IGNORED

Monster Bash - Arcade Conversion

RKGames

Here's the list of games coming up before the end of the year (The first 3 titles will get release in about 2-3 weeks)

- Bomb n Blast

- Ozma Wars

- Chack n Pop

- Burn Rubber (FINALLY!!)

- Way of the Exploding Foot

- Side Trak

- Zombie Near

- A.E.

- Lock n Chase

You guys are going to make me broke!!! :)

Just a quick update on Monster Bash. Been super busy with work all last week and should have some time to code starting tomorrow night again. I'm hoping to have some kind of Video update on youtube for everyone this weekend! I hope anyways :)

I did find some time to come up with some very creative sprite reuse methods to help minimize the number of wasted sprites and keep 2 to 3 colors for each sprite! The problem is the player uses 3 frames of animation to walk left and right, with 3 colors, thats 9 sprites used just to walk left. and another 9 to walk right and so on. I've noticed the players yellow skin frames and eye frames if plotted carefully can really be 1 frame for ALL frames moving left and right! I just saved 10 sprite frames that i now can use for other things in the game and the end result is the players graphics look exactly the same with the same 3 color palette! There is a max of 64 spites you can load in memory from what i'm seeing, and this should give me just about all the extra sprite room i needed to get all 3 levels of the arcade in the coleco and maybe stay at 32k or maybe 64k if i really have to.

Russ

• Like 2

You should have no problem to put the 3 level in 32k for that game. (use Rle compression , and even better if you use Newcoleco's library his Dan0alt compression method is really efficient).

Just using RLE in my first CV homebrew (Ghost'n zombie) i managed to put 17 screens + 1 intro screen and 1 map screen. (and of course sound effect, jingle , sprites , game logic ) etc.. in 32k.

Concerning sprites, my last game "The way of exploding foot" uses a little less than 150 different sprites pattern. You don't need to have all your pattern load in the vdp in advance, change patterns dynamically a each animation frame.

You should have no problem to put the 3 level in 32k for that game. (use Rle compression , and even better if you use Newcoleco's library his Dan0alt compression method is really efficient).

Just using RLE in my first CV homebrew (Ghost'n zombie) i managed to put 17 screens + 1 intro screen and 1 map screen. (and of course sound effect, jingle , sprites , game logic ) etc.. in 32k.

Concerning sprites, my last game "The way of exploding foot" uses a little less than 150 different sprites pattern. You don't need to have all your pattern load in the vdp in advance, change patterns dynamically a each animation frame.

Awesome info! thanks, i had no idea that compression was available! i had no idea Ghost'n zombie was only 32k, thats very impressive!

There is a tremdous amount of noise in your video, perhaps a fan?

Anyway I thought I heard you say you are having controller problems... Send them to me and I will refurbish them for free.

Awesome! I'll send them monday/tuesday after work, that will help alot! Message me your address when you have time. Yes you are right i had my fan on High and didnt realize how loud it would be in the video. I'll try to turn it off for future videos!

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

Any new progress Russ

Hey everyone. I'm moved into my new house (well new to me and the wife anyways, not new new). The movers managed to destroy a wall leading to the garage by dropping my NeoGeo 4slot arcade cabinet on it's side! luckily i replaced the monitor with a 24 inch LCD PC monitor with a jamma to VGA adapter and the LCD survived the drop. i'm betting that would had killed the CRT?! The big downfall is it gives my wife even more of a reason to despise my arcade cabinet collection (so-far have 5 of them).

Anyways, I'm mostly done setting up my office and actually did code last night for 30 minutes for the first time in a week or so. I fixed the top candles so they look right when lit. I will be continuing work on the game this week and hopefully with have a progress video on youtube for next weekend?!

Russ

Any new progress Russ

Hey everyone. I'm moved into my new house (well new to me and the wife anyways, not new new). The movers managed to destroy a wall leading to the garage by dropping my NeoGeo 4slot arcade cabinet on it's side! luckily i replaced the monitor with a 24 inch LCD PC monitor with a jamma to VGA adapter and the LCD survived the drop. i'm betting that would had killed the CRT?! The big downfall is it gives my wife even more of a reason to despise my arcade cabinet collection (so-far have 5 of them).

Anyways, I'm mostly done setting up my office and actually did code last night for 30 minutes for the first time in a week or so. I fixed the top candles so they look right when lit. I will be continuing work on the game this week and hopefully with have a progress video on youtube for next weekend?!

Russ

So, you're not in jail? ... What?!!! .... you did not killed that idiot!?

Well..... you're really a nice guy!

Gezz..... do they know how those things worth for us!?

:lol: ........

seriously, enjoy your "new" .. "not new" house! :D ;)

Any new progress Russ

Russ

I know what you mean. I have 26 arcade machines and my wife hates everyone (except Ms. Pac-Man) and asks me daily when am I going to sell some of them. I reply never and the fun starts. Congrats on the "new" "not-new" home. Keep up the amazing coding work!!!!! Can't wait for this game. Looks awsome!

I know what you mean. I have 26 arcade machines and my wife hates everyone (except Ms. Pac-Man) and asks me daily when am I going to sell some of them. I reply never and the fun starts. Congrats on the "new" "not-new" home. Keep up the amazing coding work!!!!! Can't wait for this game. Looks awsome!

Very cool! only 26 arcades? I'm trying to find a japanese candy cabinet on the east coast! not easy at all. i see alot of west coast collectors on youtube with nothing but candy cabs! I'm hoping to convert my mini tic-tac-trivia into a multi neo MVS in the winter.

Any new progress Russ

Russ

So, you're not in jail? ... What?!!! .... you did not killed that idiot!?

Well..... you're really a nice guy!

Gezz..... do they know how those things worth for us!?

:lol: ........

seriously, enjoy your "new" .. "not new" house! :D ;)

I think i was in more fear of the reaction from my wife looking at the wall, then the possibility that my neo cab was toast. Surprisingly the cabinet had NO damage and still plays great! i did a better job then i thought with mounting the LCD monitor in the cabinet! so Neo MVS cabinet 1, house 0.

Yeah, the wife ....

When me moved to my actual place, she told me to un-assemble my MAME cab :(

Hey! ..... know what?

I started spreading all my gaming consoles everywhere then she told me it used to take too much space.... then I said: That's why I need to re-assemble my MAME Cab wich take only some space...

Now, my MAME cab is back on its feet and can enjoy all those great games back again!

Yes, I'm bad :twisted: ..... to the bones :skull:

A trick to have more sprites is to redefine sprites in every frame, I did this in Zombie Near, as there are two players (man and woman) with slightly different sprites, 4 directions by 4 frames = 16 sprites by two players = 32 sprites, almost half of sprite-table, the solution was to assign two fixed sprites redefined continuosly. And wait, there are big bosses, 2 directions by 4 sprites by 2 frames = 16 sprites, and one player can be fighting with one boss and the other with other different boss, so this is complicated... you can imagine it ;)