IGNORED

files format

rocky007

• 2 years later...

Thierry put out a no-DB version of VDM and it runs in Win7 64-bit! I was trying the boot strap procedure where you upload the initial files to the console via a serial or parallel transfer using XB or BASIC with E/A. I really want to see this work, it only for the "cool" factor.

In BASIC with E/A:

CALL INIT

CALL LOAD("RS232.BA=9600.DA=8.EC")

Then you use VDM to upload the hook program. As soon as I start the "upload hook", the CALL LOAD terminates immediately with:

I/O Error 26

Same with XB. I looked up the error in the RS232 manual and 26 is "Some type of hardware error occurred." Heh, real helpful... Does anyone have any ideas? I know the cable is good because I use it with MagicFM just fine. Yes I realize I could just transfer the hook with MagicFM, but I really want to see this boot strap process work with only the XB or E/A cart.

Did you ever resolve this? I am having the exact same problem, and it makes me very, very sad.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Thierry put out a no-DB version of VDM and it runs in Win7 64-bit! I was trying the boot strap procedure where you upload the initial files to the console via a serial or parallel transfer using XB or BASIC with E/A. I really want to see this work, it only for the "cool" factor.

In BASIC with E/A:

CALL INIT

CALL LOAD("RS232.BA=9600.DA=8.EC")

Then you use VDM to upload the hook program. As soon as I start the "upload hook", the CALL LOAD terminates immediately with:

I/O Error 26

Same with XB. I looked up the error in the RS232 manual and 26 is "Some type of hardware error occurred." Heh, real helpful... Does anyone have any ideas? I know the cable is good because I use it with MagicFM just fine. Yes I realize I could just transfer the hook with MagicFM, but I really want to see this boot strap process work with only the XB or E/A cart.

I got mine to kind-of work by using Windows XP x64. With the exact same USB-to-serial adapter it absolutely refuses to work in Windows 7. I have a Windows 7 machine with a real serial port but I have not tried that yet -- I suspect the problem is the OS.

By "kind-of" work I got the hook to upload, and I got it to scan devices. I think, however, my Myarc 512k is throwing a wrench in the works. I get DSKx DSRs at >1000, >1100, and >1900. Not a single one will work. Trying to access DSK1 in any of the CRU spaces causes something to break and I start getting transmission failures, communication failures, blah blah blah.

I am about ready to give up on VDM. It is a great idea for non-HDX systems, but I cannot make it run properly so far. My last shot is to swap out the Myarc 512k card with the standard TI 32k card and see if that makes a difference.

After removing the Myarc 512k card and replacing it with the stock TI 32k, the phantom DSK DSRs at >1000 and >1900 went away and I can now access disk information. I cannot, however, copy files to and from, I get this error.

post-27864-0-48206000-1429478256_thumb.png

As well, the communication channel seems to go completely out of kilter. Every operation now returns the same error as above, and refreshing the TI-99/4A gives "Error #13.2".

I feel like I am closer but just have not yet figured out all of the pieces.

One thing I did figure out is VDM does not seem to like anything above COM4. You know how plug-and-play is, I have COM ports up to 40 between the various real, USB, network, and Bluetooth serial devices. Fortunately you can shift them around as needed so this particular USB occupies COM3.

I got it. I had to enable pauses. I assumed the COM settings were functioning as expected because the hook upload worked. But:

http://www.unige.ch/medecine/nouspikel/ti99/vdm99.htm

To ensure proper communications you should either enable pausing, or select a handshaking line. Otherwise, transmission overflow may occur at speeds higher then 1200 bauds, as the PC is sending bytes faster than the TI-99/4A can process them. Note that the "Upload hook" command overrides some of these settings: it enables pausing and temporarily disables handshake by DCD and CTS. This is necessary because the ROM routines in the RS232 card do nor perform handshaking upon reception.
  • Like 1

FYI, it takes a very long time to copy the VDM disk at 9600 bps. I started it when I made my last post, and it is still going.

For my next magic trick I will get this working with the UDS-10. But that will be later in the week. Suffice for now that I got it working.

I suspect that I will be able to put the Myarc 512k back in place having gotten this working now, and that VDM recognizes the difference between DSK1 at >1000, >1100, and >1900.

Yeah, no. With the Myarc 512k card installed, the whole thing craps out. It cannot pull disk information from DSK1 @>1100. The Myarc 512k card has DSKx emulation, which may or may not be disabled. It will suck to have to keep switching out memory cards to use VDM.

• 6 months later...

I've been also trying to get the file transfer working. After a lot of random changes I finally got the hook file uploaded by reducing the baud rate to 300 (everything else kept giving I/O error 26).

So the hook is up and running on the TI but I can't use it in VDM99. Every attempt to scan gives an error (a COM error box, then error #13.2). I've tried pretty much every combination of COM settings but haven't gotten anything to work. Is the problem that the hook is hard-wired to 9600 and that's too fast for my setup? (I ask since 300 was the highest speed at which I could get the hook to transfer successfully.) I've also tried enabling pausing as mentioned earlier in this thread ... to no avail. I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. I'm using an actual serial port on my PC. And running the 'no-DB' version of VDM99. Since the hook uploaded successfully it seems like the rest should be do-able, I just don't know how.

Not a huge deal, but I thought it would be cool to get my remaining 5-1/4" TI disks transferred to my PC for archival purposes.

Have you looked up Web99? 9600 baud and stable... If you are transferring BASIC or XB listings, it is an excellent option.

Hmm, hadn't heard of that. Unfortunately it doesn't work for me. Not sure if the speed is also a factor there but when I try to load the bootstrap on my TI with "OLD RS232.BA=9600" it just sits there with a "255" at the top of the screen.

For single file transfer you could use TIImageTool on the PC, and TELCO on the TI side. Then you can use the XModem transfer feature. For TIImageTool you need a JRE and RXTX library.

I did not plan for a complete disk backup, however.

Another way would be to mount the floppy drive directly into your PC (unless you're using a laptop) and to read the TI floppy disks in the PC. I once did exactly that for copying my disks to the PC; using a self-written tool that runs under Linux. If you don't have a Linux installation you could temporarily boot a Live Linux to run the tool.

Thanks for all the tips. Unfortunately I'm only doing the TI to PC direct connection because all the PCs in my house cannot read single density disks, so I can't transfer that way. I tried, believe me, but all my research has verified that none of my motherboards handle the single density format of my 5-1/4" disks. I even copied to a 3.5" disk on the TI but same issue, single density is the blockade.

I'm about out of options at this point, I'll play around with TIIImageTool but I think that requires TI software I don't have.

Fortunately the only programs I really care about were BASIC programs I wrote when I was 10. I transferred them via a wav file converter (they were on cassette) a long time ago.

Edited by UsualNoise

with OmniFlop, you can.

http://www.shlock.co.uk/Utils/OmniFlop/OmniFlop.htm

Just replace the floppydrive-driver and the floppycontroller-driver (installable & reversible with one click, so no panic :) )

And use their small tool to read and write TI-Disks in your drives, to convert from or to V9T9-DSKs.

Worked for me good for a "long" time, then I changed to Lotharek´s HxC Emu-Drive

http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=121

UsualNoise, contact Klaus (author of Web99)

He can help you get the Bootstrap running. The behavior you are describing sounds like the RS232 card is not receiving any input from your serial connection.

Timing may be of the essence.

Edited by Opry99er

I transferred them via a wav file converter (they were on cassette) a long time ago.

So you have WAV files already? In that case you should give MESS a try; maybe the recording is good enough (otherwise you can try to apply some filters by an audio editor). Then you can easily save them to a disk image from within TI BASIC.

Ahh I see... You are wanting to go 'the other way.' (TI->PC)

MFM is an excellent transfer program for the TI. It, of course, requires you have the software on diskette and a suitable Terminal program on your PC.

I did several videos on this subject for my YouTube channel. I do not have a physical copy of MFM to send to you, otherwise I would... My transfer stuff is down right now too until I can get my cabling situation worked out. Perhaps someone here could mail you a copy on disk?

Ahh I see... You are wanting to go 'the other way.' (TI->PC)

MFM is an excellent transfer program for the TI. It, of course, requires you have the software on diskette and a suitable Terminal program on your PC.

I did several videos on this subject for my YouTube channel. I do not have a physical copy of MFM to send to you, otherwise I would... My transfer stuff is down right now too until I can get my cabling situation worked out. Perhaps someone here could mail you a copy on disk?

I have found that for PC terminal programs syncterm offers a great experience and you can use it with XMODEM, Also ZOC is pretty good.

with OmniFlop, you can.

http://www.shlock.co.uk/Utils/OmniFlop/OmniFlop.htm

Just replace the floppydrive-driver and the floppycontroller-driver (installable & reversible with one click, so no panic :) )

And use their small tool to read and write TI-Disks in your drives, to convert from or to V9T9-DSKs.

Worked for me good for a "long" time, then I changed to Lotharek´s HxC Emu-Drive

http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=121

Yeah, I already tried this. From the documentation I could find it all works OK *if* your motherboard can physically handle the reading and writing of single density disks. Mine can't, and I don't think any driver can make that happen. I replaced the drivers as you described and got everything working, but when trying to read TI files off the drive it was corrupted, inserting fake/dummy files and being unable to read the ones that actually kept the correct name. Also, when I ran the 'test' utility it confirmed my motherboard does not work with single density.

If you or others think this is still something that can be worked around I'd love to hear details.

I'm basing my comments on the manual.txt file found with TI99-PC which explicitly states how certain motherboards are incompatible and includes the testing procedure I mentioned. Specifically:

The stock TI Disk Controller handles only Single Density. If you
have one of those Controllers on your TI, your PC must be able to
handle Single Density too for a successful floppy disk transfer
between TI and PC.
If your PC doesn't pass this test, then this software is not for
you.
I tried using the Omniflop drivers on a Windows 2000 PC and a Windows XP PC and neither one worked or passed the aforementioned test.
  • Like 1