IGNORED

Power supply question (Black irish jr. console)

Deja-Q

I got one of those completely black Jr. consoles here.

I've read that the power supplier of the vader and the jr. would be different.

Can somebody give me some informations regarding voltage and polarity of the (jr.) plug in Europe?

[Edit]

The specs on AA says, that the power supply is the same?!

9V 500 mA - Inner+, outer -

What is actually correct?! :?

Edited by Deja-Q

The power supplies for the various 2600 models are all the same, as Benzman66 said. The specs are the same for both PAL and NTSC models:

9V DC 500 mA, center tip positive. 1/8" (3.5mm) plug (the one used for mono audio).

If you're searching for a replacement you can use slighty different values for voltage and current:

Quoting from this old post by A.J. Franzman:

So, aside from the 1/8 inch phone plug w/ tip positive, your supply's ratings need to be in these ranges:

7.5 - 15 volts DC

500 mA or higher

• Like 1

ALWAYS have the right voltage. If it's too high or too low, these can happen:

Overheating which causes cooked chips.

FIRE!!!

Not enough power, dosen't function right and bad for 2600 (not sure what happens).

My dad even said so and he's a CE.

• Like 1

ALWAYS have the right voltage. If it's too high or too low, these can happen:

Overheating which causes cooked chips.

FIRE!!!

Not enough power, dosen't function right and bad for 2600 (not sure what happens).

My dad even said so and he's a CE.

Yep! I will only use 9V not more. I don't want to grill my new baby ;)

But thanks anyway for the tip

Your welcome. I have no idea where AJ came up with this:

So, aside from the 1/8 inch phone plug w/ tip positive, your supply's ratings need to be in these ranges:

7.5 - 15 volts DC

There's a 7805 voltage regulator in the 2600. This one outputs the 5V voltage used by all the ICs inside the console. The regulator can accept values from 7.5V up to 35V, but in the post I linked above it's explained why you shouldn't go that high: the filter capacitor is usually rated for 16V and the 7805 is not properly heatsinked to work reliabily with too high voltages.

Also note that the original Atari power supply is unregulated: the 9V specs on it are the estimated voltage when the load is 500mA. Try measuring the actual values at the power jack inside the console with various carts and original power supplies and you'll tipically find quite different values.

I use a 7.5 regulated supply with my 2600s, which helps keeping the voltage regulator cooler. The important thing is that you must use DC current with the right polarity: AC or inversed polarity will damage the console.

Also note that the original Atari power supply is unregulated: the 9V specs on it are the estimated voltage when the load is 500mA. Try measuring the actual values at the power jack inside the console with various carts and original power supplies and you'll tipically find quite different values.

Very true! Every original Atari adapter I have ever put the meter to is usually putting out between 12 and 14 volts without a load on it.

PAC, this is why AJ says what he did in the previous posting.

Edited by Benzman66

Well, why did AJ say 7.5V?

Because it will still work at 7.5V as long as you have 500Ma, as Deja Q found out in his "testing" around. The 500Ma is the main thing of importance in addition to the center tip being positive.

Although I would never use anything else but 9V as a standard!