IGNORED

Monster Bash - Arcade Conversion

RKGames

Just a quick Update on my progress on Monster Bash conversion.

- The candles in level 1 now burn out and regenerate after a while, like in the arcade version

- If the player gets the super zapper shot, the boss runs twice as fast making it harder to hit him and increasing the chances he will catch you.

- Level 1 got another minor tile upgrade to look even better.

- Level 2 werewolf enemy sprites are at about 50% complete

Hopefully i'll have another progress video for the weekend?!

Take care

Russ

Edited by RKGames
  • Like 1

RKGames , there is a problem with your game.... Graphically it is nicer than the arcade version!!!! I love your graphics!

however , If you have enough rom space to do that, you should add an option to use monochrome sprites (at least for monsters) to be able to play without (or less) flickering if we wish.

Just had a big read through. I really enjoyed the amount of updates and progress this project has. It looks great!

n00b question: What's the devkit that is being used in the first video?

The devkit i show in the video is the tile / sprite editor in (Dan B's) newColeco's coleco sdk. it's free to download from his site, it takes only a little googling to find, or IM the user newcoleco on the atariage forums if interested, Dan is a friendly and very helpful person if you are looking to get into coleco development. hope this helps

Russ

RKGames , there is a problem with your game.... Graphically it is nicer than the arcade version!!!! I love your graphics!

however , If you have enough rom space to do that, you should add an option to use monochrome sprites (at least for monsters) to be able to play without (or less) flickering if we wish.

Thanks a lot for the nice comment on the game! I will see about adding a mono sprite mode as an option! All these sprites and 2 tile sets are starting to take their toll on rom size. I still have some optimizations, but i'm at 29k with only 2 levels. I need to get some info on bank switching most likely soon?! i think i can save about 4 to 5k by some code and tile set cleanup/reuse that i've been meaning to get to. I'f i'm super careful i might be able to get it all in 32k, but that's also not including any music or sound. so i might need to exceed 32k on this one. any ideas or info on bank switching from anyone on here PLEASE let me know how easy / hard it is on the coleco!

Russ

Seeing the kind of graphic that has this game , you should be able quiet easly to make work this game in 32k including sound and music and code.

Do you use RLE compression? How many pattern and color table do you use? (i think it could be possible to do your graphic using only one pattern and color table not 3 of each ).

Are you using Daniel 's Development kit? He has implemented special compression routine (DAN0) that give better result than RLE .

• 1 month later...

Hey Russ havent heard from you in a while just wanted to know if you had any new updates.

Thanks for asking! I put the game on hold for a little so i can focus on my CV tracker - music composer application to help myself and other homebrew developers create coleco tunes easier! Once that is done i'll be jumping back into Game dev. Plus i gotta start thinking of something neat todo for the colecovision 30th anniversary! I hope i didnt miss it, i think it's in august? correct me if i'm wrong anyone.

Oh, and tomorrow marks my 1 year anniversary on the atari age forumns, all considering i had a good year, i finished Side Trak, got Monster bash about 50% complete and am working on a coleco music composer tool.

Here is a youtube video of the CV tracker playing a familiar song (in midi for now, soon it should be playing on the coleco :) )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_sAXYjc8Hw

Take care,

Russ

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just a quick update on Monster Bash. yes that game i started back in august is finally getting some attention again :) I got the first 2 of 3 levels just about completed, and have tonight resumed work on my graphics and code overhaul to get some rom space back! The reason for the slow dev time was i just about ran out of rom space (32k max) to early in the dev process. I got 6k back tonight from my graphics re-org work, so the rom weighs in at 25.1k now. that should just about be enough to get level 3 coded and hopefully some simple but nice music?!?!? I want to be sure to have this done for the 30th coleco anniversary so i'll keep everyone posted on my progress as always and will hopefully have a progress video up on youtube if i get more work done in the next few days!

P.S. CV Tracker is on hold only until i get monster bash done. I had a few too many projects going at once.

Russ

• Like 2

Great news Russ! Good luck with the completion of Monster Bash as I, and I'm sure many others, am really looking forward to the completion of it. Seeing as it sounds like you won't have room on a 32K rom for adding new levels like you discussed previously... maybe a Monster Bash II could be considered for next year as I'd love to see all what you could come up with as far as new levels and monsters.

• Like 1

Great news Russ! Good luck with the completion of Monster Bash as I, and I'm sure many others, am really looking forward to the completion of it. Seeing as it sounds like you won't have room on a 32K rom for adding new levels like you discussed previously... maybe a Monster Bash II could be considered for next year as I'd love to see all what you could come up with as far as new levels and monsters.

MB2! I like the way you're thinking! :)

I made a trading card for this game and I totally forgot someone was working on it! The progress looks great. I can't wait to see the finished game.

Here's some more inspiration (if you need it):

post-9874-0-23646800-1335532027_thumb.jpg post-9874-0-20476100-1335532041_thumb.jpg

WOW is that awesome!!!! Great box art work! I would say yes, that is one heck of a motivator to getting the game done!!!! I hope JF uses this as the actual box art (providing he is still interested in publishing this one for me?)

Quick update. more graphics/code cleanup from very late last night gets me down to 24.5k so i got just about all the rom space i need to finish.

Russ

• Like 1

I made a trading card for this game and I totally forgot someone was working on it! The progress looks great. I can't wait to see the finished game.

Here's some more inspiration (if you need it):

post-9874-0-23646800-1335532027_thumb.jpg post-9874-0-20476100-1335532041_thumb.jpg

WOW is that awesome!!!! Great box art work! I would say yes, that is one heck of a motivator to getting the game done!!!! I hope JF uses this as the actual box art (providing he is still interested in publishing this one for me?)

Quick update. more graphics/code cleanup from very late last night gets me down to 24.5k so i got just about all the rom space i need to finish.

Russ

Thats great!!! Its wonderful to hear that you working on this again! I really can't wait to play this :-D :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to post a quick update on my Monster Bash coleco vision conversion. I didnt have time like i was hoping to shot a video but instead wanted to share some nice screen shots to help show the detail of the level redesigns! you will also notice the bat sprites are now single color to give me back some sprite space and to lower the flicker slightly in the game.

lvl1-1.png

lvl1-2.png

lvl1-3.png

lvl2-1.png

Level 2 will have werewolves instead of bats for the enemies, i'm coding them in next.

Level 3 character set is 50% complete and i'm hoping to have a screen shot in the next week to post!

Take care,

Russ

• Like 3