IGNORED

Happy 30th Birthday, Ms. Pac-Man

PacManPlus

Sorry about the freezing thing - I have to keep putting it back because it's ProSystem that has the bug (I'm just working around it).

Should be fixed now, as well as Ms. Pac-Man being up 1 line too high. (First post).

Thanks guys,

Bob

I really need to test this on the real thing. Has anyone tried the bins in a cuttle cart on the real thing yet?

Awesome! Thanks. Will you turn this into a real cart that you can buy? Whatever happened to the Pac-Man 320 game? I can't find the thread/ROMS. I noticed one bug. Twice in a row in one game, I kept going through Blinky. Just some notes, would it be possible to make the start song (no pun intended) the same as the arcade version? I'm whipping up some sheet music right now. Is it just me or are the character (Ms. P, Ghosts) sprites shprter in the update? I reccommend you put on the titlescreen:

COPYRIGHT MIDWAY 1981

Or

COPYRIGHT PACMANPLUS 2011

or

COPYRIGHT MIDWAY 1981

ADAPTED BY PACMANPLUS 2011

Sorry if I sound bossy, I'm just giving you some suggestions.

Edited by Jr. Pac

Nevermind, guys - I just tried it on the real thing, and I get the same *hard to replicate, rarely happens* memory issue that I got (and thought I resolved) in PacMan 320. It doesn't happen on any of the emulators, only on an actual 7800. This is the bug: one of the Display Lists gets overwritten in memory. I can't figure out what causes this to happen because it happens so infrequently. It affected the Character Mode DL in Pac 320, causing part of the maze to get corrupt (only in the DL, so it was still playable). Here, it seems to happen in one of the monster's DL (so part of them 'disappears' in a specific zone). Can't make carts of either game until I figure this out.

@Jr. Pac: The title music *is* the same as the arcade. Sometimes you have to modulate the key of the song to fit within the note range of the TIA/Pokey. Also, you can rarely move through a monster in the arcade. It might happen slightly more often on Pac 320 and Ms. Pac 320 because each 'tile' is 4x8 instead of 8x8 (the less pixels, the more of a chance of the player/monster swapping tiles at the exact same time). It can't be helped because I want to use the same method of collision detection as the arcade.

Thank guys.

Bob

I've been playing this game for 30 years, and I am a musician for almost as long. It is the same, just in a different key.

Not that it matters, I'm not changing the music. I didn't want to spend a lot of time on this because I wanted to get back to Moon Cresta. Now that this memory issue showed up, I may just move back to Moon Cresta and come back to this later.

• Like 1

TACT

noun

1. a keen sense of what to say or do to avoid giving offense; skill in dealing with difficult or delicate situations.

2. a keen sense of what is appropriate, tasteful, or aesthetically pleasing; taste; discrimination.

• Like 1

Thanks, Allan. I didn't want to turn this thread into anything else but what it should be focused on, but your post nails what is missing by a very 'over eager' and 'aggressive' poster.

Back on track...

Bob, don't rack your brains too hard over the memory issue...Sometimes it is indeed best to leave it and then the solution may just come to you down the road.

Great job as usual Bob!

The only thing I noticed is that you are using the pacman "eat monster" sound for the POKEY version. I'm starting to wonder if it even makes sense to produce a POKEY version of Pac-man Collection now that these 320 versions are available.

Perry

I'm a Pac junkie my entire life (have an original cabinet and can get halfway to a perfect score) PCP what you do is awesome! Any chance for a two player simultanious mode in one of your Pac games like the SNES or Sega carts?

For the record, please produce the Pokey updated Collection. Even though 320 is very pretty, I like to see the entire playfield when I'm playing for score. I would also love the 320 version just to show company what some genius made on 7800. :)

Thanks Guys :)

I think I may have found the memory bug. There was just too many things going on at once (The Pokey Code has more going on than the TIA sound code). I removed all of the interrupts but the top and the bottom (they were originally on every zone). I played to the Pear and it was fine.

I've updated the first post with the new bin, and I'm off to update the Pac-Man 320 post as well.

The only thing I noticed is that you are using the pacman "eat monster" sound for the POKEY version. I'm starting to wonder if it even makes sense to produce a POKEY version of Pac-man Collection now that these 320 versions are available.

Perry

Yeah, I noticed that too, but I used the same sound data from the 'Ms. Pac-Man' section of Pac-Man Collection that you modified for Pokey. I'm not following how that happened... :(

Also, you had to know this was coming... :)

post-1787-0-66678200-1313027133_thumb.jpg

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 2

:)

I actually thought about it while I was doing the 320 Pac-Man version, but dismissed it quickly because of the color issue (Ms. Pac-Man with a blue bow?)

But when more people started asking about it (you were the first) ;) - added with the fact that there was no '30th anniversary' hype from Namco like they did with Pac-Man (I know the story of where it came from but they still ended up 'owning' it eventually), I decided to take a weekend away from Moon Cresta and "get 'er done". Blue lipstick and all (not on me, on the sprite) :D

In fact, I was going to PM you to let you know that I did it.

Thanks,

Bob

Here is the music mock-up. It's in my gallery. (the video is not aligned with the audio and everything's transposed to C major. The 1st one is the arcade and 2nd is 7800.) You don't have to change it. Are pre-orders ready? ;)

I've been playing this game for 30 years, and I am a musician for almost as long. It is the same, just in a different key.

Not that it matters, I'm not changing the music. I didn't want to spend a lot of time on this because I wanted to get back to Moon Cresta. Now that this memory issue showed up, I may just move back to Moon Cresta and come back to this later.

Bob

Right so,cause i like MC more.....But your 320 Birthday MS PAC MAN is also great.If it will be released on cart,count me in,like for all of your projects. :)

greetings Walter