IGNORED

1450 XLD motherboard build, assorted questions

Vandal968

The Centronics 50 connector was a common connector for external SCSI-1 devices, it was used on the Adaptec ISA 1540/1542 cards.

I see - it seems a sensible choice, then. Unfortunately they're quite hard to come by on eBay, and I quite pathetically can't afford the £20 minimum order from Farnell at the moment. I ended up buying a SCSI terminator on eBay for a couple of quid, and upon writhing the thing open to extract the female Centronics 50 connector, I have discovered that the 50 leaf shaped pins are "loose" in the plastic shroud. The upshot of this is that when I desolder the backs of the pins from the litte PCB with the resistor array on it, the damned things will be loose, and totally unsuited to soldering to the end of a ribbon cable. It's their placement on the existing PCB which keeps the pins aligned and stops them from falling out of the connector.

Therefore, if anyone has a "proper" female Centronics 50 socket (i.e. one designed for soldering to cables) spare for a sane price, please PM me. I'll be eternally grateful.

The type of connector to which is soldered to the end of a cable is usually called solder-cup, in contrast to the PCB-mount type of connector you have.

RS-online.com does have the Centronics 50F solder-cup for a reasonable price, but the the prices for the IDC type are high.

Centronics 50F solder-cup: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/scsi/6741047/

Centronics 50F IDC: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/rectangular/6741066/

Centronics 50M IDC: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/rectangular/6741069/

The following is a Centronics 50M IDC plug from a UK supplier on eBay:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2701110209161?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=270111020916&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

My 1450 talks as you described it on Self-Test. It looks like it has the 800XL OS chip in it, so it may have the voice code in the PBI ROM... except Vandal968's PBI ROM is the code from my machine. Weird.

Where did the 1400XL Communicator s/w come from? Is it a cart?

Bob

To test the speech, just boot with option down. I believe it will read you the menu screen "Atari self test. Press start select or reset"

Congratulations on building such a wonderful machine!

Nope, the self-test doesn't talk on mine. I found something else that does though :)

Hmm.. now I wonder if its just the 1400 that said that. I swear I didn't imagine that. That means there is a different version of the OS ROM..hmmm

My 1450 talks as you described it on Self-Test. It looks like it has the 800XL OS chip in it, so it may have the voice code in the PBI ROM... except Vandal968's PBI ROM is the code from my machine. Weird.

Bob

Yes, bought it from Best for $25. I didn't know if the machine could speak from BASIC, so I figured that having the cart would be the best way to test.

Do those Elpac power supplies come apart, or are they ultrasonically welded?

I wonder why mine doesn't speak from Self-Test?!

cheers,

c

Bob

Yes, bought it from Best for $25. I didn't know if the machine could speak from BASIC, so I figured that having the cart would be the best way to test.

cheers,

c

What version of the T: and V: ROMs do you have?

All of my ELPAC power supplies (that I have pulled out of storage) have screws in the base - assume they can be opened.

What OS ROM do you have? I know your PBI ROM is the same as mine.

Bob

Bob

cheers,

c

Bob, does your Self-Test talk if you enter it from BASIC by typing BYE, or only when you enter by holding down OPTION?

There is this in the Speechhandler.pdf:

The Speech Handler initialization routine will:

1. Set device mask (PDVMSK) and clear IRQ mask (PDIMSK)

2. Set handler table (HATABS)

3. Send a STOP phoneme to the SC01

4. Check for Self-Test mode

The self-test shall be invoked when:

1. COLDSTART is active

2. OPTION key is pressed

3. NO disk is to be booted

Interesting. I just tried booting with the OPTION key held down and it does talk. When I tested previously, I had booted to BASIC and typed BYE. I just tried it again to be certain, and it only talks when booted with OPTION not when typing BYE. I had assumed that the two methods were interchangeable.

Another mystery solved.

cheers,

c

All of my ELPAC power supplies (that I have pulled out of storage) have screws in the base - assume they can be opened.

Bob

Speaking of roms, where can one download all rom & pal images for the 1400/1450?

I see that Curt has the Salt & Talking Terminal cart roms on his site, but that's all I've seen so far...

Jay

What are you looking for, again? A cable-mounted Centronics? Wouldn't you want an IDC style Centronics?

What are you doing?

I've got the IDC connector (male). I need a female solder-cup 50 way Centronics connector to plug it into at the back of the motherboard.

I'm adding a PBI connector to the back of the 1200XL.

The type of connector to which is soldered to the end of a cable is usually called solder-cup, in contrast to the PCB-mount type of connector you have.

RS-online.com does have the Centronics 50F solder-cup for a reasonable price, but the the prices for the IDC type are high.

Centronics 50F solder-cup: http://uk.rs-online....p/scsi/6741047/

Centronics 50F IDC: http://uk.rs-online....ngular/6741066/

Centronics 50M IDC: http://uk.rs-online....ngular/6741069/

The following is a Centronics 50M IDC plug from a UK supplier on eBay:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2701110209161?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=270111020916&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Thanks - you da man! As I mentioned above, I have the ICD connector - the exact one you link to in the eBay auction (Candle and I landed on it simultaneously when we were looking for one the other night). It's the 50F connector which has proved elusive. I tried RS the other night but could I hell find one. The first link (solder-cup) is ideal, and I've just ordered one. It wasn't exactly pennies, but what the hell - I just want the job done.

Many thanks for your help. :D

...Check out my blog for progress on the "Poor Man's 1400XL".

Edited by flashjazzcat

Vandal,

I found the PSU. It is friggin huge. 7" L x 3.25" W x 3" H.

Here are a couple of pictures.

I think I may have one of these from a long dead 520st. If I can find it you are welcome to it.

Fletch

Fletch,

That would be great, Best wants $40 for one of the rebuildable ones (so I can open it and add the -5v regulator). Please let me know if it turns up.

cheers,

c

post-3523-0-73401000-1315695742_thumb.jpg

post-3523-0-22606100-1315695834_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fletch

It appears to have been bonded together in some manner, but there is a seam visible. It almost appears to have been glued together, but I am just guessing.

Vandal,

Wow, that is big. Can it be opened, or is it ultrasonically welded?

cheers,

c

Edited by Fletch

The case was done on other Atari power supplies as well -

psxl.jpg

It appears to have been bonded together in some manner, but there is a seam visible. It almost appears to have been glued together, but I am just guessing.

Vandal,

Wow, that is big. Can it be opened, or is it ultrasonically welded?

cheers,

c

Well, if you're still willing to donate it to the cause, I'd like to give it a shot. I figure I can cut it open cleanly by using a slitting saw in my milling machine, then add the -5v regulator and stick it back together.

cheers,

c

It is yours. Send me a PM with your shipping info and I'll send it your way.

Fletch

Well, if you're still willing to donate it to the cause, I'd like to give it a shot. I figure I can cut it open cleanly by using a slitting saw in my milling machine, then add the -5v regulator and stick it back together.

cheers,

c

The BOM on the Atari History Museum's 1450XLD page is the one with errors, correct?? Is there a corrected BOM yet?

I've already posted the BOM in this thread. ALL other versions and schematics have errors, mine doesn't.

cheers,

c

I've looked forward from the post where you said you would post it later and couldn't find it. Is it earlier in the thread??

EDIT....Found it earlier in the thread, but, is it the most up to date? It seemed there were other small changes after that was posted.

@Vandal968.

1) What bin image did you use for U12?

2) Is U7 the same as the XL/XE MMU?

3) What OS rom did you use?

Thanks,

Jay

1. I didn't. I bought the programmed chip from Best Electronics. This information is in the BOM along with the price that I paid for the chip and the part number to order.

2. No, different parts, also purchased the programmed chip from Best.

3. If you are talking about U4, it came from a broken 800XL. If you are talking about U6, the blank chip came from Best (it's a standard chip) and I programmed it with the dump provided by Bob1200XL. This information is also in the BOM.

If you guys are serious about building this thing, you should really RTFBOM. I spent weeks putting this together, 90% of the work of building this motherboard was figuring out the BOM. Now that it's already been done and tested and given to you free of charge, all you have to do is read it and start building. I'm happy to answer any questions that come up or clarify anything that isn't clear, but I think that the BOM itself is the correct first-place to look for the answers. I consulted the BOM to answer the questions above, the same BOM that I posted a few weeks ago.

I used to work with a very-wise programmer who taught me something.

"Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. TEACH a man to fish, and he'll be back in a few days asking you to teach him how to fish again."

LOL.

cheers,

c

• Like 1