IGNORED

Monster Bash - Arcade Conversion

RKGames

So when are you planning to get started on the other levels of the game, Russ? :)

Very soon. Since my last video i now have the player blinking when you get the sword and also have the 1 shot super zapper coded in like the arcade, i also added the slight delay in dracula moving at the beginning of the level like the arcade. I only have a hand full of things left to code in level 1. I think level 1 will be done by next weekend and then i can start level 2, but i think level 2 and 3 will only take another 1-2 weeks at most each. all the logic in level 1 will be reused so once level 1 is complete i think i can go as far as to say the game will be 50% done because the rest should fall into place quickly.

I do need to begin testing on how to load a new full char set for level2. level 1 uses almost an entire char set, only about 30 chars left.

The arcade only has 3 levels. if i have enough room left I'm VERY tempted to add an all new 4th, maybe even 5th level to the game! adding new levels should be super easy the way i coded the game. I'll let everyone know once i get much closer to completion if we should add a new 4th level.

Russ

Edited by RKGames

The arcade only has 3 levels. if i have enough room left I'm VERY tempted to add an all new 4th, maybe even 5th level to the game! adding new levels should be super easy the way i coded the game. I'll let everyone know once i get much closer to completion if we should add a new 4th level.

May I suggest a mummy as the fourth-level boss? The level could be a pyramid (or maybe a pharaoh-themed museum) with zombies as the minor critters... :)

The fifth level boss could be Big Foot, set in an abandoned mine, with ghosts as minor critters. :D

Just a few ideas of the top of my head. :)

At first I wasn't that excited about this game but as you have made it better and better I admit that I think it looks great! It is one game that I look foward to purchasing. Keep up the awesome work!!

As soon as RK announced that he was working on a CV version of this game, I fired up MAME to see what Monster Bash was all about as I had never played it before. From the limited time I had to play, I found it a very fun and challenging game.

Another GREAT choice RK! I'm really looking forward to all the latest updates on the game's continuing development and hoping that you will have the available rom space to add a level or two of your own creation. BTW Pixelboy, really like the idea of a Mummy level set in a Pyramid or museum... think that would fit perfectly with the other levels.

At first I wasn't that excited about this game but as you have made it better and better I admit that I think it looks great! It is one game that I look foward to purchasing. Keep up the awesome work!!

As soon as RK announced that he was working on a CV version of this game, I fired up MAME to see what Monster Bash was all about as I had never played it before. From the limited time I had to play, I found it a very fun and challenging game.

Another GREAT choice RK! I'm really looking forward to all the latest updates on the game's continuing development and hoping that you will have the available rom space to add a level or two of your own creation. BTW Pixelboy, really like the idea of a Mummy level set in a Pyramid or museum... think that would fit perfectly with the other levels.

After following RK's work I agree 100% this looks like an awesome game. His attention to the details is classy, and I look forward to playing this game sometime soon.

After following RK's work I agree 100% this looks like an awesome game. His attention to the details is classy, and I look forward to playing this game sometime soon.

Thanks guys! I really wanted to choose a game that i felt i could do a decent conversion of and i always thought Monster Bash was a neat little game. I remember playing it at showbiz pizza back in the early 80s as a kid and could never get past level 2. Hopefully it will be a nice addition to the coleco library when i'm done.

Quick Progress update: you can now kill Dracula. I completed the death animation for him and it looks really neat! I'll post a video this weekend!

Take care

Russ

Nice video, that shows good progress, but yet again, I can hardly hear your voice. Heck, the fan on my PC covers up your voice quite well. The only time when I can clearly hear you is when you cough. :P

Seriously, you need to do something about this. Is there a microphone jack on your video recorder? Perhaps you could get a head set or something...?

Nice video, that shows good progress, but yet again, I can hardly hear your voice. Heck, the fan on my PC covers up your voice quite well. The only time when I can clearly hear you is when you cough. :P

Seriously, you need to do something about this. Is there a microphone jack on your video recorder? Perhaps you could get a head set or something...?

The Audio quality, for me, was very clear and easily understandable.

The Audio quality, for me, was very clear and easily understandable.

Sorry for the low sound, i was trying to record while everyone was sleeping and didnt want to talk too loud. I use an ipod Nano for my video recordings so the mic on it is not the best i guess. I'll see what i can do for future videos on the sound! thanks for the feedback!

Russ

Everytime I see a new video of your progress the more impressed I am. I didn't know anything about this game, never saw it before ever, but you have me hooked on it for sure!

The second screen looks great!

Keep up the great work!

Thanks! i'm glad that i was able to spark you interest in what i think was a really great sleeper title for sega! If the game had a few more levels to it, i think it would have been more successful. thats me anyways.

Quick Monster Bash update. Sorry no video till the weekend, ok maybe i'll get one up on thanksgiving :)

- I added the frame for the player kneeling when shooting. this really makes it look much nicer! i also added the little hesitation from moving when firing like in the arcade.

- Level complete dance animation for player (i know it's silly but it's in there)

- Frankenstein boss sprites are about 25% done.

- Added some tweaks to the level 2 background

- added bonus countdown to level complete function

It's challenging to get large amounts of time to code, so i keep chipping away 30 to 60 minutes a night.

Take care

Russ

Edited by RKGames

Quick Monster Bash update. Sorry no video till the weekend, ok maybe i'll get one up on thanksgiving :)

- I added the frame for the player kneeling when shooting. this really makes it look much nicer! i also added the little hesitation from moving when firing like in the arcade.

- Level complete dance animation for player (i know it's silly but it's in there)

- Frankenstein boss sprites are about 25% done.

- Added some tweaks to the level 2 background

- added bonus countdown to level complete function

It's challenging to get large amounts of time to code, so i keep chipping away 30 to 60 minutes a night.

Take care

Russ

I think your attention to detail is great! As I said I know nothing about this game except what I have seen from you and it looks great. I hope in the future you plan do to more stuff like this.

Pretty awesome stuff.

I posted a 12 second video capture from the coleco emulator and posted on youTube to show all the new level detail i added to level 2 of monster Bash, let me know what you think! Level 2 now officially looks better on the coleco then the arcade :) i'm thinking of giving level 1 the a makeover as well (just adding faded brick and shading effect to open plain areas). let me know if you like or hate this change to level 2. As you will see Frankenstein is now done and running around. i got lots more todo but wanted to show a clear screen capture. i'll get a longer and narrated video up for the weekend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnlKihhrz60

Happy Thanksgiving everyone,

Russ

• Like 1