IGNORED

I´ve got email from ATARI today...

pps

So what is the purpose of this thread? Comparing this to nazis is completely unrelated. However, in july of 2001, the USAF started a 24 hour around the clock bombing campaign on Baghdad that incited a well-known 2001 event - That is what this situation closely resembles.

I happen to value AA, so please shift these defamatory remarks and publish it in your magazine instead. Or, put your money where your mouth is, and send a direct letter to Atari's attorney stating you take sole responsibility for the following comments you will state in your letter, and leave AA out of it. It's easy to shout when you're part of a mob, but let's see you stand alone. Anything that is posted here can only be destructive to fans of retro computing, NOT to yourself.

I'd rather have an Atari vs Commodore thread than waste it typing these kinds of responses, even if every single person at AA thinks my comments are BS. This is only bad publicity. If you really think there is a problem, then post it front page on AtariUser.com, and also update /. to point at YOUR OWN site.

I value your contributions to retro computing, but right now you're a rebel without a cause that is inciting needless action from Infogrammes lawyers. There are other ways to calmly promote change, but forming angry mobs are completely useless at this point in time. Angry mobs with torches and pitchforks are for AFTER all hope is lost and AA has been shut down.

I don't understand your argument, you're not saying anything about AA removing various infringing threads - but you're bullying a fellow AA member?

I'm not isolating svenski, this is a message to everyone contributing to mass hysteria. This is a textbook example of Stockholm Syndrome - shut the hell up already, and find a new thread to post in. Reading a thread titled "fibernutz is gay" would be far more entertaining than this BS. Or you all could continue to fuel this fire until this thread is locked.

I really wish I could say some kind of buzzkill statement that would get everyone to move on.

• Like 2

1) If you care to read through this thread carefully you will see that AA did not remove Andrew's thread.

2) At no point have I mentioned AA in anything. You are the one saying that AA has done this, done that NOT me. As I said clearly in my first reply to you AA HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS.

3) The article is NOT hosted on AA.

I get where you're going with this, so that's fine . I'll leave you to it.

Edited by svenski

Wow, this turned into a big dick-waving contest instead of constructively discussing this issue. This is serious, "Atari" is claiming copyright over code they don't own. If this is allowed to continue, then it spells the end of homebrew console development as we know it. You guys also want other hardware manufacturers to start doing this too? Better that it be brought to public attention.

And no, I wasn't the one who submitted it to /. I see no problem with it having been submitted, though.

slowly going off Atari, where's my C128

it's probably that chunky cream-coloured thing propping up your 2600 collection :)

thinking about it - isn't there a test that usage of a trademark has to cause confusion? If so then surely it all falls down there, as we've all grown up to understand that 'somegame by softco for the atari' means that the game is written by and the property of softco and is compatible with the atari computer, not produced or authorised by them?

If nobody does anything really stupid I'm sure this will all blow over

Edited by sack-c0s

Jose... Jose... Jose...

None of that makes any sense.. You should learn to speak english before you try to enter arguments. Otherwise, you just look like some rambling pissed off 3rd-worlder, whom noone is going to take seriously..

Don't you see? It's brilliant! Have José write a 10 page reply and see how long it takes their team of lawyers to figure it out.

i agree.

Only 200 downloads *total* for the demo? How sad... 6 years of work. I doubt I could sell 250 copies even if I wanted to.

That's a question only Alfred may be able to answer. I'd ask him for the sales figures for Thrust or Medieval Mayhem for the VCS, e.g., if I wanted to get an estimate of how many copies of a new VCS game could be sold.

But if you want to sell lots of copies, my advice would be to bundle these three games (or ones of similar quality) with a composite modded VCS and a joystick (or a Flashback like clone - a real clone with a working cart slot and controller ports would be preferrable) and let the people play it at the Gamescom (there was a VCS with Jr. Pac-Man that was used during the entire fair).

Oh man, that's an awesome domain name.. You shouldn't give that up..

If you aren't willing to fight for it, someone in one of those EU countries with real "loosely interpreted" intellectual property laws should snatch it up before ATARDI Inc. does..

Oh man, that's an awesome domain name.. You shouldn't give that up..

If you aren't willing to fight for it, someone in one of those EU countries with real "loosely interpreted" intellectual property laws should snatch it up before ATARDI Inc. does..

Are you interested in this domain before the company of which I don't say the name is taking it?

Robert

PPS -

Its my understanding that you have been contacted back by Atari and they have apologized for the misunderstanding. It would be good for you to share that with everyone so that people see that this situation is sorting itself out in regards to the misperception that Atari was going after hobbyist authors and their games at least.

Curt

Can anyone tell me, what the h. my own written programmes - and those written by people here in the forum - can affect any of ATARI´s copyrights?

Atari, Inc.

417 5th Avenue

New York, NY 10016-2204

Tel: 212-726-6500

Fax: 212-726-4214

E-mail: us.legal@atari.com

August 9, 2011

Re: ppsberlin.de

Dear Domain Admin:

I am writing on behalf of Atari, Inc./Atari Interactive, Inc. ("Atari") to demand that you immediately and permanently cease and desist from the infringing activities described below and comply with the other demands set forth in this letter.

Atari is a global producer, publisher and distributor of interactive entertainment software for all market segments and all interactive game platforms. Atari is the exclusive owner of intellectual property rights, including copyrights and trademarks, in numerous interactive entertainment software products, including those listed below, and vigilantly protects its rights.

Based on available information, Atari has a good faith belief that the url(s):

http://www.ppsberlin.de/

http://www.ppsberlin.../new-years-disc

http://www.ppsberlin...starsoft-berlin

infringes its copyright and other intellectual property right by copying, reproducing and/or offering for distribution, display and/or download (including through links to other sites) unauthorized console emulation software and/or unauthorized copies of game products (software) protected by Atari's copyright rights. Atari's copyrighted works that have been infringed include:

Atari 400; Atari 800; Atari 800XL; Atari 130XE

The infringing material or the material that is the subject of infringing activities (collectively referred to as "Infringing Material") is listed and/or identified by console and game-related titles or variations thereof, console and game-related descriptions, or images of console and game-related artwork.

The Infringing Material is in violation of Atari's exclusive rights under the United States Copyright Act. It therefore constitutes copyright infringement in violation of 17 U.S.C. § 501. Pursuant to the provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA"), which is codified at 17 USC § 512, Atari demands that you 1) expeditiously remove or disable access to the Infringing Material; and 2) take steps to prevent further infringement of Atari's intellectual property rights at the above referenced URL(s).

I have a good faith belief that use of the copyrighted materials described herein is not authorized by Atari, its agent, or the law. The information in this notification is accurate. Under penalty of perjury, I affirm I am authorized to act on behalf of Atari whose exclusive copyright rights I believe to be infringed as described herein.

This notice is not intended to be a complete statement of the facts or law in this matter. Nor is it intended to be a complete statement of Atari's positions, rights or remedies, legal or equitable, all of which are specifically reserved.

If you have any questions, please contact me by phone 212-726-6500 or email at us.legal@atari.com.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kristen Keller,

SVP & General Counsel

• Like 3

Andrew, please don't stop programming for the 2600. Your Qb and Christmas Qb are two of my favorite 2600 titles. I play them on a regular basis. Boulder Dash just might not be to everyone's fancy. I assure you, that if you make a variety of titles, they will appeal to a variety of people. Another factor might be that many people prefer carts to roms and emulators. Once Boulder Dash is on cart, in the store, it might sell more than you think, especially around Christmas. You are a great programmer and a great asset to the Atari hobby community. Please don't give up.

I was also under the impression that Boulder Dash was dead.

Hey, wait a minute...

Atari, Inc. probably can bother 2600 but not A8. Why?

Because, probably VCS2600, 5200, 7800 or Jaguar were consoles. Consoles aren't open coding. You need Atari Corporation on the old days to give you permission and resources to program it.

Weren't the VCS carts done with the Atari permission exactly like Nintendo ones?

With the Flashback series they are worried about free 2600... that's understandable.

(Probably that pirate Flasblack was the begining of this and now they are trying to take control of the situation and all will pay for what happened...)

But if it is this then they cannot do anything for 8bit/ST/TT computers because computers are to be coding.

Computers always had third parties doing stuff for them without Atari permission needed.

About the Logo, even on the old days many companies used it, I think.

Wouldn't a 'sh... blah, blah...' like:

"Atari and the Fuji Symbol' are copyright and trademark of Atari Inc."

But because we can't say (and I think we don't have to give all this higher value and always going to ask them for the permission :x ), wouldn't then write this beeing not a so bad option:

"This is not an Atari official site nor anything related or Atari opinion but just personal Atari addicts opinion,..."

Edited by José Pereira

Weren't the VCS carts done with the Atari permission exactly like Nintendo ones?

No. Atari sued Activision, but lost. I think that pretty much opened the doors for everyone else to make games for the VCS.

Michael

That is why all the consoles now put up a splash screen with the company name. The first company to win a lawsuit (was it Sega?) did it on the grounds that the software was claiming that it was authorized by them since it came up right after the splash screen.

PPS -

Its my understanding that you have been contacted back by Atari and they have apologized for the misunderstanding. It would be good for you to share that with everyone so that people see that this situation is sorting itself out in regards to the misperception that Atari was going after hobbyist authors and their games at least.

Curt

ummm, yeah that is kind of an important little detail in all this... what's the word pps? if this is true why wouldn't you post this right away? can you please re-print the apology letter?