IGNORED

The 3DS price drop. What's your situation?

Rhindle The Red

The 3DS price drop. What's your situation?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. The 3DS price drop. What's your situation?

• I was an early adopter.
    • I got one when the drop was announced to get the extras.
    • I got the low price early (yay!)
    • I got / will get one after the drop.
    • I'm still not interested. Maybe later, maybe not. But not now.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

So, the 3DS didn't set the world on fire. It was more Game Boy micro / PSPGo than Game Boy Advance. So, Nintendo has dropped the price a whopping 40% and thrown a bunch of free ones and zeros at those of us who already had the machine.

What about you guys? Did you already have one? Did you get one to snag the free data? Did you take advantage of the early price droppers? Do you still not give a darn?

Me, I got a used one about a month and a half ago and I love it. Regular DS games often play better on it and the 3D camera is a hoot. Other extras (Netflix, etc.) are a bonus, but the heart is the machine and it's a good one. It still needs some games, but I'd say if you were considering a DS or DSi, the 3DS is the way to go unless you need GBA combatibility or the titles specific to the DSi store.

I think there are a couple of choices missing from the poll, at least it seems to me; I suggest additional choices:

* I will consider it more seriously after addition price drop(s)

* I will consider it more seriously after the redesign [that is now expected of Nintendo handhelds]

* I will consider it more seriously after the redesign, price drop(s), and additional exclusive titles

....or something along those lines. I didn't want to vote completely "against" the 3DS, so I couldn't vote in this poll.

It still needs some games, but I'd say if you were considering a DS or DSi, the 3DS is the way to go unless you need GBA combatibility or the titles specific to the DSi store.

Nah, if you were considering a DS or DSi, get the XL. If you're considering playing new handheld Nintendo games in 2012 and beyond, get a 3DS. 3DS isn't great for DS games; the XL is.

* I will consider it more seriously after the redesign [that is now expected of Nintendo handhelds]

I love the technology behind the 3DS but Nintendo have badly botched the business model behind it. So I intend to get one after Christmas when either the price will be further dropped or a new hardware design (one that hopefully takes care of the scratching screens as well as the warped d-pads) comes out with much increased battery life.

Oh, and word of advice to Nintendo, start giving indie developers access to your handheld so the 3DS gets something awesome like Angry Birds, or you might as well give up.

My two cents worth.

I voted "still not interested" ... not till the new year.

I think there are a couple of choices missing from the poll, at least it seems to me; I suggest additional choices:

* I will consider it more seriously after the redesign, price drop(s), and additional exclusive titles

....or something along those lines. I didn't want to vote completely "against" the 3DS, so I couldn't vote in this poll.

Those just cloud the issue. It was a question about your situation *now*. All those = "I'm still not interested." There could be a "yet" after that sentence, but it isn't necessary. The point is, you're not interested.

this has been discussed in another thread.

Thank you for the information. And your point is???????

It still needs some games, but I'd say if you were considering a DS or DSi, the 3DS is the way to go unless you need GBA combatibility or the titles specific to the DSi store.

Nah, if you were considering a DS or DSi, get the XL. If you're considering playing new handheld Nintendo games in 2012 and beyond, get a 3DS. 3DS isn't great for DS games; the XL is.

Oh, I *hate* the XL. It's too big and bulky and everything looks pixellated because it's stretched. I still say the 3DS is the way to go. Some games control better with the 3DS' analog knub, even if at their heart they're still getting a digital signal. Mario Kart DS, for example, is a lot smoother. The 3DS actually helps make DS games play better. A more significant plus to me than a honking big screen.

Those just cloud the issue. It was a question about your situation *now*. All those = "I'm still not interested." There could be a "yet" after that sentence, but it isn't necessary. The point is, you're not interested.

Well, I suppose if one forces a qualifier of "right this second" in the poll question, then maybe so. However, I call a distinction between "not interested" and "not buying." I am interested, but I am not buying - yet - but I may in the future. If the original Nintendo DS may be considered comparable (and one must call into question why it would not be), I was interested when the DS came out, but I didn't buy until the DS Lite. I strongly suspect that I was not alone in this maneuver, as I believe the Lite was the most popular model - by no small margin. Many will anticipate a repeat of history - and wait for a "3DSi Lite SP" (whatever) that's superior, and for less money with better software. Call it "clouding the issue" (since it's your poll) but as the 3DS story is still a fairly recent one, I find this position relevant, established by precedent (DS/DS Lite), and distinct from "not interested." :)

Edited by wood_jl

I don't plan on getting it, unless someone sells one for $10 or something...

I have a DS Lite that I've only played with about 1 month... And I've had it for over 2 years.

Oh, I *hate* the XL. It's too big and bulky and everything looks pixellated because it's stretched.

I really do disagree with that.. I've played countless games on the XL and quite honestly the only time I've seen obvious pixelation was on Picross 3D with the numbers on the blocks (but only when rotated to a certain angle). Aside from that I think the DS graphics remain gorgeous on it. :) I do think it's definitely the way to go if you want to focus on regular DS games.

But that being said I'm not opposed to playing them on the 3DS either.. the analog nub adds a little something sometimes. But to me the 3DS is a more advanced machine and deserves the more advanced games. Playing DS games on it is akin to playing Gameboy Games on the Gameboy Advance... again, not that there's anything wrong with that. :P

still hoping that this 3D thing is a fad that will die hopefully in the next 5 years (though it's not looking good). If I want to see something in 3D i'll just go outside. The support isn't there, the games aren't there, everyone has a DS already... I'm calling for it to be dead within the year

I'm not impressed, and all this 3D stuff is a big hype. Remember, the 3DS was designed when all the rage of 3D blu-ray and 3D TV was blowing around. Now that the market has fizzled on the 3D TV stuff, other things will go the wayside too. Everybody is just too used to 2D, and 2D stuff (whatever it may be) is so much more universally accepted anyways.

Oh, I *hate* the XL. It's too big and bulky and everything looks pixellated because it's stretched. I still say the 3DS is the way to go. Some games control better with the 3DS' analog knub, even if at their heart they're still getting a digital signal. Mario Kart DS, for example, is a lot smoother. The 3DS actually helps make DS games play better. A more significant plus to me than a honking big screen.

It's perfectly big, and not bulky. The original gameboy, that was bulky. Games don't really look pixellated, they look great. There's no K in nub. Mario Kart DS plays better with an Arkanoid paddle than with a digital nub, not that the 3DS or XL support that. The 3DS does nothing to help DS games play better, and for somebody who was harping on how they look on an XL, I'm surprised you haven't noticed that they look worse on a 3DS.

still hoping that this 3D thing is a fad that will die .... everyone has a DS already...

That's like saying "everyone has a Gameboy" when the GBA came out. You realize the 3DS isn't just a DS with 3D added right?

As far as the 3D goes, you just slide the slider down to turn off the 3D and you'll never have to see it again. Easy. :)

I thought the 3D effect was very well done on the one game I saw demoed at Best Buy... and then I had a headache for a good hour afterward.

Until they come up with some kind of 3D technology that doesn't force your eyes to align and focus in odd ways, I'll stick with good ol' 2D gaming and movie watching.

I thought the 3D effect was very well done on the one game I saw demoed at Best Buy... and then I had a headache for a good hour afterward.

Until they come up with some kind of 3D technology that doesn't force your eyes to align and focus in odd ways, I'll stick with good ol' 2D gaming and movie watching.

But that's how earthly eyes and brains acquire and process imagery in three dimensions. I guess they could skip the eyes & go straight to brain implants later on.

But that's how earthly eyes and brains acquire and process imagery in three dimensions.

I realize that, but that doesn't change the fact it gives me a headache. Normally, where your eyes focus is directly proportional to where they cross. 3D optical illusions require you to break that pattern, and some people have an easier time of it than others. I don't get flat-out sick the way some people do, but it's still uncomfortable enough that I'd just as soon not deal with it.

But that's how earthly eyes and brains acquire and process imagery in three dimensions.

I realize that, but that doesn't change the fact it gives me a headache. Normally, where your eyes focus is directly proportional to where they cross. 3D optical illusions require you to break that pattern, and some people have an easier time of it than others. I don't get flat-out sick the way some people do, but it's still uncomfortable enough that I'd just as soon not deal with it.

Yeah, that's unfortunate. I have almost an opposite problem; I can view it without problem, but it doesn't always look especially three-dimensional to me. I think it's from almost two decades of playing 3d games on 2d screens. My brain just decides that flat-screened 3d is going to look a certain way & that's that.

Funny, I can view the 3DS without issue, but could never see Magic Eye posters correctly. Always had to cross my eyes & get the inverse image. How 'bout you?

I don't get sick or nauseated, I just find it unpleasant and that it's not a natural thing. Now, your eyes most definitely DO NOT see in 3D whatsoever. Each eye sees a nice perfect 2D image on its own and your head reassembles it into 3D.

The problem is you are forced to be lined up in funny parallel ways with the image generator. And when you shift position slightly the image now stretches and distorts. This is not how real life works at all. Ever try to shift your position to see what's behind an object on a 3D screen? Can't do it..

Until companies can invent a way that "fits like a glove" to the way each individual processes a left and right image 3D will remain a marketing tool with tons of promise and little results. Hell, even the multi-million-dollar flight simulators are 2D based - all they need is high-resolution graphics and they're good to go.

Edited by Keatah