IGNORED

"Standard" Flash OS Mod for XLs

dmlloyd

Topic says it all. I want to replace my 600XL's 16K OS with a programmable flash device. It has to be easily removed or disabled in case I banjax it. I'd like to be able to reflash in-system. Multiple OSes is a nice-to-have, I suppose, but not really essential at all. Flashable BASIC image is also not necessary as I intend to disable the internal BASIC mechanism anyways.

So, is there a common solution that folks use?

I recommend the 32-in-1 OS: http://www.atarimax.com/warpos/documentation/

In a stock 600 XL all Chips should be socketed, so all you have to do is to remove the OS Chip, insert the 32-in-1 OS, solder three (3) cables to resistors (really simple!) and there you go.

Flashing can be done using an AtariMax 8MBitFlash Cart, no need for the programmer. But with the programmer you can flash directly from the PC/MAC (using BootCamp and/or Parallels Desktop).

Edited by skr

AtariMax 32in1 or their internal IDE + OS. Although 32in1 can't and I don't think the IDE one can be flashed "in place".

Maybe a 1 Megabit cart could be somehow modified to serve as an in-place flashable 8 in 1 OS.

Although only 8K is visible at once which might present a problem. A method could be devised to automate the bank-switching with a combination of latched bits + high/low 8K region.

But the selection would occur on the same cycle as the memory access, so mightn't work.

Topic says it all. I want to replace my 600XL's 16K OS with a programmable flash device. It has to be easily removed or disabled in case I banjax it. I'd like to be able to reflash in-system. Multiple OSes is a nice-to-have, I suppose, but not really essential at all. Flashable BASIC image is also not necessary as I intend to disable the internal BASIC mechanism anyways.

So, is there a common solution that folks use?

I guess this may be of interest: 32-in-1 Switchless Upgrade

Maybe a 1 Megabit cart could be somehow modified to serve as an in-place flashable 8 in 1 OS.

You need the 8MBit Flash Cart and get two Chips flashed from which you take one to replace the Chip which on the OS Board. Then you take the "old" chip, put it into the 8MBit cartridge and flash it with whatever you want. Preparation is done with a simple web interface, just go to the Atarimax board and ask for assistance. Easy. :-)

As far as I know, FLASH-ROM is a bloody pain, and doing so on an OS basis will be more so. There are basically 3 types of OS-es. XL, 800, custom. Even if you ever need more than 3 of them, just burn them into an eprom and hook it up and be glad. Before my system got fried, I had 10 OS chips inside my bitbucket, but I actually never used most of them.

If you are trying to develop new OS-es, it may come in handy, but then again, Altirra can do the job of testing your new OS stuff, and you can eventually burn it into an eprom, once it's past the "crash and redo" stages.

I agree - somewhat...

Battery backed-up SRAM is probably the best and easiest programmable storage for this purpose. It's not as 'neat' as Flash, but it needs no complicated s/w to load - you just write. It's the same as pushing the OS into RAM under the OS ROM, only it is non-volatile and you still have the RAM under the OS for whatever.

I was aprehensive about data integrity at first, but I've had no problems with code stored in one for more than 10 years. (well, I changed the battery...)

You do need to write-protect it, however.

Bob

As far as I know, FLASH-ROM is a bloody pain, and doing so on an OS basis will be more so. There are basically 3 types of OS-es. XL, 800, custom. Even if you ever need more than 3 of them, just burn them into an eprom and hook it up and be glad. Before my system got fried, I had 10 OS chips inside my bitbucket, but I actually never used most of them.

If you are trying to develop new OS-es, it may come in handy, but then again, Altirra can do the job of testing your new OS stuff, and you can eventually burn it into an eprom, once it's past the "crash and redo" stages.

I was thinking about this last night and remembered there is also this product Wice M4.

I think it has been mentioned before.I think by "compact" in the description they mean it is smaller than other eprom emulators, it looks a bit tall to me :)

Downsides are:

1) the cost

2) you won't be able to get the case of your atari back together when connected.

BTW this is like Bob's idea of having an SRAM based OS solution just a more generic product, you can use it on other systems if you want

OK strike the above.

I did a quick search on "batterybacked SRAM" and found this "http://www.futureelectronics.com/en/technologies/semiconductors/memory/battery-backed-sram/Pages/3204955-M48Z35Y-70PC1.aspx"

it looks like they only cost about $8-9 and you can fit two OS images in one (32K)

Edited by Sub(Function(:))

Yes - you need some foolproof write protection (boot with joystick pins active - write once lockout - etc.) and a way to switch from system RAM to SRAM. So, you need a PCB. Might as well do it all with piece parts.

Might as well put the PBI code in there...

And, some carts...

Bob

(didn't somebody do this already?)

That SRAM looks cool. If only they provided an easy way to disable writes, it'd be a lot more instantly useful.