IGNORED

THE RANDOM TERRAIN GRAMMAR THREAD

Jr. Pac

36 members have voted

1. 1. What games should I bring on vacation?

2. 2. PART 2

• E.T.
    • River Raid
    • Barnstorming
    • Enduro
    • Pitfall!
    • Q*bert
    • Frogger
    • Donkey Kong
    • Mouse Trap
    • Space Jockey
    • Target Fun (Air-Sea battle)
    • Video Pinball (Sears)
    • Space Invaders (Sears)
    • Jungle Hunt prototype
    • Video Olympics

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

:roll: I;ve only played Atari TWICE in the time I've been here. Once to test. I just went on the Tahoe Queen and I've been going on lots of hikes. You can't just assume I'm bringing it to just play Atari my whole vacation. I'm trying to get my parents to play, and we make arrangements, but we end up not doing it. :skull:

Or how about this...you're on vacation. Why not take a break from games and enjoy your vacation???

That's because he/she/it is not a kid and is not on vacation.

I'm teliin' ya he's back

"VideoFever I was he...

backin89 I came to be..."

Oh . . . my . . . God! It all makes sense now! Could Jr. Pac be the daughter the bicycle was for?

I know that a lot of 10 year old boys sound like girls, but the voice in the video I posted sounded way too much like a girl, and on top of that, "this is Flexy Lady" rolled off the tongue without a fraction of a second of hesitation. If they would have had YouTube when I was a 10 year old boy, I would have made it very darn clear that I was using my mother's account and I was not a flexible lady.

:D

• Like 1

Holy crap this thread has me angry.

1. We do NOT want to discourage kids from loving the VCS, if kids don't love it then it will die with the rest of us old farts.

2. I'm sure he and his family aren't gonna sit around all day & night playing Space Invaders and Video Olympics. It's just something to pass time when it's like an hour left till bedtime or it's raining or the mosquitos have just come out to feed.

3. Grammar? hello... Nobody uses proper grammar anymore ESPECIALLY in a messaging system, If I make a few typoes here and there on AA I don't mind, when its my resume or a business letter I'm conducting, fine, then I'll make sure everything is properly formatted. If not for death we'd have some 400 year olds on here complaining that Thee and Thy aren't being used enough and when we do we aren't using them properly.... it doesn't MATTER!!!

Edited by Torr
  • Like 5

. . . it doesn't MATTER!!!

The main reason the language changes for the worse is people like you. It's our informal communication that changes the language, not your F-ing resume. It does matter.

I'm all for using can instead of may, and using who and killing off whom, but we should never allow things like "I would of eaten the pie" to enter the dictionary.

If the "it doesn't MATTER!!!" people would shut the fluck up, our informal ramblings could be informative too. We don't want know-it-all Melvins waving a finger at every little mistake, but if we all take some responsibility and share what we know when it looks like another is clueless about a word, phrase, or idiom, we can help guide and protect what's left of our language instead of letting it get torn to shreds like a flagpole rag.

• Like 3

I referenced Thee and Thy to show that language is ever evolving, like everything in this universe, especially the English language since it's just a hodgepodge of every other language on this earth.

We humans learned to speak and created languages so we could communicate our ideas to each other. If someone types 'would of' instead of 'would've' sure it's grammatically incorrect, but the message is still being effectively communicated. You understood what they were trying to express to you.

We say 'What's Up?' when we meet a friend and they understand what we mean, even though we are grammatically asking them 'whats above us?' hence smart comebacks such as 'I dunno, the sky, airplanes...' Should we stop saying that too?

*Edit* or would you prefer I said AEROplanes... sorry, just being snarky now

Edited by Torr

If someone types 'would of' instead of 'would've' sure it's grammatically incorrect, but the message is still being effectively communicated. You understood what they were trying to express to you.

If the person doesn't know something like would of is incorrect, it doesn't help him or her improve if you stay silent. Barely getting your message across with mangled words and phrases is like serving flavorless, weak soup to your customers.

We say 'What's Up?' when we meet a friend and they understand what we mean, even though we are grammatically asking them 'whats above us?' hence smart comebacks such as 'I dunno, the sky, airplanes...' Should we stop saying that too?

What's up is a packaged greeting like how do you do, which makes about as much sense, but these things can be easily accepted. They are clearly different from things such as biting his time, chicken pops, mute point, state of the ark, take it for granite, and noone.

Schizophretard: He's talking about the "would of" you used in your post.

... as evidenced by the fact that I boldfaced it in the quote, which I thought would have made it obvious.

(Actually, my earlier "quip" was directed as much at the overly aggressive "grammar police" as anyone else, although I'm a stickler for proper grammar, too.)

All the sudden were talked about grammar?

:skull:

It didn't make it obvious to me. I'm on Atari Age not Spell Check Grammar Age. If I would've said kinda or wanna and you would've made them bold I wouldn't know you were hinting that it should be kind of or want to. If I would've said something like,"I went to the store and didn't buy nothing." and you said,"So you bought something?" I would get the hint but would of and would've sound identical. Correcting my quote instead of making it bold I would've understood but checking my spelling and grammar isn't something I'm looking for when my Ambien and Klonopin is kicking in.

. . . it doesn't MATTER!!!

The main reason the language changes for the worse is people like you. It's our informal communication that changes the language, not your F-ing resume. It does matter.

I'm all for using can instead of may, and using who and killing off whom, but we should never allow things like "I would of eaten the pie" to enter the dictionary.

If the "it doesn't MATTER!!!" people would shut the fluck up, our informal ramblings could be informative too. We don't want know-it-all Melvins waving a finger at every little mistake, but if we all take some responsibility and share what we know when it looks like another is clueless about a word, phrase, or idiom, we can help guide and protect what's left of our language instead of letting it get torn to shreds like a flagpole rag.

English is a Germanic language. People migrated to England from Germany and their German language evolved into English. English people migrated to America and their English language evolved into American English. So our entire language is speaking German improperly. If speaking a language properly is important and the evolution of language was caused by speaking languages improperly then it is important that we learn the original grunts, grawls, clicks and farts. We are all speaking the original language flucking improperly.

Or how about this...you're on vacation. Why not take a break from games and enjoy your vacation???

That's because he/she/it is not a kid and is not on vacation.

I'm teliin' ya he's back

"VideoFever I was he...

backin89 I came to be..."

Oh . . . my . . . God! It all makes sense now! Could Jr. Pac be the daughter the bicycle was for?

I know that a lot of 10 year old boys sound like girls, but the voice in the video I posted sounded way too much like a girl, and on top of that, "this is Flexy Lady" rolled off the tongue without a fraction of a second of hesitation. If they would have had YouTube when I was a 10 year old boy, I would have made it very darn clear that I was using my mother's account and I was not a flexible lady.

:D

Jr. Pac is innocent. I'm Backin89, Pacfan, the girl, and I sleep on my bike in the fecal position like a flexible lady. :D

We are all speaking the original language flucking improperly.

We're not talking about original languages. We're talking about the main language used at AtariAge right now and that generally seems to be the version of English used in the United States (with large chunks of it shared with other countries).

Once I become President of the world, every person in every country will have to speak U.S. English if they want their share of Soylent Green.

• Like 2

We are all speaking the original language flucking improperly.

We're not talking about original languages. We're talking about the main language used at AtariAge right now and that generally seems to be the version of English used in the United States (with large chunks of it shared with other countries).

Once I become President of the world, every person in every country will have to speak U.S. English if they want their share of Soylent Green.

Soylent Green is Spanglish speaking people!!!!!!! :woozy:

I actually use Thee and Thy sometimes... :P Now, does anyone know how to spell the word that starts with Sup that Mary Poppins sings in a song? (I do!)

We should get back on topic or rename this thread THE RANDOM TERRAIN GRAMMAR THREAD.

Edited by Jr. Pac
  • Like 1