IGNORED

LHE mod problems

ApolloBoy

Also, the external audio is too quiet.

That's because the install instructions for the audio are incorrect. Very common on 7800 A/V mods, all the attention is paid to the video and the audio is pretty much ignored.

Mitch

You need to add two resistors, one is 6.8K and the other is 18K.

On the install page, about two-thirds of the way down, it tells you to solder down the yellow wire bridging two resistors together. You don't want to do that. If it's already installed then unsolder the yellow wire and make sure that the resistors are not connected anymore. Then solder your two new resistors to the two resistors on the board that you removed the yellow wire from. The 6.8K goes to the 6.8K and the 18K to the 18K. Now bridge the free ends of the two new resistors and solder the yellow wire to them.

The pic is from the 8bitdomain video mod, it has the same issue.

Mitch

(Hmm, I really should clean up those solder joints)

7800 audio mod.jpg

I managed to fix both problems today! Mitch's fix for the external audio worked fine, and I managed to figure out why I was getting interference with 7800 games. Turns out the TIA line was creating interference, kind of like what's described in this thread. So to fix the problem, I wired up a switch that can disable the TIA line, eliminating the interference completely. Now I've got crystal clear video with both 2600 and 7800 games! Great mod aside from these two issues!

Edited by ApolloBoy

I managed to fix both problems today! Mitch's fix for the external audio worked fine, and I managed to figure out why I was getting interference with 7800 games. Turns out the TIA line was creating interference, kind of like what's described in this thread. So to fix the problem, I wired up a switch that can disable the TIA line, eliminating the interference completely. Now I've got crystal clear video with both 2600 and 7800 games! Great mod aside from these two issues!

Wow, I'll check that out. I'm on my second board, sent to me from electronicsentimentalities, and I'm getting 7800 games all in black & white, and 2600 games are completely scrambled or I get a black screen. The b&w 7800 image is crystal clear though. Re-flowed the solder on the tiny chip per LHE's suggestion and everything to no avail. I'm pretty handy with electronics, but I've yet to figure this one out.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I'll check that out. I'm on my second board, sent to me from electronicsentimentalities, and I'm getting 7800 games all in black & white, and 2600 games are completely scrambled or I get a black screen. The b&w 7800 image is crystal clear though. Re-flowed the solder on the tiny chip per LHE's suggestion and everything to no avail. I'm pretty handy with electronics, but I've yet to figure this one out.

Had a very good experience with Joe from electronicsentimentalities. He offered to look at my 7800 board and replaced it with a spare he'd had. I adore LHE's design, and I'm stoked for the support and care offered by electronicsentimentalities. If LHE Is out, check eBay for Joe's sales of the video mod!

Edited by phattyboombatty

Could you post directions on how you made this modification? I have the same problem with my 7800 LHE mod. Beautiful color in 2600 mode, b/w in 7800 mode. I'd love to try your switch idea before I send it off to LH for repair. :)