IGNORED

The Atari 5200 And Controllers

bigbee99

For the knowledgeable: Would a brand new 5200 controller go bad over time? Every so often, you see new-ish looking 5200 controllers on eBay with the protective film still covering the metal plate. Let's say that it was kept in a dry, climate-controlled environment so that corrosion isn't a problem.

Yes, they do go bad.

Basically the 5200 buttons are very much like the buttons in a TV remote control. Carbon dots that touch traces when pressed. I guess over time the traces oxidize and the carbon doesn't provide enough conductivity to short the traces.

I picked up a couple of untested 5200 controllers for cheap off eBay. I was able to get one fully functional with a pencil eraser on the flex. The other one is what's got me scratching my head. It looks new, newer than the other one. The flex looks mint. But the bottom left fire button won't register, even when I touch it with the tip of a screwdriver. Every other button works. Assuming that the controller is new, would the flex go bad? I know now that the carbon points do.

For the knowledgeable: Would a brand new 5200 controller go bad over time? Every so often, you see new-ish looking 5200 controllers on eBay with the protective film still covering the metal plate. Let's say that it was kept in a dry, climate-controlled environment so that corrosion isn't a problem.

Yes, they do go bad.

Basically the 5200 buttons are very much like the buttons in a TV remote control. Carbon dots that touch traces when pressed. I guess over time the traces oxidize and the carbon doesn't provide enough conductivity to short the traces.

I picked up a couple of untested 5200 controllers for cheap off eBay. I was able to get one fully functional with a pencil eraser on the flex. The other one is what's got me scratching my head. It looks new, newer than the other one. The flex looks mint. But the bottom left fire button won't register, even when I touch it with the tip of a screwdriver. Every other button works. Assuming that the controller is new, would the flex go bad? I know now that the carbon points do.

I have seen many a flex circuit not work even though the traces all look to be fine. They break where the flex bends to go in the slot for the START PAUSE RESET buttons. I forget what revision, but it is common for the left bottom button to not work because the trace for that button runs up and around the START PASUE RESET part of the circuit. You can use a meter and check of continuity all along the trace to find out where it is broke. However, it sounds like you need to order a new flex for that stick. Not a big deal. They sell on ebay for less than $10 shipped last I checked.

• 4 months later...
:) I always use Windex on e cuetip after the eraser.

I just wanted to thank you for the excellent video Jr. Pac; I was able to salvage a 5200 controller thanks to your excellent advice.

I recently bought a 5200 system at Ebay for $25 listed as "parts or not working" and it came with 2 controllers that were not functioning. One of them had the circuit board for the Start Pause Reset missing and the other had a torn rubber base for the joystick. I was able to create a Frankenstein joystick between the two controllers and I now have a great condition and fully functioning one. Sweet!

I did have some difficulty prying the bezel for the Start Pause Reset though. I originally thought that I ripped the paper thin circuit board off but the board is missing and no where to be found ergo it must have been that way before I pried that stubborn bezel off.

Well, thanks again for excellent video; it's appreciated. I'm amazed that such a simple fix works with these infamous controllers. I suspect the problems that the Angry Video Game Nerd had with his 5200 was all based on dirty Start Pause Reset buttons. All that he needed to do was pop the bezel off and clean the contacts; you don’t even need to take the controller apart. That’s an awesome trick I won’t forget anytime soon :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UADuUdgrbug&feature=mh_lolz&list=FLN5K5RamUFJs :) I always use Windex on e cuetip after the eraser.

I just wanted to thank you for the excellent video Jr. Pac; I was able to salvage a 5200 controller thanks to your excellent advice.

I recently bought a 5200 system at Ebay for $25 listed as "parts or not working" and it came with 2 controllers that were not functioning. One of them had the circuit board for the Start Pause Reset missing and the other had a torn rubber base for the joystick. I was able to create a Frankenstein joystick between the two controllers and I now have a great condition and fully functioning one. Sweet!

I did have some difficulty prying the bezel for the Start Pause Reset though. I originally thought that I ripped the paper thin circuit board off but the board is missing and no where to be found ergo it must have been that way before I pried that stubborn bezel off.

Well, thanks again for excellent video; it's appreciated. I'm amazed that such a simple fix works with these infamous controllers. I suspect the problems that the Angry Video Game Nerd had with his 5200 was all based on dirty Start Pause Reset buttons. All that he needed to do was pop the bezel off and clean the contacts; you don’t even need to take the controller apart. That’s an awesome trick I won’t forget anytime soon :thumbsup:

unless you have the gold reflex. I sure you have to take the controller apart and clean the fire buttons. Just play afew rounds of HSC.

I just needed to pop the bezel off for the Start Pause Reset buttons, cleaned the contacts and I was good to go. I used Deoxit applied via cotton swabs after scrubbing them with 91% alcohol though and not the eraser method that Jr. Pac mentioned.

I did take the controller apart after testing it and cleaned every button contact point because the tear in the rubber base for the joystick bothered me. I replaced it with the joystick that had the torn Start Pause Reset circuit board. I think someone tried to open the joystick before, forgot to remove the bezel first and accidentally ripped the circuit board off.

Edited by guy767

Don't get me wrong though, the Best repair parts, I hear, are fantastic.

I just put a new flex circuit and gold buttons in a controller for the 5200 I bought new back in--well, it had to be between '82 and '84 I suppose. The buttons work great now, I'm going to do the other one this evening. Assuming they last better, it seemed worth doing.

I still want a digital stick for Joust, though, one that doesn't force me to mash buttons with the wrist rotated around.

F8

Gotta say, Bradley's "Gold Dot" upgrade is WELL worth the money. (http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/5200.htm)

It's amazing how well it works, with no mushiness or issues - - although, it still doesn't self-center, oh well!

Combine those controllers with an ATARIMAX SD cartridge, and you will be where I have been for several days - - playing a lot of 5200! The XL conversion games are fantastic. JUMPMAN JR forever! (. . . and GATEWAY TO APSHAI is an old friend I was happy to find again!).

One note with the new controllers from Best Electronics, you often have to adjust the potentiometer inside the 5200 in order to get the "center" and sensitivity right on the unit. I just did it over the weekend for someone who bought the Gold Dot units at my recommendation and then was confused as to why the controllers didn't seem to work!

-a2a

Gotta say, Bradley's "Gold Dot" upgrade is WELL worth the money. (http://www.best-elec...ca.com/5200.htm)

The XL conversion games are fantastic. JUMPMAN JR forever! (. . . and GATEWAY TO APSHAI is an old friend I was happy to find again!).

-a2a

Seriously you can play Jumpman JR on a 5200? Can you post the link to the XL conversions?

Thanks,

NP

Edited by NickelPlate

Gotta say, Bradley's "Gold Dot" upgrade is WELL worth the money. (http://www.best-elec...ca.com/5200.htm)

The XL conversion games are fantastic. JUMPMAN JR forever! (. . . and GATEWAY TO APSHAI is an old friend I was happy to find again!).

-a2a

Seriously you can play Jumpman JR on a 5200? Can you post the link to the XL conversions?

Thanks,

NP

I think you will find this link to have what you need . . . ;)

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/173573-atari-5200-ultimate-sd-cartridge-project-update/page__view__findpost__p__2250138

-a2a

• 1 month later...