IGNORED

Price check/interest in a 8-track player.

ATARI7800fan

Hello. I was wondering what a usual price on a 8-track would be and what models/brands people feel are the best for the money. I am currently looking for something simple like this, something with just the left and right 2 channel outputs that could be hooked up to a simple cheap soundesign receiver/radio/casette.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2508707946961?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=250870794696&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Hello. I was wondering what a usual price on a 8-track would be and what models/brands people feel are the best for the money. I am currently looking for something simple like this, something with just the left and right 2 channel outputs that could be hooked up to a simple cheap soundesign receiver/radio/casette.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2508707946961?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=250870794696&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I think you should just look at garage sales and dumpsters!

• Like 2

...also check thrift stores. I repaired 8-tracks back when they were popular back in the '70s, still repair them. I even made money fixing the tapes! There's one guy I know has an original '78 Camaro with a built in 8-track and I record new tapes for him! Garth Brooks on 8-track? You bet!

I have tried, seem to live in a area where they are uncommon. Could you put Duran Duran's astronaut album on one, part of it of course.

Edited by ATARI7800fan

8-Track players aren't exactly everywhere anymore.

Before getting all excited about *that* technology though, best become acquainted with the art of opening them up without destroying 'em (the actual 8-Track tapes themselves), replacing their pads (a guy on ePay sells 'em) and splicing/repairing broken tape. They break and they break often today. Usually right at the part of the metal band that tells the head to jump tracks.

You should be able to purchase any old 8-Track player from a local thrift store, ePay, Craigslist, yard sale, or pawn shop, but prepared to replace its drive belt right away and clean any moveable pots with contact cleaner. Dumpster diving for one paid well back in the 80's and 90's, but today, you'd be wasting your time. Although the image thanatos painted was something I've done and yielded well - back_in_the_day. :lol:

Good luck! I live by and know these people fairly well. Not dirt cheap, but the stuff has been gone over and they typically stand by their work. You may have a like-minded salon out by you, but if not, they're willing to ship in most cases.

BTW: here's a pic of my 8-Track machine. Yep, your eyes don't deceive. It also records, has discrete recording levels/meters/mic as well as line level inputs. Fast forwards and has a quadraphonic decoder built in as well. True quad baby!

Machines totally refurbished such as this can fetch upwards of $200 and all things considered, not too shabby for something that will outlast the CD and DVD players of today. Be prepared to *maintain* such an investment though! I've got plenty of head/capstan/pinch roller cleaner, NOS blank tape and a real tape head demagnetizer. :)

post-13896-0-51840600-1313124251_thumb.jpg

8-Track players aren't exactly everywhere anymore.

Before getting all excited about *that* technology though, best become acquainted with the art of opening them up without destroying 'em (the actual 8-Track tapes themselves), replacing their pads (a guy on ePay sells 'em) and splicing/repairing broken tape. They break and they break often today. Usually right at the part of the metal band that tells the head to jump tracks.

You should be able to purchase any old 8-Track player from a local thrift store, ePay, Craigslist, yard sale, or pawn shop, but prepared to replace its drive belt right away and clean any moveable pots with contact cleaner. Dumpster diving for one paid well back in the 80's and 90's, but today, you'd be wasting your time. Although the image thanatos painted was something I've done and yielded well - back_in_the_day. :lol:

Good luck! I live by and know these people fairly well. Not dirt cheap, but the stuff has been gone over and they typically stand by their work. You may have a like-minded salon out by you, but if not, they're willing to ship in most cases.

BTW: here's a pic of my 8-Track machine. Yep, your eyes don't deceive. It also records, has discrete recording levels/meters/mic as well as line level inputs. Fast forwards and has a quadraphonic decoder built in as well. True quad baby!

Machines totally refurbished such as this can fetch upwards of $200 and all things considered, not too shabby for something that will outlast the CD and DVD players of today. Be prepared to *maintain* such an investment though! I've got plenty of head/capstan/pinch roller cleaner, NOS blank tape and a real tape head demagnetizer. :)

post-13896-0-51840600-1313124251_thumb.jpg

Thanks, what tips/info could you provide on cleaning and taking care of 8-tracks and players. Would they also repair equipment. My uncle says he has nice Quadraphonic system but it has been sitting in his basement for years. Would you be able to fix systems.

I don't repair audio gear for people, just take care of my own stuff. Already outlined what needs to be done to a cassette or 8-track player with some regular frequency. You can hear when you're heads are dirty or need to be demagnetized as the sound will be muffled, warbly and have no highs. And that link I provided, they repair hi-fi equipment of course, but I'm sure you'd have someone more local that provides the same service...

I have an 8-track player sitting in the garage that I bought from eBay - seller said "it works" but had they actually tested it they would have noticed that the belt exploded inside.

Can I ship my 8-track player out to these peeps to have repaired and restored?

Since you know them well, you can say that I'm an AA bud! ;)

8-tracks are fun, I had a Sony that must have looked really weird in tghe 70's, because it had the same styling as the stuff they had out several years later-- silver all over, round corners. Looked great with vintage equipment since it looked so different. Not a hint of woodgrain or large switches. All silver and quasi-futuristic.

It's gone, I've been on the lookout for another one.

Yeah, no need for a plug... just send them your busted stuff along with their $38 estimate fee (gets applied back to the repair job), a note explaining what all you think is wrong and you should be in business. Instructions, contact info and address are on their site. I'd start by measuring that belt though and replace it yourself. Besides a good cleaning, that may be all that's wrong with it...

WOW now I know i'm old I had one of those..

Chris

Yeah, no need for a plug... just send them your busted stuff along with their $38 estimate fee (gets applied back to the repair job), a note explaining what all you think is wrong and you should be in business. Instructions, contact info and address are on their site. I'd start by measuring that belt though and replace it yourself. Besides a good cleaning, that may be all that's wrong with it...

I sent them an email over a week ago and never got a response. I'll give them a call.