IGNORED

Atari 815 - What's Inside?

fibrewire

Man, that is too cool! They went right up to the edge of the PCB, didn't they!

Yep, and on a side note: Pic #3 shows a possibility why only the top drive is functioning when last tested before shipment... I will give it a try when I get this bad boy home. For now, it's back in the box... 17lbs

post-27823-0-37077800-1313251317_thumb.jpg

Why does it look like if you filled in all the missing components this could drive 4 mechs? LOL

This is purely speculative, but perhaps it was to be a DS DD dual floppy drive originally. All of the missing components and missing header pins parallel the r/w head circuitry for both drives. Dual 360K drives would have been unheard of storage space back in 1980 for a home computer...

Wow! I think that's the ultimate VINTAGE 800 setup - in the world!

Thanks!

Is the Corvus connected? I thought it goes to joystick ports?

Normally, yes. I packed up all of my Atari 800 upgrades and sent them to Curt Vendel for replication. Sadly, I can't use the Corvus Disk System without the interface

Do you have the 80-col card in that machine?

Normally, yes, but it is in more capable hands at the moment - replication for the masses!

Glad to see you fulfilled your quest to get an 815! I love the Amdek 300A monitor, too. I've got one of those, and it's always been one of my favorites; amber monochrome is still the monitor color that's easiest on my eyes. I use it mainly with my XEP80 adapter.

I still set my putty colors to yellow on black for just that reason. White on a black background is so harsh in comparison.

Two things i personally would like to see are a schematic and dump of the rom chips.

I would then dissassemble the roms to have a a look.

James

look here for the 815 controller source - i think some of the dummy bits were for dual side indication

There is a reference to a 2nd rom in the source which isn't listed. The pics show a 2nd rom. wounder if that is it?

Also reference is also made to a higher speed SIO way back in 1980!!!!!! which is also in the 2nd rom.

Another thing is it looks like the 815 doesn't have a floppy controller.

James

Two things i personally would like to see are a schematic and dump of the rom chips.

I would then dissassemble the roms to have a a look.

James

I think Glenn Bruner used to have a copy of the 815 schematics. I checked a care package I received from him years ago and sadly those are missing from it. Dratz