IGNORED

files format

rocky007

hi everyobdy,

I checked in forum but didn't found the answer.

I need to use real PC99 or V9T9 image ( for Hxc2001 ).

So what program can create PC99 or V9T9 image file ? Is TIdir use V9T9 format ? When i create a .DSK and convert in HFE, it's not reconized.

Edited by rocky007

hi everyobdy,

So what program can create PC99 or V9T9 image file ? Is TIdir use V9T9 format ? When i create a .DSK and convert in HFE, it's not reconized.

TIDir makes TIFILES or V9T9 but you are screwed for PC99 as it only goes one way from PC99 to something else.

There is a new VDP99 but I have not figured it out yet so far.

and to create a PC99 image from scratch ? is a tool existing for this ?

Not that I know of, otherwise I would be using my Virtual PC under Wind98SE and PC99 as it supports using a 80 column card with 1024K AMS and true GRAM just like a real TI.

As time goes on less devices are supported. Classic99 has AMS and 1 bank of GRAM and there is talk of a 80 column support.

I admit I would like the backwards compatibility to test stuff on PC99.

hi everyobdy,

I think TI99-PC will take a disk image file and convert it to PC-99 but don't quote me on it. I would ping the Y-group(s) for answers or EM Ernest Pergram. He will know the answer.

hi everyobdy,

I think TI99-PC will take a disk image file and convert it to PC-99 but don't quote me on it. I would ping the Y-group(s) for answers or EM Ernest Pergram. He will know the answer.

The TI99DIR Tools menu has the following options (I'm using version 5.2k, there might be a more up to date version on Fred's web site)

• Convert TI file to PC file
  • Convert PC file to TI file
  • Convert TIFILES file to V9T9 file
  • Convert V9T9 file to TIFILES file
  • Convert PC99 Disk Image to V9T9 Disk Image
  • Show PC99 disk image track and sector layout
  • Backup TI formatted SCS / IDE / WDS / or CF7A+ disk image
  • Restore TI formatted SCS / IDE / WDS / or CF7A+ disk image

Yea you can view or convert PC99 to TIFILES or V9T9 but you can not take a V9T9 or TIFILES and make a PC99 file.

You would have to physically build one from scratch. I guess this is to force you to not use PC99 as far as I can tell.

Yea you can view or convert PC99 to TIFILES or V9T9 but you can not take a V9T9 or TIFILES and make a PC99 file.

I guess this is to force you to not use PC99 as far as I can tell.

Force ? Maybe there hasn't been requests or a personal need. Maybe Fred hasn't got access to PC99 and therefore unable to test output from Ti99Dir. Or he thought PC99 isn't used or supported much these days. Maybe PC99 asked him not to. As I understand PC99 has been rather protective. If I was to accuse or tell anyone of "forcing" something, it would certainly be PC99 and not Fred.

:cool:

Anyone got any references for this "VDP99" ?

:)

Edited by sometimes99er

Force ? Maybe there hasn't been requests or a personal need. Maybe Fred hasn't got access to PC99 and therefore unable to test output from Ti99Dir. Or he thought PC99 isn't used or supported much these days. Maybe PC99 asked him not to. As I understand PC99 has been rather protective. If I was to accuse or tell anyone of "forcing" something, it would certainly be PC99 and not Fred.

:cool:

Last time I talked to Mike he said no one wanted to support PC99 but him, and Mark had already washed his hands of the project.

http://www.nouspikel.com/ti99/vdm99.htm

So I guess I mistakenly took it for granted that the one way flow was on purpose. My mistake, I assumed.

Last time I talked to Mike he said no one wanted to support PC99 but him, and Mark had already washed his hands of the project.

So I guess I mistakenly took it for granted that the one way flow was on purpose. My mistake, I assumed.

What do I know. :)

So this Mike and Mark are not from this forum, but some people who used to work on the PC99 and not just the format ?

http://www.nouspikel.com/ti99/vdm99.htm

Okay, so it's VDM99. Thought it might be a new format, but I see it's a program.

So this Mike and Mark are not from this forum, but some people who used to work on the PC99 and not just the format ?

My guess is that the mentioned Mike and Mark are Mike Wright and Mark van Coppenolle, two of the three developers of PC99.

The third developer, not mentioned, was Greg Hill.

Tony

Yea Mark was my business partner for selling RXB on disk when the GRAMULATER was out there, but he also sold them to the PRAM and GRAMKRACKER people.

I made a little money from the sales. Mike was a buddy I talked to by phone about twice a month long distance on the phone, both great people. And I was not involved with the PC99 project that was much later.

• 8 months later...

In case some of you don't visit the Y! groups very often, I thought I'd post an update and let everyone know that Thierry has released a new version of VDM99.

You can check it out and download it here: http://www.nouspikel.com/ti99/vdm99.htm

I really like the program and have found it so much easier to keep my physical disks organized along with my disk images. Here's a quick synopsis:

Virtual Disk Manager 99, is a disk manager program that can handle three types of "drives":

• Files on your PC that contain a TI-99/4A disk image in either DOAD format (i.e. sequential sector dump) or PC99 formats (containing track information).
  • Real drives on a remote TI-99/4A connected to your PC with a serial or parallel cable (this did not work with version 1.0, but was fixed in version 1.1).
  • Emulated drives, inside my Bug99 debugger (you'll need Bug99 version 2.0 or higher).

Starting with version 2.0, VDM99 also offers database support: You can "scan" a disk and store the characteristics of the disk and all its files into an MS Access database. You can then browse the database, or query it in various manners to locate a disk or a file, find on which disk a given file resides, etc. Note that the workspace file format changed with version 2, so you cannot reuse workspaces saved with version 1.x.

One very important note! You must have the correct version of DAO installed otherwise the program crashes immediately upon launch.

You can download the correct DAO setup files from Microsoft here: http://download.microsoft.com/download/vc40std/patch/1/win98/en-us/daoredis.exe

All the best!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That download does not work with Win7 64-bit. What is the correct version of the DAO that I'm supposed to have? The link was a little scary in that it has "vc40" and "win98" in the path...

If DAO is keeping the program from working on some systems, maybe you guys could put out a version that does not have the database features, and thus no DAO dependency.

Just found this:

"Data Access Objects (DAO): DAO provides access to JET (Access) databases. This API can be used from Microsoft Visual Basic, Microsoft Visual C++, and scripting languages. It was included with Microsoft Office 2000 and Office XP. DAO 3.6 is the final version of this technology. It will not be available on the 64-bit Windows operating system."

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms810810.aspx

Seems DAO has been obsolete since 2002.

Edited by matthew180

Yep. DAO is as old as the hills. But you can still access JET databases with ADO. ADO is newer technology than DAO. It's still pretty old, but as far as I know it's still supported, though these days it's in the dot net (ADO.Net) flavour. ADO 2.8 is the last 'classic' version. I don't know if that runs on 64-bit. You might simply find it easier to run a VM using something like Oracles Virtual Box (free for personal use) and run XP in a VM.

Well, this is off topic. But Oracle Virtual Box rules. I use it on my linux server and control all VM's via the PHP Virtualbox web interface.

So basically I have a bare linux installation on the iron and my desktop linux and Windows installs runs in a VM.

You have to love the snapshot features.

Enough said, back to TI-99/4A mode :-D

Michael Zapf's TI Image Tool will create, read, import and export into PC99 and V9T9 format. The only issue is that it incorrectly creates the SSSD version of a PC99 disk. No database features, but it has other features and it's a quick easy way to move files from disk format to disk format.

Ernie

If DAO is keeping the program from working on some systems, maybe you guys could put out a version that does not have the database features, and thus no DAO dependency.

That's a great idea. I'll pass that on to Thierry about that and also talk to him about upgrading the database component.

• 1 month later...

Thierry put out a no-DB version of VDM and it runs in Win7 64-bit! I was trying the boot strap procedure where you upload the initial files to the console via a serial or parallel transfer using XB or BASIC with E/A. I really want to see this work, it only for the "cool" factor.

In BASIC with E/A:

CALL INIT

CALL LOAD("RS232.BA=9600.DA=8.EC")

Then you use VDM to upload the hook program. As soon as I start the "upload hook", the CALL LOAD terminates immediately with:

I/O Error 26

Same with XB. I looked up the error in the RS232 manual and 26 is "Some type of hardware error occurred." Heh, real helpful... Does anyone have any ideas? I know the cable is good because I use it with MagicFM just fine. Yes I realize I could just transfer the hook with MagicFM, but I really want to see this boot strap process work with only the XB or E/A cart.

Thierry put out a no-DB version of VDM and it runs in Win7 64-bit! I was trying the boot strap procedure where you upload the initial files to the console via a serial or parallel transfer using XB or BASIC with E/A. I really want to see this work, it only for the "cool" factor.

In BASIC with E/A:

CALL INIT

CALL LOAD("RS232.BA=9600.DA=8.EC")

Then you use VDM to upload the hook program. As soon as I start the "upload hook", the CALL LOAD terminates immediately with:

I/O Error 26

Same with XB. I looked up the error in the RS232 manual and 26 is "Some type of hardware error occurred." Heh, real helpful... Does anyone have any ideas? I know the cable is good because I use it with MagicFM just fine. Yes I realize I could just transfer the hook with MagicFM, but I really want to see this boot strap process work with only the XB or E/A cart.

Have you tried forcing the parity to match the PC side?