IGNORED

Split Second

Master_Programmer

Questions about the quality of the game  

3 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the music i composed?

• That's music? i thought it was a glitch.
    • Terrible. never try to compose music again.
    • Meh....heard better.
    • Okay i guess.
    • Pretty good.
    • EPIC.
    • I'll answer the question, but i still want a cookie.
  2. 2. What do you think about the graphics of the game?

• AWFUL.
    • Not that good.
    • Not bad.
    • Pretty good.
    • EPIC.
  3. 3. What do you think about the gameplay?

• It was terrible.
    • It was a good idea, just excecuted wrong.
    • Not bad, but there are some things that need to be worked on.
    • Pretty Good.
    • Amazing.
  4. 4. What do you think about the characters?

• They look like the same rpg heroes shoved down everyone's throats.
    • Nothing special
    • Seen better.
    • Not bad.
    • Pretty awesome.
    • Amazingly Original!
  5. 5. Do you think i should make a sequel?

• Yes.
    • No.
  6. 6. If i make a sequel, should i use a new battle engine, or use the same one?

• Use a new engine
    • Keep the old engine

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Okay, i think i have a first release ready!

SPLIT.png

The controls are as follows:

On the title screen, switchselect starts the game

on the map, joystick 0's directions move you

in battle, left and right selects a kind of attack, and fire gets you into the "action" part of the battle.

you wait until the screen flashes, and press down as fast as you possibly can.

if you do it before the enemy, then you damage the enemy.

if you select the up arrow, or the back arrow, or the shield, your next attack's power is halved, but you have a chance of blocking an enemy's attack

if you select the sword, then you do full damage, but have no chance of dodging/blocking an enemy's attack if they hit you.

your score is your hp.

when you get to a certain map, pressing fire will open a shop screen, where your can buy items.

on the shop, the first 2 digits of the score, is the price of the item

the last 2 are your current money.

left and right changes the selected item.

fire buys and item if you have enough money.

down, exits the shop.

Charaters-

the doctor guy near the start of the game doesn't do a thing.

His name, is Dr.Guy.

he could easily defeat xaim, and all his minions, but is too busy with ending world hunger, and saving alternate realities, so he slapped together a robot, and called it "N1".

the blue and white robot is "N1"

the red guy is "Pico"

He comes from an alternate dimension, due to a temporal disruption, caused by unknown means.....

and the yellow bunny girl is "Nyp"

She's a living stuffed bunny doll, brought to life by unknown means.

items:

The plant looking thing - An herb, heals 500 hp.

The candy - Heals 5000 hp if your second hp digit is less than 50, but if it's bigger, it gives you 30000 hp. >:3

The odd red thing(it's supposed to be a crystal), - boosts your attack for 1 battle.

The light blue square - Makes your invincible, lasts until after you're hit once.

the running guy - Allows you to attempt to run from a battle(yes you have to buy that. >:3 )

Note: You have a 50% or so chance to run from a battle.

the guy in a weird pose - Giga command....gives you the effects of a crystal and a square, and doesn't go away when used, but can only be used once per battle

The 2 arrows - Switches characters...you can only do this after you've beaten the boss that nyp has to fight

Your attack power is always your second hp digit + 1

Bosses will be found on the main maps, not in a random battle.

but they have to be touched in order to enter the battle.

you'll know you're at a boss, because the music will change for that certain screen.

touching a Bed will heal you if your hp is below 100.

well, i think that's it.....if you see any bugs, please tell me, and i'll try to fix it.

Also, this version isn't real hardware compatible...give me a day or two, and i'll probably have a hardware compatible version. :D

~Known Bugs list~

Bug name - Rollover

Bug Status - fixed

Bug seriousness - Not a game-crasher, but it can give you some extreme troubles.

Bug Description:

when you get to the first "fields" area(after you exit the town), you can't go back to the town, because of the y position rolling over.

Bug name - Never-ending Bad ending

Bug Status - Fixed

Bug seriousness - Not a game-crasher, but it'll make you unable to see the true ending.

Bug Description:

You have to lose against the first boss.

there is NO winning that battle....

so, if i set it up to make it so that losing even once in the game makes you get the bad ending....well...you get the idea.

SPLIT_SECOND(V1.1).bin

Edited by Master_Programmer

By the way...i forgot to mention.....losing all your HP, won't make you lose.

it'll end the battle, without you getting any money or hp, but you don't get a game-over screen or anything.....

BUT.....if you lose even ONE battle....you get a BAD ending. >:3

good luck trying to get the good ending!

Why not have the game start with the Reset switch and the fire button? It's odd to use the Select switch to start a game.

Because he marches to a different drummer, something a starched shirt stick in the mud like you wouldn't understand, Mr Bummer McBuzzkill! Seriously though, I mostly just bumping the thread so I remember to try it out when I am at home.

Why not have the game start with the Reset switch and the fire button? It's odd to use the Select switch to start a game.

Because he marches to a different drummer, something a starched shirt stick in the mud like you wouldn't understand, Mr Bummer McBuzzkill! Seriously though, I mostly just bumping the thread so I remember to try it out when I am at home.

XD

whoever you are, you win the award of "Best response ever". X3

XD

eh, maybe "most ironic response ever". RT is usually the poster child for "marching to his own drummer", but maybe a little more conservative re: game design. But he is a fountain of knowledge and if you look at his site there is a metric shit-ton of great info about Batari Basic and game design.

Edited by Chuck D. Head

He was joking. An Atari 2600 game should start using both the Reset switch and the fire button if you don't want to piss off the player. It's not all about you and what you want:

http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-game-design-guidelines.html#ego

Making a game is about having fun, overcoming challenges, being grateful for help from better programmers, and trying to make players happy. If people have a rough day at work or school, they can sit down, play your game and get away from it all for a little while. If we can help players relieve stress and just generally feel better after playing, we've done a good job.

Everything in your game should be as user-friendly and intuitive as possible. It's your job to put everything you can on a silver platter for the player. Never let ego or laziness interfere.

Any time you start thinking more about yourself and less about the player, it's time to go out to a tree, find a good switch, and beat your ego until it's in the fetal position over in the corner of your mind.

He was joking. An Atari 2600 game should start using both the Reset switch and the fire button if you don't want to piss off the player. It's not all about you and what you want:

Hey, I got a cheap Chase the Chuckwagon for that exact reason. It was listed as may not work, game will not start. But that game uses select to start! (I assume it was programmed wrong, and easier to print instructions, than change a chip mask)

ummmm....i DO have the poll up for a reason, guys.

please, respond to the poll.

"This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose"

When you make a public poll, you're either going to get very few votes or most of the votes won't be truthful since the average person doesn't want to say anything negative in public and end up looking like a bad guy. If your game sucks, you may never get the feedback you need to make it better when you use a public poll.

• Like 2

Even when it's not public, we have to remember that people are doing us a free service. They don't have to do anything. Trying to have a good attitude about the whole thing always helps. Some people might be pissed off by what you said in the other thread, so they wouldn't take your poll if you paid them 100 dollars.

After some time has gone by and you've shown that you're not a spoiled brat like Veruca Salt and have a humble, thankful attitude, then they'll come back and be more likely to interact with you.

Edited by Random Terrain

Even when it's not public, we have to remember that people are doing us a free service. They don't have to do anything. Trying to have a good attitude about the whole thing always helps. Some people might be pissed off by what you said in the other thread, so they wouldn't take your poll if you paid them 100 dollars.

After some time has gone by and you've shown that you're not a spoiled brat like Veruca Salt and have a humble, thankful attitude, then they'll come back and be more likely to interact with you.

You sir, have insulted me worse than anyone ever could have.

First thing is first, i'm NOT spoiled.

i may be a jerk most of the time, for a moderately good reason, but i'm NOT spoiled.

secondly, i normally DO have a humble, and thankful attitude, but you can thank the little buttholes in my town for ruining it a little more, each and every day.

i'm constantly treated like a complete sack of crap, even when i try to be nice.

therefore, i've come to realize, being nice to complete strangers, never seems to help me in any way, shape, or form.

i only get slapped in the face.

NOW.

Good day to you SIR.

Secondly, I normally DO have a humble, and thankful attitude, but you can thank the little buttholes in my town for ruining it a little more, each and every day.

I'm constantly treated like a complete sack of crap, even when i try to be nice.

Therefore, I've come to realize, being nice to complete strangers, never seems to help me in any way, shape, or form.

I only get slapped in the face.

These pages might help:

http://www.randomterrain.com/favorite-quotes-self-improvement.html

http://www.randomterrain.com/favorite-quotes-self-confidence.html

Secondly, I normally DO have a humble, and thankful attitude, but you can thank the little buttholes in my town for ruining it a little more, each and every day.

I'm constantly treated like a complete sack of crap, even when i try to be nice.

Therefore, I've come to realize, being nice to complete strangers, never seems to help me in any way, shape, or form.

I only get slapped in the face.

These pages might help:

http://www.randomterrain.com/favorite-quotes-self-improvement.html

http://www.randomterrain.com/favorite-quotes-self-confidence.html

I'm sorry, but no, those won't help.

let's face it, if my social skills were as good as my video-gaming skills, then we probably wouldn't even be talking to each-other.

or if we did, we'd be talking about programming, and we wouldn't be telling each-other how to fix out own problems.

not that i don't appreciate that.

but i've never had hardly any social skills.

and to be honest, that coupled with the a$$wads in my town, getting me more angry day-in and day-out, is just enough to make me act out of the "norm" during the few hours i don't have to be around them.

what would really help, is them moving away.

for good.

and then me developing some social skills.

then me getting a life.

now, if you're willing to, i'm willing to stop talking about this, caus' let's face it, this really isn't the thread for help with life problems.

and if you DO want to continue talking about this, we can take it to a different thread, or PM

Edited by Master_Programmer

I'm sorry, but no, those won't help.

Water won't help a thirsty horse either if he won't drink it.

Certain concepts can help. For example, take a look at these quotes:

Someone's opinion of you does not have to become your reality.

~Les Brown

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.

~Anais Nin

Nothing in life is so hard that you can't make it easier by the way you take it.

~Ellen Glasgow

Life is ten percent what happens to you and ninety percent how you respond to it.

~Lou Holtz

Never claim as a right what you can ask as a favor.

~John Churton Collins

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out.

~John Wooden

No matter what accomplishments you make, somebody helped you.

~Althea Gibson

You cannot expect to achieve new goals or move beyond your present circumstances unless you change.

~Les Brown

Thoughts become words. Words become actions. Actions become habits. Habits become character. And character becomes your destiny.

~Unknown

To exist is to change, to change is to mature, to mature is to go on creating oneself endlessly

~Henri L. Bergson

We cannot become what we need to be, remaining what we are.

~Max Depree

The most useless are those who never change through the years.

~Sir James M. Barrie

You don't need social skills for quotes like that to work.

If you don't like your situation, moving can help temporarily, but there will be new A-holes and new crappy situations to deal with. You can change your situation a million times, but the change we really need to make isn't out there. If we can adjust how we think about things and how we act and react, our lives will improve. And you don't need to learn a bunch of social skills. You just have to be willing to understand that there are better ways to do things and better ways to think about yourself and others.

Watching videos like this can help a little too:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4OPqmLrFxA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4OPqmLrFxA&rel=0&fmt=35&showinfo=0

Once this stuff starts sinking in, we'll be more patient. We'll ask instead of demanding. We'll be thankful instead of acting like unappreciative A-holes. Things can always get better, but it can only happen if we get better.

post-13-0-35763000-1312597783_thumb.gif

Now back to your game. The music irritates me, but most game music does. I'm the kind of person who just likes sound effects and little tunes that play when things happen. I hated the NES/SNES years. Seemed like just about every game had irritating repetitive music.

Buddy, you're trying to give water to the horse that's already full of water.

~Les Brown

~Anais Nin

Nothing in life is so hard that you can't make it easier by the way you take it.

~Ellen Glasgow

Life is ten percent what happens to you and ninety percent how you respond to it.

~Lou Holtz

~John Churton Collins

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out.

~John Wooden

~Althea Gibson

You cannot expect to achieve new goals or move beyond your present circumstances unless you change.

~Les Brown

Thoughts become words. Words become actions. Actions become habits. Habits become character. And character becomes your destiny.

~Unknown

To exist is to change, to change is to mature, to mature is to go on creating oneself endlessly

~Henri L. Bergson

~Max Depree

~Sir James M. Barrie

Umm....90% of those sayings are how i THINK.

like i said, those kids in my town, make fun of, and constantly treat me like crap.

so i lash out at people in forums, even if i don't want to.

normally, i'm a pretty kind and helpful guy, and i always try to change myself to suit the emotional needs of my friends.

but once again, those kids in my town mess everything up, and make me so upset and angry, that i lash out at people like you in forums like this.

that's why i don't log on some days.

i try to keep this from happening, but sometimes, i get the stupid idea in my head, that coming here would cheer me up, even though i know i'm wrong.

If you don't like your situation, moving can help temporarily, but there will be new A-holes and new crappy situations to deal with. You can change your situation a million times, but the change we really need to make isn't out there. If we can adjust how we think about things and how we act and react, our lives will improve. And you don't need to learn a bunch of social skills. You just have to be willing to understand that there are better ways to do things and better ways to think about yourself and others.

Moving is no option.

i'm 16, and i'm getting driver's ed in 11 days.

Once this stuff starts sinking in, we'll be more patient. We'll ask instead of demanding. We'll be thankful instead of acting like unappreciative A-holes. Things can

always get better, but it can only happen if we get better.

are you talking about the people at atariage?

or me?

caus' if it's the second, like i said, i'm normally a lot kinder, and resistant to arguments.

Now back to your game. The music irritates me, but most game music does. I'm the kind of person who just likes sound effects and little tunes that play when things happen. I hated the NES/SNES years. Seemed like just about every game had irritating repetitive music.

then that's your opinion.

i respect it, and disagree.

i do like background music, but i will agree with you that the music is annoying, and stupid.

but i'm just trying to prove a point to everyone here.

I CAN'T MAKE MUSIC.

I NEED HELP WITH MUSIC.

so, i'm pretty sure this game PROVES that.

anyways, i'm back to my normal self, so i should be able to react to arguments and other stuff, in a more calm, and collected way.

that's why i was saying i didn't need those self-help bits.

i'm already nice, so long as i haven't been pushed to the edge by the youngsters in my town. :)

Buddy, you're trying to give water to the horse that's already full of water.

~Les Brown

~Anais Nin

~Ellen Glasgow

~Lou Holtz

~John Churton Collins

~John Wooden

~Althea Gibson

~Les Brown

~Unknown

~Henri L. Bergson

~Max Depree

~Sir James M. Barrie

Umm....90% of those sayings are how i THINK.

like i said, those kids in my town, make fun of, and constantly treat me like crap.

so i lash out at people in forums, even if i don't want to.

normally, i'm a pretty kind and helpful guy, and i always try to change myself to suit the emotional needs of my friends.

but once again, those kids in my town mess everything up, and make me so upset and angry, that i lash out at people like you in forums like this.

that's why i don't log on some days.

i try to keep this from happening, but sometimes, i get the stupid idea in my head, that coming here would cheer me up, even though i know i'm wrong.

Moving is no option.

i'm 16, and i'm getting driver's ed in 11 days.

Once this stuff starts sinking in, we'll be more patient. We'll ask instead of demanding. We'll be thankful instead of acting like unappreciative A-holes. Things can always get better, but it can only happen if we get better.

are you talking about the people at atariage?

or me?

caus' if it's the second, like i said, i'm normally a lot kinder, and resistant to arguments. . .

. . .anyways, i'm back to my normal self, so i should be able to react to arguments and other stuff, in a more calm, and collected way.

that's why i was saying i didn't need those self-help bits.

i'm already nice, so long as i haven't been pushed to the edge by the youngsters in my town. :)

When you read your post again in a few years, you'll see how you contradicted yourself and you'll probably wish you would have spent time soaking in all of the 'self-help bits' you could so things wouldn't have been so hard.

If I would have known about the better 'self-help bits' and that I should have been taking a vitamin B complex and Chlorella when I was a teen, I wouldn't have had so many problems.

Anyway, back to your game, you're probably not going to get any help with music. Everybody is busy working on their own stuff and most of them don't know much about music anyway. At least we have VbB's Music and Sound Editor now. The notes on the keyboards can keep us from making out-of-tune music and just that is a big help. It's up to us to do the rest unless somebody who knows about music can adapt the Music and Sound Editor to be even more useful.