IGNORED

colecovision launch titles and sales

chrisbid

simple enough question, wikipedia (not a perfect source) states there were 12 launch titles for the colecovision. a google search of :colecovision launch games" yields nothing.

so what were the 12 launch games, and what were the best selling games for the system other than donkey kong?

simple enough question, wikipedia (not a perfect source) states there were 12 launch titles for the colecovision. a google search of :colecovision launch games" yields nothing.

so what were the 12 launch games, and what were the best selling games for the system other than donkey kong?

Cosmic Avenger was (one of ?) the first game, I think.

Let me see... these are the titles that were released in 1982. The first 6 were available at the August 1982 release that I can recall and the last three were definetly available by Thanksgiving 1982 or just after.

1 - Cosmic Avenger (the first game developed and by Nuvatec, not Coleco, as a proof of concept)

2 - Smurf (pretty sure the first in-house Coleco programmed game)

3 - Donkey Kong

4 - Carnival

5 - Mouse Trap

6 - Venture

7 - Zaxxon

8 - Lady Bug

9 - Turbo

then other titles that would have been released soon after include:

- Space Panic

- Space Fury

- Donkey Kong Jr.

Edited by NIAD

Hi :)

In Denmark, we had in the beginning following games:

Carnival - Cosmic Avenger - DK - DK Jr. - Gorf - Lady Bug - Looping - Pepper II - Smurf - Space Fury - Space Panic - Venture and Zaxxon. (13 games)

Shortly after arriving: Blackjack/Poker - Mr. Do! - Time Pilot - Subroc - Victory - Omega Race. (6 games)

And again: Burger Time - Pitstop - Rock 'n Rope - and Tarzan. (4 games)

EDIT: Mouse Trap was the game that was packed with the CBS ColecoVision (EU).

Edited by ten-four

I like "ten-four" answer. In America, Donkey Kong Junior for the ColecoVision was release in 1983, not 1982 so it can't be considered as one of the launch titles. I think there is a good clue on the ColecoVision game system box and its ColecoVision silver (grey) catalog... at least the first pictures showing a pile of carts (mockups probably) of the launch titles.

The first 12 games are :

- Mouse Trap

- Cosmic Avenger

- Smurf

- Carnival

- Lady Bug

- Space Fury

- Zaxxon

- Blackjack/Poker

- Space Panic

- Donkey Kong

- Venture

- Turbo

That's right ;)

EDIT: Cosmic Avenger was the 1st ever CV game and the 2nd one was Smurf Rescue

I'm 100% sure. Baseball and Football were also ready for the launch of the console but Coleco has waited for the Super Action controllers.

Yeah, they were made and they also did used the spinned on the CV prototype controller

Edited by retroillucid

The first 12 games are :

- Mouse Trap

- Cosmic Avenger

- Smurf

- Carnival

- Lady Bug

- Space Fury

- Zaxxon

- Blackjack/Poker

- Space Panic

- Donkey Kong

- Venture

- Turbo

That's right ;)

EDIT: Cosmic Avenger was the 1st ever CV game and the 2nd one was Smurf Rescue

I'm 100% sure. Baseball and Football were also ready for the launch of the console but Coleco has waited for the Super Action controllers.

Yeah, they were made and they also did used the spinned on the CV prototype controller

Mention is also made of a "keyboard computer" accessory that would ultimately become the Adam.

I am not so sure why Coleco removed the spinners from the final version of their hand controllers...

~Ben

Let me see... these are the titles that were released in 1982. The first 6 were available at the August 1982 release that I can recall and the last three were definetly available by Thanksgiving 1982 or just after.

1 - Cosmic Avenger (the first game developed and by Nuvatec, not Coleco, as a proof of concept)

2 - Smurf (pretty sure the first in-house Coleco programmed game)

3 - Donkey Kong

4 - Carnival

5 - Mouse Trap

6 - Venture

7 - Zaxxon

8 - Lady Bug

9 - Turbo

then other titles that would have been released soon after include:

- Space Panic

- Space Fury

- Donkey Kong Jr.

How'd I forget about Ken Uston BlackJack & Poker? :?

• Like 1

Honestly, Yurkie, not sure what catalog that was from, but it wasn't the 1982 Sears Christmas catalog. I've got that catalog, and no Colecovision references in the book. Also doesn't appear to be Christmas from Pennys or Montgomery Ward, so not sure what all is left! Maybe Dolgins?

Ok, I was WAY off-- it's from Consumers Distributing. They were a US/Canadian catalog company with stores primarily in the Northeast US it appears. The scan was likely from their Canadian catalog. (Thanks to the scanner, Brian, for responding about it!)

Ok, I was WAY off-- it's from Consumers Distributing.

Oh! ... can't resist:

DISTRIBUTION AUX CONSOMATEURS, C'est DAC! :music:

(That was the end "tune" of the TV Advertise of Consumers Distributing in Quebec)

I used to spend many time in their stores back in the 80s, checking their catalogs and collecting their tiny blue/gray crayons :D

Do I am the only one who liked their store concept back in 80s ?

That was cool to check their catalog, filling the order form and get your stuff some days/weeks later

Oh! ... can't resist:

(That was the end "tune" of the TV Advertise of Consumers Distributing in Quebec)

I used to spend many time in their stores back in the 80s, checking their catalogs and collecting their tiny blue/gray crayons :D

That was cool to check their catalog, filling the order form and get your stuff some days/weeks later

I remember pre-ordering Mega Man V for Gameboy at Consumer's Distributing, and then waiting four months to get it. Wasn't really C-D's fault, the delay was Capcom's doing. After that sad episode, I promised myself I would never pre-order any video game ever again. And to this day, I haven't. ;)

Oh! ... can't resist:

I remember pre-ordering Mega Man V for Gameboy at Consumer's Distributing, and then waiting four months to get it. Wasn't really C-D's fault, the delay was Capcom's doing. After that sad episode, I promised myself I would never pre-order any video game ever again. And to this day, I haven't. ;)

I am with you Luc. Have "pre" ordered items, newsletters, hardware, etc that never panned out. Prefer to hit things when they are actually released.

• 7 months later...

digging up an old topic...

thanks for the answers, this is very helpful

now does anyone have any idea on what the best sellers are? were there any massive hits in the game released after 1982? specifically, i am wondering about how well donkey kong jr did... both critically and sales wise

How could Turbo be a release game?...did the Exp Module 2 come out with the console?...if so, I had no idea. All i know is CV was awesome, popular among all of us kids at the time and then...poof, all games gone only about a year later. I got mine for Christmas 84, the Exp Mod 2 the following holiday season and that was pretty much it...oh, and Dukes Of Hazzard the following year after that.