IGNORED

I´ve got email from ATARI today...

pps

Just a normal, simple 'ATARI' word at Google and the 5,6,7and8th place from Brazilian guys:

1st- Atari inc.

2d- Atari Wiki

3rd- Atari wiki

4th- Images of 'atari'

5th,6th,7th and 8th: Atari 2600 Br

9th- 'www.atari.org'

10th- 'www.atarimuseum.com'

Next to be banned, probably, would be, or not, Brazilian, AtariOrg...

And what's the real relantionship between AtariMuseum at atari, Inc.? Hey, Curt Vendel?

Probably no pproblem as you are doing a nice and great Job for free to Atari, Inc.

O.k., you are doing a great job for all, but a Museum doesn't be any problem to them ;) ...

And that's why I thought that they are not concerned about 8bit, 16bit or any other computers line.

They are concerned about 2600 Consoles.

Why? Because that's their way of having Profits from things that, in reality aren't from them, but if they bought Atari name it is property of them.

They can never get into the computers because they have most of the software from third parties.

They aren't interested in, ever release a Flash Black of 8bit computers or any other Atari computer Line...

Just because they will never get all the Rights and even they would get them they would need to pay a large of money.

Flashback can be alive just with Atari old Arcade games that they have the copyright.

When they run out of older Atari arcade/VCS2600 games by the older Atari they simply don't release anymore Flasback.

If they have a Treasure in their Hands then they must use it... Today Time's are soo bad... It's a small Market, maybee it seems soo, or probably it isn't.

-> Wgungfu is a Moderator on Atari, Inc retro forums

-> Curt vendel and AtariMuseum have good relçantionship with atari, Inc., I think...

(probably some more here that don't talk also...)

Isn't time for you have the 'guts' to talk/ask/explain them...

Or are you 'living and eating at the same Table as Atari, inc.'?

Come on, say something, answer something,...

Or this will turn real bad.

(I may send another Letter to them with my Bad english, probably this time I may call them some Names, real Names, that wouldn't need 'Google Translation' to know what they mean ;) )

Yours sincerily Atarian,

José Pereira.

Edited by José Pereira

Just a normal, simple 'ATARI' word at Google and the 5,6,7and8th place from Brazilian guys:

1st- Atari inc.

2d- Atari Wiki

3rd- Atari wiki

4th- Images of 'atari'

9th- 'www.atari.org'

I got:

atari.com

atari.com/play

atari.com/store

atari (wikipedia)

atari 2600 (wikipedia)

atarimuseum.com

atariage.com/2600/

atari2600.com

atari.org

atarihq.com

Not included the interspersed news result on Atari Bigby.

I get:

atari.com

atari.com/play

atari.com/store

atari.com/support

atari.com/undergarden

atari.com/games/dnd_daggerdale

atari (wikipedia)

atari 2600 (wikipedia)

atarimuseum.com

atariage.com/2600/

Looks like AtariProtos is sitting at 139. Right behind a Kotaku article about Chuck E Cheese and above the Yolo Atari Club. Sigh.

Tempest

I get:

www.atari.com/

www.atari.com/store

de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari

www.atari2600.com/

www.atari-museum.de/

www.atari.org/

www.atari-home.de/

bildet-laeden.de/

www.zock.com/8-Bit/D_Atari.HTML

www.atarimuseum.com/

AtariAge is on 12th place, Atarimania is on place 78, AtariProtos not within the Top 600.

I was also under the impression that Boulder Dash was dead.

Did you miss the demo we released a few weeks ago?

I did - haven't been following much 2600 news lately.

i saw it :')

even installed stella on my machine to try it out!

very nice!

sloopy.

This sucks. I wouldn't feel at all bad if Anonymous went after Atari like they did with Sony. Not saying it's right but wouldn't feel sorry for Atari if they did.

F**k Anonymous. They stole my personal info from a site that they didn't like. :x

That is why all the consoles now put up a splash screen with the company name. The first company to win a lawsuit (was it Sega?) did it on the grounds that the software was claiming that it was authorized by them since it came up right after the splash screen.

I don't know if anyone won such a case, but SEGA certainly didn't. The case was SEGA v. Accolade and SEGA initially won, but Accolade appealed and won the appeal. Even if a console says the equivalent of "PRODUCED BY OR UNDER LICENSE FROM BUMBLEFUCK ENTERPRISES LTD", if your program code/packaging/advertisements make it very clear that, no, you actually aren't licensed, then you're in the clear on that front. Doesn't mean you still can't get in trouble as far as copy protection, etc. That's why Datel's method of pressing PS2-compatible discs was legal - they basically cut the center portion out and grafted it onto their own discs (not sure how the hell they did it, but they did), and Datel is very clear that their products are unlicensed. So it doesn't really matter that the console displays the product name on bootup. Notice that even on current-gen consoles, where you have to bypass copy prevention in order to run your code, they never, never go after the homebrew coders, only those actually hacking the security itself (and even then that's like playing Whack-a-mole with a weak Nerf mallet). That basically hinges on the fact that it's not your code displaying the trademark, it's the console itself.

"Atari" here simply forgets that trademarks can legally be used descriptively, they just can't be used deceptively (for example, if Andrew were claiming he were Atari then they would be in the right).

Edited by LocalH
  • Like 3

I wouldn't say ignore it...but maybe keep on guard. Atari2600.org just got shutdown and handed over to them.

By U.S. law, maintaining copyrights on hardware has to be done regularly. As far as I'm aware, the rights on all of Atari's hardware were either released by Hasbro or reached their maturity. I highly suggest you seek legal advice on this matter and make points on the hardware copyrights. I could understand some Atari software...it's the hardware that is interesting me. Unless they can show proof that they renewed those copyrights, they really have no case that I am aware of. Then again, I'm not a lawyer, but I did have to study copyright practices in a college course recently. If today's Atari is going to be like this, then I agree with another post...no future Atari products no matter how awesome they are will not be allowed in my home.

Atari sent me a similar email (same sender) asking me to remove my Flash version of Adventure. So it's off my site now.

:-(

http://www.joystiq.c...and-mobile-vps/

They are shaking things up.

They're *always* shaking things up, the amount of management changes since 2005 has been staggering. They're the Grand Central Station of employment.

Atari sent me a similar email (same sender) asking me to remove my Flash version of Adventure. So it's off my site now.

Which is understandable. Curt and myself have been mentioning that for a while now, doing things like creating clones of other people's IP, titling off their IP, etc. is going to get this kind of response. You went even further, going so far as to even state "This is an EXACT clone of the Atari 2600 game "Adventure" from 1978, now done in Flash. It is based off an annotated disassembly of the original game." Not only stating you produced an exact copy of their protected IP, but used their copyrighted source code to do it (disassembly or not, the code is still copyrighted). Plus you even titled it "Atari 2600 Adventure". You might as well have opened a fake Apple store in Cupertino if you were going to so blatantly violate IP protections.

Edited by wgungfu

Does that mean that this website might be a victim as well for using the name?

Atari2600.org went down because Andrew decided just to give it to them rather than fight it.

Name nothing, all the r0mz here are a much bigger problem.

Nope. Atari is fully aware of what's here and Al has always complied to requests to take down things they or other companies want down. This was all hashed out years ago when we were doing the FB1, FB2, etc.

Edited by wgungfu

Name nothing, all the r0mz here are a much bigger problem.

Yeah that is going to be a problem, but AA won't have to remove everything, only the stuff that Atari has copyrights too if I'm correct. Many of the games the original devs, or the current copyright holders have given us permission to have on the site, though it is something to be aware of.

Does that mean that this website might be a victim as well for using the name?

Atari2600.org went down because Andrew decided just to give it to them rather than fight it.

Thats too bad, but I can understand Andrew not wanting to get stuck with legal expenses as well.

-Disjaukifa

Marty has explained it very well in #318 . Atari are going to be looking at all "their" past titles and looking to cash in on them as they move to mobile and social gaming. They have a right to protect their IP. Where they get it wrong (in my opinion going after atari2600.org is wrong and counter productive) then as a community we should be right to speak out about it but there will be plenty of cases where Atari have a legitimate right to go after people for IP infringements.

If you want to have Atari games available to play online on your site then Atari have a legitimate way for you to do that.

Jose,

I've been on the phone for 3 nights in a row with Atari legal, last night was actually 2 very long calls working with them on this situation, your comment about me eating at the same table - perhaps you thought you were being comical, it was insulting - I reach out all the time on the Atari communities behalf to Atari and I've helped resolved numerous things, I've already chimed in on this thread multiple times already, so I have spoken up... maybe instead of saying stupid things and making comments that sound like shallow accusations you should think a little better next time.

Curt

1st- Atari inc.

2d- Atari Wiki

3rd- Atari wiki

4th- Images of 'atari'

9th- 'www.atari.org'

Next to be banned, probably, would be, or not, Brazilian, AtariOrg...

And what's the real relantionship between AtariMuseum at atari, Inc.? Hey, Curt Vendel?

Probably no pproblem as you are doing a nice and great Job for free to Atari, Inc.

O.k., you are doing a great job for all, but a Museum doesn't be any problem to them ;) ...

And that's why I thought that they are not concerned about 8bit, 16bit or any other computers line.

They are concerned about 2600 Consoles.

Why? Because that's their way of having Profits from things that, in reality aren't from them, but if they bought Atari name it is property of them.

They can never get into the computers because they have most of the software from third parties.

They aren't interested in, ever release a Flash Black of 8bit computers or any other Atari computer Line...

Just because they will never get all the Rights and even they would get them they would need to pay a large of money.

Flashback can be alive just with Atari old Arcade games that they have the copyright.

When they run out of older Atari arcade/VCS2600 games by the older Atari they simply don't release anymore Flasback.

If they have a Treasure in their Hands then they must use it... Today Time's are soo bad... It's a small Market, maybee it seems soo, or probably it isn't.

-> Wgungfu is a Moderator on Atari, Inc retro forums

-> Curt vendel and AtariMuseum have good relçantionship with atari, Inc., I think...

(probably some more here that don't talk also...)

Isn't time for you have the 'guts' to talk/ask/explain them...

Or are you 'living and eating at the same Table as Atari, inc.'?

Come on, say something, answer something,...

Or this will turn real bad.

(I may send another Letter to them with my Bad english, probably this time I may call them some Names, real Names, that wouldn't need 'Google Translation' to know what they mean ;) )

Yours sincerily Atarian,

José Pereira.

• Like 4