IGNORED

Sorting out the CV & ADAM Utilities

NIAD

On 8/13/2021 at 11:45 PM, NIAD said:

Final Test Rev. 3.3 requires the Adam Final Test Module that is housed in an Exp. Mod. #1/Atari Adapter case that is pictured in a previous post.

Yes, good point.  I understand the Test Module is expected for this program to fully function.  I have found some of the Final Test Rev. 3.3 procedures work fine without it and particularly like that version of the keyboard test, which is guided to cover all the underlying matrix traces without having to use every single key.  However, the forced printer reporting of each step is quite annoying for those of us still using a SmartWriter for the power supply though!  It was such a breakthrough value back in the day, but the printer is so badly maligned by modern critics.  I still have more tests to perform, including a partially faulty Coleco 64K RAM expander!

Regards,

Shawn

Diagnosing my partially faulty 64K Memory Expander in a working ADAM.

A little less useful information from that test ROM.  The memory error appears just after testing begins, but unsure if testing halts or continues to look for additional faults.  Doesn't help me pinpoint which chip to investigate or replace either.IMG_20210815_123737967.thumb.jpg.84a2417bd6b4468fd7be21746bc06d9d.jpg  Oh well, can't win them all.

Just a couple of observations that might help others, and please correct me if I'm wrong...

In the zip file, the folder with ColecoVision In-House Utility Carts has the Gamma Debug.  I think this is more for ADAM rather than ColecoVision.  Test 4 of this cart will show "CHECK SUM", which displays the ROM checksums for U2 (ColecoVision OS ROM), U8, U20, U21, and U22 (ADAM ROMS 1-4).  On my 2 ADAM Standalone systems, I consistently got the expected ROM values D483, DC0E, B113, and AEB9 plus the unusual U22 value 251F.  Another related anomaly is from the ADAM Final Test - Menu Version cart.  Option 7 TEST ROMS.  All the ROM values come back the same as the Gamma test except ROM4 actually reports F385 (correctly).  However, run this option 7 more than once without hitting game reset and it DEFINITELY reports incorrect and *changing* ROM checksums each time for ROMs 1-3.  In summary, these tests ARE REALLY helpful for some diagnostic information but they also have quirks that may confuse some first time users.  Those were my observations so far.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 4/6/2012 at 6:23 PM, NIAD said:

FINALLY!

After acquiring an original "ADAM Diagnostic Cartridge" the other day, I was finally able to re-explore trying to get a GOOD dump of this ADAM only cartridge... all dumps of this that have been previously available were bad. So with a little help with some modern hardware, I was finally able to make a good and working rom dump for all to enjoy!

@NIAD Thanks for putting the file together in this thread.

Is it possible to burn this image in to an EPROM and place it into a 32K cart like:

image.thumb.png.ba7f297eb35ff91133d7b4ce34bc66b0.png

-or-

image.thumb.png.ae02b02f8e0ce364d7a07142afd6c2b9.png

I do have an atarimax cart -maybe I should just stick with that?

1 hour ago, dhe said:

@NIAD Thanks for putting the file together in this thread.

Is it possible to burn this image in to an EPROM and place it into a 32K cart like:

image.thumb.png.ba7f297eb35ff91133d7b4ce34bc66b0.png

-or-

image.thumb.png.ae02b02f8e0ce364d7a07142afd6c2b9.png

I do have an atarimax cart -maybe I should just stick with that?

Yes, with the proper Prom/Eprom Burner and a CV Homebrew Cart PCB, you can make your own carts but seeing as you have the AtariMax Ultimate SD Cart, there really is no need to invest all that time and money to make your own carts. I honestly would buy a second AtariMax cart to have as a backup then go the other route of making my own carts but.... to each, their own.

• Like 1