IGNORED

The 3DS price drop. What's your situation?

Rhindle The Red

The 3DS price drop. What's your situation?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. The 3DS price drop. What's your situation?

• I was an early adopter.
    • I got one when the drop was announced to get the extras.
    • I got the low price early (yay!)
    • I got / will get one after the drop.
    • I'm still not interested. Maybe later, maybe not. But not now.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Until companies can invent a way that "fits like a glove" to the way each individual processes a left and right image 3D will remain a marketing tool with tons of promise and little results.

I'd like to see that for reality, actually. I swear a quarter of the drivers I see on the road can't process the images their brains are receiving from each eye, either.

Funny, I can view the 3DS without issue, but could never see Magic Eye posters correctly. Always had to cross my eyes & get the inverse image. How 'bout you?

Pretty much the same story. I can make Magic Eye posters work easily enough (some are easier than others, depending on how complex the image is), but if I look at them for too long, the headache comes.

Incidentally, I've noticed if I look at the screen with one eye closed, some things rendered in 3D but displayed in 2D actually will take on a more 3D appearance. This happens most often with games, screen savers and the like that are rendered from a first-person perspective and have a lot of movement "toward" the screen. I figure it's because my brain is picking up on all the usual cues that help it process how "deep" something should appear, things like size, relative speed, distance from the horizon and so on, and at the same time it doesn't have the other eye's reference to determine it's actually a flat image after all. It's a neat effect, and unlike the 3D illusions that require both eyes, it doesn't give me a headache.

Edited by FujiSkunk

I can make Magic Eye posters work easily enough (some are easier than others, depending on how complex the image is), but if I look at them for too long, the headache comes.

Incidentally, I've noticed if I look at the screen with one eye closed, some things rendered in 3D but displayed in 2D actually will take on a more 3D appearance.

That's sort of what I was getting at when I mentioned seeing almost-3D when looking at 3D models on a 2D screen.

Do you wear any sort of lenses?

I don't like it - tried it in the shop and the 3D effect looked like cardboard cutouts at different depths about 2 inches into the screen. I had to turn the 3D effect down to about half to make it work and then hold my head exactly still relative to the screen to keep the effect. It might work for short periods at home in a calm environment, but on the road I can't see it working for me to be honest.

I'm going to wait for the Vita.

(although powerVR pays my wages, but I'm trying not to be biased about it)

Incidentally, I've noticed if I look at the screen with one eye closed, some things rendered in 3D but displayed in 2D actually will take on a more 3D appearance.

That's sort of what I was getting at when I mentioned seeing almost-3D when looking at 3D models on a 2D screen.

Do you wear any sort of lenses?

Glasses, yes.

Oh, I *hate* the XL. It's too big and bulky and everything looks pixellated because it's stretched. I still say the 3DS is the way to go. Some games control better with the 3DS' analog knub, even if at their heart they're still getting a digital signal. Mario Kart DS, for example, is a lot smoother. The 3DS actually helps make DS games play better. A more significant plus to me than a honking big screen.

It's perfectly big, and not bulky. The original gameboy, that was bulky. Games don't really look pixellated, they look great. There's no K in nub. Mario Kart DS plays better with an Arkanoid paddle than with a digital nub, not that the 3DS or XL support that. The 3DS does nothing to help DS games play better, and for somebody who was harping on how they look on an XL, I'm surprised you haven't noticed that they look worse on a 3DS.

Opinions vary. To me, the DSXL is too big to fit comfortably in my pocket, unlike my DS and 3DS, therefore, it is too big. Games look pixellated to me, by which I mean I can see the pixels more clearly. There's a space in "Game Boy". I fail to see the relevance of your Arkanoid paddle point, since they are not readily available. I find the 3DS makes many DS games play better, that's why I said it. I don't find that DS games look worse on a 3DS, which is why I *didn't* say it.

As for the issue of the 3D. It *is* something of a gimmick. Surprisingly, unlike the Virtual Boy, none of the games have really *used* the 3D in a way to enhance the gameplay. I think this may be due to the desire to make the games work just as well with the 3D turned off. And the point is, they *do* play very well with the 3D turned off. The DS can't handle the graphics of Zelda or Street Fighter. And those games are worth playing, even if you turn the 3D off, which I often do.

On the other hand, I have fallen in love with 3D photography. The 3DS is proving to be an entry drug to that world for me. (I've been a photographer for many years, but never dabbled in 3D before.)

As for backwards compatibility, all I ask is that the *last* iteration be supported. The GBC supported GB. The GBA supported GB/GBC. The DS supported GBA. The 3DS supports DS. Going further back is silly and would add unneccesarily to an already expensive piece of equipment. How many games am I going to play at once anyway? Do I need access to *every* handheld game ever? No. That's what my GB, GBC, GBA & DS are for.

In my opinion, there's a lot more to the 3DS than just "games with a 3D effect". It's more powerful and more functional than the two previous iterations of the DS hardware.

• Like 2

still hoping that this 3D thing is a fad that will die .... everyone has a DS already...

That's like saying "everyone has a Gameboy" when the GBA came out. You realize the 3DS isn't just a DS with 3D added right?

As far as the 3D goes, you just slide the slider down to turn off the 3D and you'll never have to see it again. Easy. :)

Yeah that's what I always do to show people how much better the 3DS graphics capabilities are. First I show them a game with the 3D turned off. Then I say "now check this out"

I think Nintendo's biggest problem is that they are naming their products too similarly to each other this round.

I am an early adopter that's waiting for Super Mario 3DS patiently.

Oh, and word of advice to Nintendo, start giving indie developers access to your handheld so the 3DS gets something awesome like Angry Birds, or you might as well give up.

As an "indie developer" myself, this pisses me off greatly.

Look, Nintendo, the video game crash of 83 was terrible. I know you worked hard to bring the whole entire industry back, and I commend you on that. And you're right, the App Store is full of crap. There's barely anything remotely playable on there.

However, you have to realize that indie game devs aren't the same as, say, Apollo or Data Age. You need to be more open to other developers. It's kind of hard to say it like that, though.

And to those who won't buy the system because it doesn't play GBA games: People, the system came out 10 years ago. At least GB/GBA games are to the 3DS in Virtual Console form.

Edited by Animan

I don't plan on getting it, unless someone sells one for $10 or something...

I dunno... $10 seems pretty steep to me.

I mean, that's half a pizza!

I have less-than-zero interest in the 3DS or any dedicated handheld game system. I have a PSP that does a pretty good job in the dust-collection department. I don't need another portable thing with overpriced games to drag around for a few weeks then lose interest in.

Edited by Nathan Strum

I tried using the 3DS they had at GameStop. I could not find the sweet spot, and it gave me a headache instantly.

I haven't had any of those issues on my own 3DS. Maybe that's saying something about the in-store units.

Edited by Animan

I tried using the 3DS they had at GameStop. I could not find the sweet spot, and it gave me a headache instantly.

I haven't had any of those issues on my own 3DS. Maybe that's saying something about the in-store units.

I noticed this as well, have had few issues with my own but had a hard time focusing on the one at game stop.