IGNORED

THE RANDOM TERRAIN GRAMMAR THREAD

Jr. Pac

36 members have voted

1. 1. What games should I bring on vacation?

2. 2. PART 2

• E.T.
    • River Raid
    • Barnstorming
    • Enduro
    • Pitfall!
    • Q*bert
    • Frogger
    • Donkey Kong
    • Mouse Trap
    • Space Jockey
    • Target Fun (Air-Sea battle)
    • Video Pinball (Sears)
    • Space Invaders (Sears)
    • Jungle Hunt prototype
    • Video Olympics

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

This kid is being a nuisance, but we're taking it way too far. I don't want this to become another DigitalPress vs. AtariAge.

Jr. Pac, I suggest you think twice before you post anything next time, and the rest of us should quit acting like we're 8 years old.

Edited by Animan
  • Like 2

English is a Germanic language. People migrated to England from Germany and their German language evolved into English. English people migrated to America and their English language evolved into American English. So our entire language is speaking German improperly. If speaking a language properly is important and the evolution of language was caused by speaking languages improperly then it is important that we learn the original grunts, grawls, clicks and farts. We are all speaking the original language flucking improperly.

News Flash: Ancient Proto-Germanic and Modern English are different!

Now let's speak Modern English, alright?

They are different because languages evolve.

If the "it doesn't MATTER!!!" people would shut the fluck up, our informal ramblings could be informative too. We don't want know-it-all Melvins waving a finger at every little mistake, but if we all take some responsibility and share what we know when it looks like another is clueless about a word, phrase, or idiom, we can help guide and protect what's left of our language instead of letting it get torn to shreds like a flagpole rag.

I agree completely. Communication presents a major problem in this divisive, shrunken-world era, during which many-to-many communication is rampant for the first time in history; language is one of the very few things that we all have in common, so it represents a valuable touchstone, regarding tolerance (the importance of which seems to grow daily) and understanding each other. What's rather hilarious is that when forums, text-messaging and the writing of web logs began to grow in popularity, I nurtured the terribly naive and optimistic hope that many young people would learn how to write well, in order to communicate themselves as well as possible in "cyberspace." Silly me; abbreviations and lazy English have proliferated more than ever.

You guys think RT's picky? Shit; I can't help but to read most of the posts here with marks all over them in imaginary red ink. It's not even a know-it-all approach; it's involuntary. I'm not quite sure when this initially happened to me. Maybe I'm a Hulk equivalent; I was angered by some word, rather than a person. Anyway, when I try, I can ignore the impulse -- but I certainly have to do so deliberately. Let's pick an AA member who seems to have been a good sport in other threads (on separate topics, granted):

So our entire language is speaking German improperly. ["Involves" would be a much better choice than "is." Notice the word types; a language "is" not a verb (speaking).] If speaking a language properly is important [A comma would be extremely useful here, in order to clearly delineate the two separate thoughts for the reader.] and the evolution of language was caused by speaking languages [by this point, "language/languages" has become a redundant inclusion; bear in mind that the points you're trying to make become further diminished with every unnecessary repetition.] improperly [comma] then it is important that we learn the original grunts, grawls, clicks and farts. We are all speaking the original language [when we're] flucking improperly.

And that's one of the well written ones (grammatically, anyway)!

Answer to original post: Bring the games in which funny things can occur. I'd go with Entombed, Combat and Warlords.

Any ways, thancks for reeding. Im glade I could clarrify theeze things for evryone.

• Like 1

And as far as the grammar thing goes, I am personally very anal about my work emails and try to do a decent job in other places to sound literate, at least. I think my spelling is good and I at least know what words I want to use, but as you can tell my sentence structure is crappy sometimes. I think good grammar and spelling is important and I don't click send if I know there is a mistake.

But, I don't think I did as good a job when I was ten. Again, taking Pac Jr at face value as a ten year old male, I think he is doing pretty good (edit: well I hadn't read that last stuff yet - he is just acting up now :-) for an American, prepubescent male. That is grading on a curve, though, and if you say mediocrity is ok, medicrity is what you will get. But, like anything else, if you keep trying, you will get better. I like to think in five years, you will still be on AtariAge, announcing your newest 2600 game with a properly written post and people will say "wow, and this kid is only 15!!"

Edited by Chuck D. Head

A few people have mentioned the proto-Germanic language that English evolved from, so I should point out that it was actually much closer to Dutch than German.

Also, the deterioration of language is not the same thing as the evolution of language. The rules of English grammar might be crazy sometimes (a function of its wonderful richness and versatility), but it's still important to use them as consistently as possible, especially among people for whom English is their first--and possibly only--language. Otherwise, how are we going to weed out all those Nigerian scammers?

• Like 1

The evolution of language is pretty much unavoidable, but come on, to use this fact as a rationale for things like "would of" is nothing but a cop out.

awinnerisyou490-300x174.jpg

I'm just explaining why I believe the only proper way to speak is to express yourself. If you all were able to tell that I meant would've and was able to correct my spelling then I successfully expressed myself. No one asked for a clarification by what I meant by would of because it was already clear. I didn't have to explain to jaybird3rd what I meant by it but it had to be explained to me that bold letters is the proper English way to correct one's spelling. If my grammar and spelling was so horrible that no one could understand me then I would've failed to express myself but it goes both ways. If someone had perfect grammar, perfect spelling, knew the definition of every word, and was like a dictionary/thesaurus then they could still fail to express themselves. They could be using very uncommon words that people don't know the definitions to while explaining a very complex idea that they don't understand. They followed the rules of the language perfectly and chose the words with the best definitions but their audience didn't understand them. I would say that their perfection prevented them from speaking properly.

I believe languages evolve because there isn't a perfect language. Just like biological evolution, languages evolve from errors(mutations). Some errors get passed on ,no longer stay errors, and become considered proper. Some errors don't. I misspelled would've but the abbreviation had to have a first writer. A person in that past was the first to write down would've and people probably thought,"It is spelled would have."

I don't feel like correcting my spelling is beneficial to me. I have long known about would've. I'm not being educated about something new and I already know that I'm a human that is capable of typos. Correcting my spelling reminds me of when kids would make fun of me for the way I dressed. I didn't wear Nikes and Tommy Hilfiger. I wore leather jackets, steel toed boots, bondage belts, spikes, unnatural hair colors, chains, Misfits shirts... They corrected me for failing to dressing properly but it didn't really motivate me to correct my error. It just made me want to be even less like them. I understood that clothing evolves and that there isn't a proper way to dress. They didn't understand that. All they understood is that it is proper to be like everyone else.

It just occurred to me, I'm from Newfoundland Canada... if just this bit of 'bad' grammar on this page has so many panties in a bunch, never come here, your brains will hemorrhage after your imaginary red pens go into overdrive.

Ow's she going der by? Wha? Grammar? Well... spose... proper ting by, we's all should know ow'talk right. Washir name der agin buddy?

you've really gotta hear it to appreciate it

But yes, this guy is overacting in a comedic way, but still it's so true, it's funny

Edited by Torr