IGNORED

A thread on Baldies

Cobra Kai

The enemy will use the Fire weapon against you alot. If you don't know it's the technology that has a pointing finger and like a little bomb icon. To get this tech yourself, you must build a level 3 breeding house I think. That is the Red line of house building. Once you get to the large house, the Fire tech becomes available. I always tech Fire all the way to level 3, because then you start with level 1 Fire on the next stage. So as long as you keep maxing out Fire every stage, you'll always have it available at the beginning of each level, then you don't need to worry about building a level 3 breeding house.

All I can advise is that when you plant your flags, try to place it farthest away from ground objects. Try putting 10 builders in there, it will pop to level 3 eventually, then you'll get to choose between a Castle or larger Breeding house. The largest house (Castle) usually needs like 15-20 builders in it, with a minimum of 14 builders just to keep it maintained.

• 3 years later...

Baldies is actually almost identical to the Amiga classic "Mega Lo Mania," with a few gameplay and graphic improvements. Mega Lo Mania was somewhat popular and received ports on several other consoles too. Kind of a beginners RTS without too much complexity, but there's so much going on and enough to do that it should interest most fans of the genre.

I agree, one of the biggest problems with the game is the length of time it takes to complete a level. Once you prepare for 40 minutes the battle will only last 5-10 minutes http://www.atariage.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/icon_razz.gif

One important tool you did not mention is the "flight" tool that allows you to select all your baldies and fly them accross oceans to enemy territory. That dramatically speeds up the game. There is also a tool that allows you to dig pits or build bridges accross water. You can also hijack enemy buildings and infiltrate their territory that way. Lots of cool stuff to do.

I'm a bit surprised baldies doesn't get too much mention either, pretty good game imo and easily within the top 15-20 on the Jaguar.

Within top 15 to 20 on Jaguar CD, at least ahahahahaha 'D

I played like 8 levels and then thought it too repetitive, AND since the things you needed to repeat are just too weird (things I needed to read about on internet) I passed it to the bottom of the game pile, maybe never more to be played...

It is crappy, and I gave it some descent time before saying that.

Edited by Atlantis

I played like 8 levels and then thought it too repetitive, AND since the things you needed to repeat are just too weird (things I needed to read about on internet) I passed it to the bottom of the game pile, maybe never more to be played...

It is crappy, and I gave it some descent time before saying that.

I guess it's like any RTS, you tend to rinse and repeat a strategy... I enjoy it but I will agree that it seems a bit repetitive... And doesn't often explain things in the manual... I wondered why none of my soldiers were producing ammo, only to find out they had to be in a barracks -_- but I do still enjoy it 'D

I guess it's like any RTS, you tend to rinse and repeat a strategy... I enjoy it but I will agree that it seems a bit repetitive... And doesn't often explain things in the manual... I wondered why none of my soldiers were producing ammo, only to find out they had to be in a barracks -_- but I do still enjoy it 'D

I love GOOD RTS, especially smal scale ones, and the best is........ Fantasy kingdom simulator, the original version!!!! Get it, compare it to Baldies, or Starcraft or what have you. =) Balides could have been a good small scale RTS, but it's not!

Edited by Atlantis

OK, what is a necrobump? I have literally never used forums before, so I have no idea what people are on about... Obviously I don't want to make people mad, really...

Necro as in dead thread, bump i guess as in "yeah I agree"...

First forum, and you enter a tough one! Brave man! Only 3DO forum seems tougher, since it all is one (tyrant) man in charge there, not even I would dare to enter THAT forum, but here, sharpen your elbows, and rock n' roll.

Necro as in dead thread, bump i guess as in "yeah I agree"...

First forum, and you enter a tough one! Brave man! Only 3DO forum seems tougher, since it all is one (tyrant) man in charge there, not even I would dare to enter THAT forum, but here, sharpen your elbows, and rock n' roll.

Brave woman :P Yeah I did notice that, like I don't know the done and not done thing in forums, I just got a Jaguar 2 years ago, got the CD add on recently, and love it and want to talk about it with people... That's about it really :)

Brave woman :P Yeah I did notice that, like I don't know the done and not done thing in forums, I just got a Jaguar 2 years ago, got the CD add on recently, and love it and want to talk about it with people... That's about it really :)

Now you've confirmed your sexuality, here on the forum, you will no longer (ever) be able to tell the difference between those genuinely engaging you in chat, here on the forum, and those who are chatting to you SPECIFICALLY because you are a woman. If you get me? ;)

Anyway, FWIW, a "Necrobump" is when someone replies to a really OLD thread that has been dead and buried for a rather extended period. This is heightened further when the "bump" is a pointless response to a 4 year old post (like yours, just being honest). Chances are, opinions/feelings etc, per member, have changed since half a decade ago.

The only time "Necrobumps" are seen as acceptable are when a member comes forward and properly resurrects the thread with a fresh, lengthy/detailed post, almost rebooting the thread. 'TravisTouchdown' has managed this successfully a few times as of late (i.e. something along the lines of "Late to the party, but just got this game now and wanted to give my opinion/views on it...).

Necrobumps are annoying if nothing of any value, whatsoever, has been 'added' to the thread, bringing it from the dead needlessly. Usually, a fresh, new thread concerning the subject matter and what you wish to discuss is near-always the best course of action.

Hope that all makes a modicum of sense among the rambling...

• Like 2

I don't mind necrobumps, I do it too before making a new thread, but yeah there should be a good reason to do so, like needing specific answers related to the gaming thread topic to be able to continue Jag game playing or continuing the subject matter discussed years earlier with new information discovered and not talked about that will help a player succeed at the game, taking into consideration previous old posts there needed to understand the new question with proper info readilly available(old posts) and in context. But not to joke, rate games, increase post counts or other useless chatter that does not further the thread.

I've never known or heard of a man being named Lianne guys (maybe there are men with the name, I pity them if there are)...I knew she was a woman from the start. I could care less of anyone's sex or sexual orientation on forums (well, gaming forums anyway, but then I don't frequent dating sites or those types of forums anyway). I just like to talk about the Jag too. It is a novelty *somewhat* to have conversations with women about gaming, but that is becoming less and less so. She's not the first female here at AA. But I really don't see why anyone would want to converse with her JUST because she is a female, it's just text, not sex, and besides, most of us could be her father or grandfather( though I would have had to have had a child in my teens and then that child have Lianne in their teens for me to be her grandfather), not to mention she's nearly on the opposite side of the world from most of us ( you did mention you were in the U.K., right Lianne? Of course the guy warning her is NeoGeoNinja who just happens to be in the U.K.). put your pants back on guys, it's just letters and symbols here. :-o

Back on topic though, I am glad this thread was bumped because I did miss it the first time around, and Baldies is a game I own, and never got far in it because I had trouble figuring it out, and since it was bumped by LianneJaguar64, I have been able to read it, have found out I wasn't alone in my frustration for the game and am now revisiting the game with all the tips I found in this thread! Thanks LianneJaguar64!

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

I've never known or heard of a man being named Lianne guys (maybe there are men with the name, I pity them if there are)...I knew she was a woman from the start. I could care less of anyone's sex or sexual orientation on forums (well, gaming forums anyway, but then I don't frequent dating sites or those types of forums anyway). I just like to talk about the Jag too. It is a novelty *somewhat* to have conversations with women about gaming, but that is becoming less and less so. She's not the first female here at AA. But I really don't see why anyone would want to converse with her JUST because she is a female, it's just text, not sex, and besides, most of us could be her father or grandfather( though I would have had to have had a child in my teens and then that child have Lianne in their teens for me to be her grandfather), not to mention she's nearly on the opposite side of the world from most of us ( you did mention you were in the U.K., right Lianne? Of course the guy warning her is NeoGeoNinja who just happens to be in the U.K.). put your pants back on guys, it's just letters and symbols here. :-o

Back on topic though, I am glad this thread was bumped because I did miss it the first time around, and Baldies is a game I own, and never got far in it because I had trouble figuring it out, and since it was bumped by LianneJaguar64, I have been able to read it, have found out I wasn't alone in my frustration for the game and am now revisiting the game with all the tips I found in this thread! Thanks LianneJaguar64!

Ahaha well no worries, I only got it two weeks ago when I got the Jaguar CD, and I didn't know about necrobumping so a lot of people got mad, but it's all cool :) I'm here to talk Jag too, so thanks ahahaha :P It's nice because it's different, and has a lot of different facets to the game, and the levels are pretty nice too :)

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

I got my copy in the bargain bin back in the nineties and have never been able to get the game to start up. It gets to the loading screen and freezes. Anybody else have that problem?

Copy that floppy... err copy that CD. Odds are the copy will boot :P

• Like 2