IGNORED

Cassettes that play sound while they load.

FULS

• 4 months later...

Alright,

used my Hifi stereo system and a Y-splitter on the tape deck to record the sounds of some of my A8 tapes to CD. Most tapes had the sound on one channel and the data on the other channel, alas Kingdom had the data on both channels, while sound was only on one channel (so one can hear "nice" beeps while listening to the sound)...

The result is 2x mono and allthough the sounds are quite annoying/awful (at least for me!), I still converted them into MP3 (256 kbit)... you can listen to:

- Europa intro musics (available on all Europa tapes)

- The Lone Raider

- Sammy the sea serpent (no music, just narration!)

- Biorhythm (ouch my ears!)

- Kingdom (what a noise!)

- Speed Run (extremely boring!)

Now after recording these sounds, I wonder why we all did (still do?) remember these sounds so well - they are not great, not even good, they are awful and annoying, hurting my ears... Anyways, here they are.

Biorhythm.mp3

Kingdom.mp3

Speed_Run.mp3

• Like 3

Here`s part 2...

Oh, the "Europa" sound has a little bit more than 10MB (approx. 10.5MB) and "Sammy" has more than 12MB, thus I am not allowed to upload these two (filesize is to big)... sorry folks !

Maybe I should re-record / downsize the MP3`s (with 224 kbit or 192 kbit), so they will fit here..?!?

Lone_Raider.mp3

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

When I was an Atari beginner in the 80s I saw kind of an Atari Demo in a store which had voice on tape.

And IIRC the voice was the then-most famous female german TV newsreader Dagmar Berghoff! Really high class..

I was really stunned, I thought that was digitized sound, didn't yet know about the possibility of audio on the other channel..

I would really like to know what that tape was, never heard about it again..

• 1 year later...

In another topic, someone requested the loading music of Yoomp, so here it is. Recorded both side A and side B with a Y-splitter, but believe it or not, both sides (PAL on side A and NTSC on side B) have the same music and this music is playing with the same speed... ;-)

The MP3 recordings (224kbit) do have the same size, only as FLAC and WAV you notice a little difference (approx. 30kbytes longer/shorter, which is nothing for FLAC or WAV)...

Yoomp_Audio_Music_(Side_A).mp3

Yoomp_Audio_Music_(Side_B).mp3

• Like 3

When I was an Atari beginner in the 80s I saw kind of an Atari Demo in a store which had voice on tape.

And IIRC the voice was the then-most famous female german TV newsreader Dagmar Berghoff! Really high class..

I was really stunned, I thought that was digitized sound, didn't yet know about the possibility of audio on the other channel..

I would really like to know what that tape was, never heard about it again..

This was one of the Europa tapes, either "Die Deutschstunde" (Vol, 1,2 and 3) or "Die Englischstunde" (again, Vol. 1, 2 and 3).

http://mrbacardi.000space.com/games/Europa/Europa.html

• Like 1

For crying out loud, Doug, why do you use RAR for this? ZIP is built in into windows, while RAR needs 3rd party software. Compression ratio's are almost the same, so I just find it bad practice to distribute RAR files. You cant expect everyone to buy WinRAR. And yeah, I know, you can use it for a period of time with nagscreens and nonsense.

7-Zip does both, and it is free.

EDIT: Holy crap, I just noticed the date the post I am quoting was posted.

Edited by scotty
  • Like 2

Okay,

here are the audio loading sounds (MP3 with 224kbit) of "European Countries and Capitals" and the spoken text of "Invitation to Programming (Vol. 1)". More stuff tomorrow and in a few days...

European_Countries_and_Capitals_1.mp3

European_Countries_and_Capitals_2.mp3

Invitation_to_Programming_1_lesson1.mp3

Invitation_to_Programming_1_lesson2.mp3

Invitation_to_Programming_1_lesson3.mp3

Invitation_to_Programming_1_lesson4.mp3

Invitation_to_Programming_1_lesson5.mp3

Invitation_to_Programming_1_lesson6.mp3

• Like 6

Here are the audio parts (MP3's with 224kbit) of "Hangman", "States and Capitals" and "Invitation to Programming 3 - Introduction to Graphics". Hope to record the other tape "Introduction to Sound" soon. (Next on my list are Invitation to Programming 2, Touch Typing, Principles of Accounting and Conversational French.) Think I will borrow Conversational German, Italian and Spanish from a friend, so I can record and upload them as well.

Do not remember if "Scram" had any audio sound (and if I already recorded + uploaded it or not). Afaik, the following Atari titles did not have any audio sounds: Mickey in the great outdoors, Juggle's House, Juggle's Rainbow, Statistics I; Energy Czar might have audio sound, but I do not know for sure, since it is missing in my collection. Alas, Principles of Accounting is the only tape of the Talk & Teach series I have, but afaik all (or most?) of these tapes can be downloaded from the AtariWiki since they have been digitized by Tschak (and maybe others)...

There are some more PDI tapes, besides "Sammy the sea serpent", that do have audio sound (narration / speech) on the left audio channel, but I do not own any of them. No big surprise, since PDI also did various tapes with audio for Atari (e.g. Invitation to Programming)...

Hangman_1.mp3

Hangman_2.mp3

States_and_Capitals_1.mp3

States_and_Capitals_2.mp3

Invitation_to_Programming_3_Gfx_1.mp3

Invitation_to_Programming_3_Gfx_2.mp3

Invitation_to_Programming_3_Gfx_3a.mp3

Invitation_to_Programming_3_Gfx_3b.mp3

Invitation_to_Programming_3_Gfx_4.mp3

Invitation_To_Programming_3_Gfx_5.mp3

Invitation_to_Programming_3_Gfx_6a.mp3

Invitation_to_Programming_3_Gfx_6b.mp3

Invitation_to_Programming_3_Gfx_7.mp3

• Like 4

Okay,

loaded "Touch Typing" and it only contains computer data, no audio data or music (or speech/narration). Since I only have the loose tapes, it took me quite a while to figure out how the programs work. Lazy as I am, I did not download and rtfm, but made several tests, which all failed. But after one or two hours I got all programs loading+working, even from diskette with CasDis. Guess that reading the manual would have revealed the required information much faster (programs and data on tape side 2 are required to load the data files on tape sides 3 and 4)... ;-)

Anyways, attached you will find the audio parts (MP3 with 224kbit) of "Invitation to Programming 3 - Introduction to Sound". Recorded with Y-splitter and therefore 2x mono...

Invitation_to_Programming_3_Snd_1a.mp3

Invitation_to_Programming_3_Snd_1b.mp3

Invitation_to_Programming_3_Snd_2a.mp3

Invitation_to_Programming_3_Snd_2b.mp3

Invitation_to_Programming_3_Snd_3a.mp3

Invitation_to_Programming_3_Snd_3b.mp3

Invitation_to_Programming_3_Snd_4.mp3

Invitation_to_Programming_3_Snd_5a.mp3

Invitation_to_Programming_3_Snd_5b.mp3

Invitation_to_Programming_3_Snd_6a.mp3

Invitation_to_Programming_3_Snd_6b.mp3

Invitation_to_Programming_3_Snd_7a.mp3

Invitation_to_Programming_3_Snd_7b.mp3

• Like 4

This is somehow related to the original question.

Yesterday I was listening the xlxe podcast from some guys in New Zealand. They mentioned that you can play Galaxian with music you want, since this game activates the motor Ctrl signal. So once at home I tried it, and it is true!: You can play Galaxian and listen a mix of the game sounds and your favorite music thru the TV speakers... I never seen mentioned this fact here before.

• Like 3

Are the full wav files for invitation to programming 3 available somewhere? As far as I can understand the attachments above only cover the spoken parts, not the programs themselves.

Well, not WAV, but how about flac ? No, not the german flak, allthough this site is from german Atarians:

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=An%20Invitation%20to%20Programming%203%20CX4117

Parts 1 and 2 can also be found there, as well as many other Atari things, e.g. some CX programs:

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Search.jsp?query=CX&searchSubmit=Los%21

Should be no problem to convert flac back into wav...

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Not only Germans are working on Atariwiki ;)

The UK version of Invitation to programming can also be found there (as FLAC): https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=An%20Invitation%20To%20Programming

The Dutch version can also be found on Atariwiki: https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Programmeren...%20Hoe%20Doe%20Je%20Dat%20%28Deel%201%29(parts 2 and 3 are available too).

Atarinside offers the French and Italian version (as WAV files)

https://atarinside.dyndns.org/blog/index.php/atarinside-items/initiation-a-la-programmation-en-basic-cours-n1/

https://atarinside.dyndns.org/blog/index.php/atarinside-items/invito-a-programmare-1/

And ofcourse you can watch most of them on youtube too: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=invitation+to+programming+atari

Edited by Fred_M

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I was listening the xlxe podcast from some guys in New Zealand. They mentioned that you can play Galaxian with music you want, since this game activates the motor Ctrl signal. So once at home I tried it, and it is true!: You can play Galaxian and listen a mix of the game sounds and your favorite music thru the TV speakers... I never seen mentioned this fact here before.

Yep that's us ... find our podcast at https://xlxepodcast.gurubob.nz/or via Spotify, iTunes, Google, whatever floats your boat :)

-B.

Hmmm, afaik one can use POKE 54018,60 in most Basic languages or an equivalent Assembler/MC command. Think one of the ML coders could easily create a very short ML-file that does this and then we could add it to any of our A8 XEX files (with copy+append) and suddenly almost every A8 file can playback audio music/sound from the data recorder... but only in mono, I guess.

Here is "Invitation to Programming 2 - Writing Programs 1" recorded as pure audio (MP3 with 224kbit). Maybe I can do the second tape tonight or tomorrow. The CAS files are already available at Atariwiki...

InvPgm2_WritPgm1_lesson1.mp3

InvPgm2_WritPgm1_lesson2.mp3

InvPgm2_WritPgm1_lesson3.mp3

InvPgm2_WritPgm1_lesson4a.mp3

InvPgm2_writPgm1_lesson4b.mp3

InvPgm2_WritPgm1_lesson5a.mp3

InvPgm2_WritPgm1_lesson5b.mp3

InvPgm2_writPgm1_lesson6.mp3

InvPgm2_WritPgm1_lesson7a.mp3

InvPgm2_WritPgm1_lesson7b.mp3

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Today I transfered the tapedata of "Wordrace" by Don't Ask Computer Software to diskette and noticed it also has sound on the left audio channel. Since the tape has two sides (side A beginner, side B intermediate), I recorded the music of both sides only to find out, it is the same (but quality somewhat differs, so I kept both)...

So attached you will find the music that is being played while Wordrace loads...

Wordrace_audio.zip

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1