IGNORED

Cassettes that play sound while they load.

FULS

Hi,

Is there a list somewhere or from your memory, what cassettes played a voice or song while loading the program?

I was playing around with the cassette option on the Altirra emulator and got "European Countries and Capitals" to load while playing a voice- over and music.

It would be nice if the tapes from the "Educational System Master Cartridge" were converted to WAV files.

If this subject has been discussed before please forgive me.

These are "rar" files, but to upload I had to add "zip" on the end. Just take off the ".zip" and extract the "wav" file.

It takes 4 min. and 15 sec's to load so be patient.

European Countries and Capitals (CLOAD then RUN).part01.rar.zip

European Countries and Capitals (CLOAD then RUN).part02.rar.zip

European Countries and Capitals (CLOAD then RUN).part03.rar.zip

Let me know if you get it to work and what your thoughts are.

Thanks,

Doug

Hi,

Is there a list somewhere or from your memory, what cassettes played a voice or song while loading the program?

that's what i want to for my Youtube channel ! :)

Of my knowledge, there is all the "

" and all the "Conversational French, German, Spanish and Italian" use this feature...

Also, this softwares:

There are others certainly...

These are "rar" files, but to upload I had to add "zip" on the end. Just take off the ".zip" and extract the "wav" file.

For crying out loud, Doug, why do you use RAR for this? ZIP is built in into windows, while RAR needs 3rd party software. Compression ratio's are almost the same, so I just find it bad practice to distribute RAR files. You cant expect everyone to buy WinRAR. And yeah, I know, you can use it for a period of time with nagscreens and nonsense.

• Like 2

For crying out loud, Doug, why do you use RAR for this? ZIP is built in into windows, while RAR needs 3rd party software. Compression ratio's are almost the same, so I just find it bad practice to distribute RAR files. You cant expect everyone to buy WinRAR. And yeah, I know, you can use it for a period of time with nagscreens and nonsense.

I much prefer RAR - could be because of my newsgroup days though.

P.S.

Compression ratio is much better on RAR than ZIP for most everything I have tried.

I've found the free 7zip to work quite well when having to deal with RAR files.

• Like 1

WOW! I didn'know Altirra can do that! Even with fast forward (F1) Now one of my (very) long term projects can finally begin...

BTW: 22 MB download for an Atari tape of 4 minutes is simply hilarious :)

Most of the PDI titles, a number of the early Atari tapes, some Synapse Software games... The Dorsett series relied on the use of the audio track.

You can add releases by Europa Computer Club which, IIRC, had commercial songs on the cassettes.

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

hmm,

the 4-5 Europa tapes I have here do not have any commercial songs - all you hear are some instrumental sounds (and all tapes do have the same sounds on them)... if interested I could record them on CD and then convert them to WAV or MP3 (but you would also hear the loading noise of the program).

Sammy the sea serpent and European Capitals are also in my collection (and I could also record the sound of both and the narration of Sammy)...

-Andreas Koch.

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Most of the PDI titles, a number of the early Atari tapes, some Synapse Software games... The Dorsett series relied on the use of the audio track.

You can add releases by Europa Computer Club which, IIRC, had commercial songs on the cassettes.

--

Atari Frog

hmm,

the 4-5 Europa tapes I have here do not have any commercial songs - all you hear are some instrumental sounds (and all tapes do have the same sounds on them)... if interested I could record them on CD and then convert them to WAV or MP3 (but you would also hear the loading noise of the program).

Sammy the sea serpent and European Capitals are also in my collection (and I could also record the sound of both and the narration of Sammy)...

-Andreas Koch.

Use a stereo tape deck with a balance control, and rotate all the way left or right, you should have either the music or the SIO sounds. That way you should be able to record just the music track.

I tried ZIP, best I could do was 12mb file. RAR got me to 6mb.

WOW! I didn'know Altirra can do that! Even with fast forward (F1) Now one of my (very) long term projects can finally begin...

BTW: 22 MB download for an Atari tape of 4 minutes is simply hilarious :)

Thanks for the (F1) tip. Altirra is simply amazing.

In case anybody is having trouble loading the file into Altirra, here is the process I use to load the "WAV" file into Altirra.

post-10849-0-93398800-1313020993_thumb.jpg

Then I do a Cold Start

post-10849-0-51306800-1313021328_thumb.jpg

Then I type "CLOAD" then press RETURN. A number at the bottom left screen should appear.

post-10849-0-17392600-1313022413_thumb.jpg

Make sure you download ALL 3 zip files to be able to extract the WAV file.

Edited by FULS

The Sears cassettes I have just have audio descriptions of the games as they load, no music. I have Kingdom, it's actually halfway cool music. ;)

One of these days I'll get around to making preservation attempts on the...what am I up to now...12 sets of tapes for the Education system.

I have a bunch of educational tapes somewhere in a box. One on chemistry, one on electronics, etc. They have an instructor who gives a lecture while data from the cassette is used to draw diagrams, then the tape is paused while questions are displayed and the Atari waits for the user to answer the multiple choice question. It was really cool.

You can just use a generic WAV editor to combine a mono music track with a mono tape WAV.

New game on tape, I don't see the point.

We can have 2 voice music with disk loads. And most people have one or more "turbo" loading systems like SIO2PC/SD or IDE devices.

The days of having to entertain a user while something loads are well and truly over.

I have a bunch of educational tapes somewhere in a box. One on chemistry, one on electronics, etc. They have an instructor who gives a lecture while data from the cassette is used to draw diagrams, then the tape is paused while questions are displayed and the Atari waits for the user to answer the multiple choice question. It was really cool.

That's part of the Talk and Teach system. I just noticed I missed a batch of 16 of them on eBay. Dang it. And they were all tapes I didn't have. If anyone wants to loan or sell theirs to me, I'll see about getting started with recordings.

That's part of the Talk and Teach system. I just noticed I missed a batch of 16 of them on eBay. Dang it. And they were all tapes I didn't have. If anyone wants to loan or sell theirs to me, I'll see about getting started with recordings.

Knowing how things go, the ones I have are ones you already have. :D

I really need to dig out more of my Atari stuff. I've been getting by with just my 65XE and an SIO2SD. I've got the original cassette version of Necromancer as well. I made a program to make a DOS file from the cassette at one point so I could play it from floppy instead of cassette (it took a LONG time to load!).

For crying out loud, Doug, why do you use RAR for this? ZIP is built in into windows, while RAR needs 3rd party software.

Because despite what you claim, compression ratios suck for .zip :P I only use WinZIP because I bought it back in '99 (and rom files I use it for are nothing very big anyway).

What so bad about installing WinRAR? It stays free to use after it's trial period - it just becomes nagware like WinZip does (did?). Otherwise, you can use something freeware (like 7zip mentioned above).

These days, there is so MUCH stuff you'd miss out on if you can't handle .rar archives one way or another. And not just pr0n ;) I'd guess the majority of abandonware, etc...exists as .rar files.

Knowing how things go, the ones I have are ones you already have. :D

I really need to dig out more of my Atari stuff. I've been getting by with just my 65XE and an SIO2SD. I've got the original cassette version of Necromancer as well. I made a program to make a DOS file from the cassette at one point so I could play it from floppy instead of cassette (it took a LONG time to load!).

Photo of my 5 sets of Atari cassettes

U.S. History, U.S. Government, Basic Psychology, Basic Sociology and Spelling.

And for the Dorsett branded ones, I've got math and some of their reading sets, in blue cases that are more reminiscent of the foreign language series.

Hi,

possible to have a detailed list of these games please ?

Merci ;)

--

Atari Frog