IGNORED

Tracking your collection

Master Phruby

I use a spreadsheet. I still haven't gotten around to making one for 2600 though. I am a major label variation collector and I just haven't found a suitable list to work from. I guess I'll make my own, but it is so complex on the 2600. It is tough to decide exactly what constitutes a major label variation versus a minor one. Then there are box variations and so forth.

I used a spreadsheet as well. I use OpenOffice because I wont pay for Microsoft Office when I can get the same function free :D . I have spreadsheets for 2600, 7800, NES, and SNES right now. The trouble is updating it. I think I need to go back through the entire collection as I think I have missed some stuff and that is a bad thing. The list to track your collection only has value while it is completely correct. If something is missing from it, or something is there that you don't have the list has no use.

I use gamecollector software from Collectorz.com it isn't perfect, but i'm happy with it.

A program that has almost the same futures as gamecollector is also available and is called My Extreme game manager.

Think the support of the second is a bit better, since the programmers of collectorz don't really support classic games, and are reluctant to add a few simple extra's that would make it a even better program. Since extreme game manager is a lot like gamecollectorz, i would think it is made by somebody that got tired of the "negative" behavior from the gamecollectorz programmers towards classic games, and decide he could do it better.

There is a import function in extreme game manager to import a gamecollectorz database, but it doesn't import all field yet, so i stick with gamecollectorz for now. Maybe i will switch someday, who knows.

I use a basic text document. It makes it easy to pass on to people, or at least, it has a better chance of displaying on more devices than other formats. An Excel spreadsheet is probably the better way to do it for personal use. Being able to sort by category at-will, provided you have the document laid out properly, can surely be useful once your collection gets large.

We'll i use the software, because i want to have screenshots of games, scans of labels, box scans and a short description of the game, as well as other info at hand offline. You can export lists in various ways to take it with you or to hand out.

I use vgcollect.com. It's a relatively new site and it has pretty much every platform out there including arcades. There is a android app that works in conjunction with the website. I'm a little biased because I work there, but it's the best thing that I have come across yet.

For now, I track it all in my head. It is getting so large that I need to look at other options though.

Excel spreadsheets are out of the question because, although they are sortable by column, they are not searchable by data category. This is where a MS Access database comes into play. I want full search functionality, like all games made before 1980, all games made by Spectravision, All VCS text labels, etc. Spreadsheets cannot offer that sort of functionality. Databases can.

I have some training in MS Access and need to get to work soon creating a good database for collectors. Maybe I could sell it to fellow collectors.

I actually keep my collection in a Microsoft Access program I created. I put the system as my first column, then title of game, company, product number, cart, manual, box, and an extra column at the end for comments. There I put maybe which version I have, or if there are overlays with the game, etc. If I collected all variations, I'd probably put a variation column. The cart, manual and box columns I write either yes or no as to whether I have them. Then I can do a sort with specific criteria if I want to create small lists from the master.

As for lists of things I'm missing, I just make the list in MS Word and print it out. It's much easier to carry a list now since I own the majority of the games for many of the systems I do collect. I also have both Digital Press price guides, one for the vintage games, and one of the more modern. He has check boxes to fill in so I know if I own it. Next to the title, I will write B for Box, I for instruction manual, O(#) for overlays, or SEALED if it's sealed.

Phil

Edited by Philflound

I only collect and play, so my 2600 collection is primarily loose, other than rarer games, where I'll collect the manual. I don't make a big habit of that, though, so for keeping track I just make sure they're alphabetized.

I use (openoffice/libreoffice) spread sheet so I can easily modify it when I want to change something (like add a new piece of information, like "label condition"). I can export to a plain text file anytime I want to. I can create different reports, and it's easy to sort, and easy to search for any keyword or phrase (for example the publisher, or developer, or year, or ...).

I collect for every game system, and have something like 9000 entries so far (no, I don't own everything in my list yet), and can fit a complete list on about 30 pages of paper by using a small, but readable font and 4 columns. I keep a list of the games I have in the car, and check against it when looking for games (No batteries required, and I can also keep a list in my wife's car, and it doesn't bother me if I drop it or it gets wet). The only problem I've had is one time I forgot to sort the list and another time my printer ran out of paper in the middle of the list and I didn't realize it until I got to the game show (aaarrrg!).

Also, regarding TZ101's comment, you may want to look at the "filter" function of openoffice spread sheet, which seems to allow what you are describing you can't live without. I know a database program is more flexible and more powerful, but also more trouble to maintain and port to new platforms, in my opinion.

I use a program called Delicious Library and you can see it here: MetalJesus.com. Costs $35 and uses the camera on your computer to scan bar codes (if available) to automatically populate the details of the game in your database, including box art. Then, it has a 1-button publish to the web and works with just about any hosting site. I love it.

Excel spreadsheets are out of the question because, although they are sortable by column, they are not searchable by data category. This is where a MS Access database comes into play. I want full search functionality, like all games made before 1980, all games made by Spectravision, All VCS text labels, etc. Spreadsheets cannot offer that sort of functionality. Databases can.

That sounds like a personal problem; Excel's capable of everything you've described. You just need to bother to enter the data in the first place. It can't sort what you haven't entered.

I track my games in an Excel spreadsheet too, though I've begun keeping it as a Google spreadsheet for convenience's sake.

Another vote for Excel.

While I never used it to track video games, I did use it to track my movie collection which included many different formats and thousands of titles. Prior to Excel I used to type up a yearly personal catalog on an electric typewriter. Took weeks to audit, make a rough draft and type up. When Excel came along, it made everything so much easier. I even added a brief summary to all the films and rated them! Excel all the way!

I use Atari Guide Game Manager. It's bitchin.

I use that as well, and I also use a custom spread sheet I made. I have a column for titles grouped by manufacturer with columns to indicate if I have the cart, instructions, box, and overlay. Then I use formulas to create lists of carts, carts with instructions, carts needing instructions, instructions needing carts.

Then when ever I get something new, I copy the bin file for it to my "Owned" folder on the SD card for my Harmony cart.