks to Fred (batari) for his fabulous contribution, and once again to Thomas for weaving his special magic. I think this is one super-amazing piece of work.

BoulderDashMusic2.bin

• Like 9

Even after restarting the computer, Stella was playing the tune inconsistently, then I ran CCleaner, restarted the computer again and now Stella is playing the tune without a problem. I don't know what CCleaner did, but I like the result.

The only possible reason I can see for this is there was some other program(s) running on your computer, fighting for control, and Stella was 'choppy' as a result. And after running the app, those programs(s) were disabled and the system runs a little faster, leading to better performance in Stella. Note that while you don't need a particularly fast computer to run Stella, you do need one that isn't running a lot of stuff at the same time (and extra stuff such as viruses or anti-virus software can cause problems).