IGNORED

Monster Bash - Arcade Conversion

RKGames

A trick to have more sprites is to redefine sprites in every frame, I did this in Zombie Near, as there are two players (man and woman) with slightly different sprites, 4 directions by 4 frames = 16 sprites by two players = 32 sprites, almost half of sprite-table, the solution was to assign two fixed sprites redefined continuosly. And wait, there are big bosses, 2 directions by 4 sprites by 2 frames = 16 sprites, and one player can be fighting with one boss and the other with other different boss, so this is complicated... you can imagine it ;)

Thanks for the tip!!! great info!

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my latest video update to Monster bash.

Quite nice. :) I don't think you'll be able to get much better flicker than what you have there. Having sprites that flicker even faster would make them appear downright transparent, which may not be ideal on a background that isn't pure black. So I think what you have now, in your latest build, is more than acceptable.

Here is my latest video update to Monster bash.

Quite nice. :) I don't think you'll be able to get much better flicker than what you have there. Having sprites that flicker even faster would make them appear downright transparent, which may not be ideal on a background that isn't pure black. So I think what you have now, in your latest build, is more than acceptable.

Coool! thanks for the comment! I've been trying and trying to make the flicker as minimal as possible. it's been quite the challenge.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, just wanted to check in and say i'm back working on monster bash! My day job has been super busy and it's slowing down so now that my projects are wrapping up. i should have some time to focus again. Last night I spent alot of time getting the Dracula sprite for level 1 to be 100% arcade pixel perfect! well ok, maybe like 95%. not to mention i got his walk cycle (left only for now) completed and he looks great, he's 24 pixels tall and uses 3 colors like the arcade! If i get enough done i'll post a youtube video this weekend! Now that i got mame running on my mac i'll be fine tuning the sprites to get them dead on to the arcade!

Russ

• Like 1

Another quick update. tonight i got dracula walking left and right, and added the tile checking logic so i can tell when he walks infront of ladders or warp doors. tomorrow i'll start working on that logic, hopefully by the end of the weekend Dracula will be fully mobile and i can get much closer to finishing level 1's logic!

I still need to draw in dracula's right walk cycle, i'm using the left cycle for both movements at the moment. HE'S ALIVE! sorry couldn't myself to say that seeing that's Halloween time :)

Russ

I just posted another quick update to Monster bash on youTube. plus there is a BIG question at 4:50 into the video for the group here! Please let me know what you think of my idea. Not sure if it's a good one but let me know your thoughts! Dan, please let me know what you think as well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Uf7xYjZC94

Take care

Russ

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. Been busy working long hours at work again for the last 2 weeks. I've been ironing out some bugs in draculas walking logic. sometimes he gets stuck on a ladder. it happens maybe after 3 or 4 minutes of play, the average level only lasts 1 to 2 minutes at most so its possibly not an issue. Anyways i am also researching how to do a palette swap on a char tile during gameplay. I would love to be able to change the background windows color like in the arcade when the cloud covers the moon and makes it darker outside. If anyone have any info on this let me know. I've tried the change_multicolor() examples in dans coleco manual but it jumbles the entire char and sprite tiles for some reason!

Take care

Russ

• Like 1

Just a quick update. Been busy working long hours at work again for the last 2 weeks. I've been ironing out some bugs in draculas walking logic. sometimes he gets stuck on a ladder. it happens maybe after 3 or 4 minutes of play, the average level only lasts 1 to 2 minutes at most so its possibly not an issue. Anyways i am also researching how to do a palette swap on a char tile during gameplay. I would love to be able to change the background windows color like in the arcade when the cloud covers the moon and makes it darker outside. If anyone have any info on this let me know. I've tried the change_multicolor() examples in dans coleco manual but it jumbles the entire char and sprite tiles for some reason!

Take care

Russ

I'm not sure of what you are talking exactly ,but if you want change the color of a pattern dynamically , just determine its address in the color table and change the value (8 bytes if you want change color of each row) using put_vram for instance.

I love how the light level changes in the windows. Nice touch.

Glad you dropped the black eyes sprite from the player character, now if I can convince you to drop the red out of Dracula's cape. I know you want things to look as nice as possible, but for the sake of reducing flicker bats should probably be only one color. The awesome background of the Mansion adds a lot to the game, kind of like the Castle in Mr. Do's Castle does. Parker Bros probably used one color unicorns to minimize flicker.

Thanks for the new video.

• Like 1

I love how the light level changes in the windows. Nice touch.

Glad you dropped the black eyes sprite from the player character, now if I can convince you to drop the red out of Dracula's cape. I know you want things to look as nice as possible, but for the sake of reducing flicker bats should probably be only one color. The awesome background of the Mansion adds a lot to the game, kind of like the Castle in Mr. Do's Castle does. Parker Bros probably used one color unicorns to minimize flicker.

Thanks for the new video.

+1 ! :)

i'm looking foward for that game to be released. it will be awesome!!