IGNORED

Complete cleaning up a Jr. console

Deja-Q

Does anybody has suggestions about cleaning up a jr. console?

Is there any "trap" I can avoid when I open it?

I know how to clean a vader but have absolutely no knowledge about the jr consoles :o

Edited by Deja-Q

As I do, when you've got the last of the screws out, just be careful and look where everything goes while it's coming apart in pieces all over you table. I don't have one, but I imagine something very similar to the Vader, where pretty much everything is mounted on a single mainboard.

Edited by SlowCoder
  • Like 1

Careful not to break off the three "clips" inside! If you turn it over and look along the edge of the console with the vents that go across the unit, at each end and in the middle, you can see a little plastic "clip". Use a small screwdriver to push them gently aside to release the bottom console from the top console.

Edited by Benzman66
  • Like 1

Thanks for the tips. Mission Accomplished!

Here are the results:

This is the console in "original" condition

1vorher.jpg

Yummy :woozy:

2vorher.jpg

The inside before...

4vorherplatine.jpg

and after cleaning

5nachherplatine.jpg

Tadaaaaaa! :D

7fertig.jpg

The deep scratch is a pitty, but nevertheless I'm so happy to get one of those black consoles.

This one is now named "Vader Jr." or simply "Luke"... cause... "I'm your father!" :lol:

• Like 2

But Murphys law is everywhere...

After organising a brand new TV cable and configuring the correct voltage on the power supply the first test wasn't really successfull.

I've got a picture but it is scrambled and looks like an army of ants is walking around.

It seems that something is wrong with the electronic. Maybe still dusty somewhere?! :?

Or is there any possibility to modify the channels internally.

I found out that if I put the channel select to ch 2 I have to switch to ch 3 on my tv.

When I choose ch 3 I have to switch to ch 4.

In both cases the picture looks terrible :sad:

Any idea?

Can you take a pic of the "scrambled" screen?

From your description, it sounds like the tuning is off in the RF modulator, or perhaps your tv?

If you have the console switched to 3, that is where it should be showing up on your tv. Being it is not, leads me to think one of them needs tuned.

Hmmm, is it like this all the time on or after it heats up? In a way, it could be a bad RF cord or corroded terminals, or it could be a cap. I would pass on the tuning issue as you can still make out the screen very well.

Try another cord and clean the RF connector on the back of the console.

• Like 1

I found out that if I put the channel select to ch 2 I have to switch to ch 3 on my tv.

When I choose ch 3 I have to switch to ch 4.

That's normal. Consoles from different areas use different channels (but they didn't change the plastic mold). Look at this scan from the Jr. manual:

post-10599-0-02711500-1312824170_thumb.jpg

You can try the rf cord from the vader: the connector is the same, but it's inside the console, so you have to unscrew and open the case.

• Like 2

Hmmm, is it like this all the time on or after it heats up? In a way, it could be a bad RF cord or corroded terminals, or it could be a cap. I would pass on the tuning issue as you can still make out the screen very well.

Try another cord and clean the RF connector on the back of the console.

COTCHA!

The best of bad reasons was the problem :lol:

I've tryed the Vader Senior cable:

p1000265oldvaderkabel.jpg

Looks like it should! Just some small interferences, no problem and even better than his daddy :D

After changing back to the "new" bought cable:

p1000266nochbler.jpg

Yikes :o

I guess the chinch end is just too loose or the quality of the cable is too poor.

I will claim it.

Thanks for the cool and easy tip!!! :thumbsup:

I've indeed cleaned the big vader but I totally forgotten the "unpluggable" tv cable. :D

@alex_79

That makes sense, thanks :thumbsup:

Now it's getting real strange! :o

I've tryed 2 different types of cable to run the Jr console.

The first, a unsiversal TV cable, was showing the interferences as described above.

Now I got a second one, it's from a nintendo snes and fits perfectly. The Interferences

are very reduced, but the "ants" are still running over the screen. Okay, the scrambling

noise is gone but it still doesn't work like it should :(

As written above: The original cable from the vader works fine with the jr, but vice

versa it doesn't.

It seems that the original ATARI cable has something special, but that cannot be, can't it?!

Any further suggestion? :_(

No. I use a regular heavy duty RF cable labeled MONTER VIDEO. They're much thicker than the original ones and have a matte finish. They aren't made just for Atari.

Monster Cable is good. But unless you're into high-quality video editing, there's no need for that much quality. For instance, last time I checked they charge $70 for a 10ft HDMI. I bought a $15 HDMI from a different brand, and couldn't be happier.

If you go to GoodWill, go to their cables bin and grab a nice set of thick composite or component cables for $4. You can pull those apart and use them individually. Each cable ends up costing ~$1, and as long as you chose good cable, should shield nicely.

No. I use a regular heavy duty RF cable labeled MONTER VIDEO. They're much thicker than the original ones and have a matte finish. They aren't made just for Atari.

Monster Cable is good. But unless you're into high-quality video editing, there's no need for that much quality. For instance, last time I checked they charge $70 for a 10ft HDMI. I bought a $15 HDMI from a different brand, and couldn't be happier.

If you go to GoodWill, go to their cables bin and grab a nice set of thick composite or component cables for $4. You can pull those apart and use them individually. Each cable ends up costing ~$1, and as long as you chose good cable, should shield nicely.

Watch out with paying to much for a 15+ hdmi cable since overall max length of the hdmi cable with good quality cable is 15m max. Even $200+ cable of lengths above 15m can't deliver a clean fault free signal.

Same goes witch cables less then 1.5m a cheap one will deliver the same picture quality as a double gold plated one, since it's a digital signal.

Edited by Seob

The one I;m using is even shorter than the 2600's controller cable... It just gives a really nice quality picture. That's all, so I reccomended it. My dad just gave it to me because the original one was very flaky and bad. I would have to tape it to display right.

Every audio engineer I've ever met thinks that Monster Cables are a total scam, and I'm strongly inclined to agree. Their business practices also border on the criminal (or at least exceedingly unethical).

Kurt Denke's rebuttal even scared ME! :P But it was a fun read.

For those of you who don't want to read thegoldenband's link above, Kurt's rebuttal was basically:

"You want to play? Show me your guns. They'd better be big guns, because my guns are bigger, and if you try to pursue me I'll kick your lilly-livered arse!"