IGNORED

1450 XLD motherboard build, assorted questions

Vandal968

Isn't your board on the way yet? or is Bryan on the fence about letting his go?

Bought out from under me. No worries - may be a chance for a repro board, but with all my other A8 stuff, I really didn't need this. Just would have been cool for the collection.

• Like 1

Got the majority of my parts delivered, I've started (well resumed-since I had most of the sockets and decoupling caps already soldered on) soldering the components. Hope this thing works at the end! :)

I'm curious where other people are in this project. How many have been done at this point? Two?

Edited by Shawn Jefferson

Bought out from under me. No worries - may be a chance for a repro board, but with all my other A8 stuff, I really didn't need this. Just would have been cool for the collection.

That blows, yep if Kurt gets any made that would be really cool :)

Some things are very elusive :) The chase is often better than the catch (so to speak). Took me eight years to get my AVM.

Yep, if I knew Brad had them earlier when they were $25 ea for 1 PCB, I would have bought a few of them...

And the one I did get was a lot more ;) but since there are some out in the wild, there is a good chance that more will re-appear in time...

Got the majority of my parts delivered, I've started (well resumed-since I had most of the sockets and decoupling caps already soldered on) soldering the components. Hope this thing works at the end! :)

I'm curious where other people are in this project. How many have been done at this point? Two?

Did you get a power supply yet? I found a switching power supply on ebay that had +5v, +12v and -12v and replaced the -12v regulator with a 7905 for the -5v...

Hope yours works too :) triple check your work ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Today I replaced R141 with a 1K (as in the schematic) instead of the 100 ohm and it's now very cool to the touch and the -5V rail is still switched properly :)

They say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." but now you have me wondering. There was conflicting information for the value of that component. While the schematic does say 1k, the Atari 1450 BOM said 100ohm, and I confirmed that value with one of the few factory-built 1450's. So, I guess that we can say that 100ohm is historically accurate, but likely incorrect. The video circuits were similar, with Atari repeating their typical impedence-matching and other errors in the 1450. I corrected those errors in mine a few weeks after completing the basic build and achieved a small but noticeable improvement in video quality. I'm giving a talk about how I accomplished this build at my local hackerspace (heatsynclabs.org) in the next few weeks. I'll probably tempt fate and incorporate your R141 correction before the talk.

cheers,

v

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still working away on this thing... for the life of me I can't find R83 and R134 on the board though. Nevermind, trolling through the thread I found a good enough picture of an empty board to find these. I've put something in them both, so I'll have to double check those. Hopefully I just forgot to mark that I'd populated them. edit: mystery solved... I actually starting populating this years ago, and I guess put those two resistors in at that time (along with a bunch of caps and sockets).

I was getting a bit paranoid about my work so far, so brought out the multimeter and started doing some testing... found at least one mistake (bridged a solder joint). I know I also pulled a pad up desoldering a misplaced component as well-I may have to jumper that one. :)

Edited by Shawn Jefferson

• 1 month later...

will be possible something like this on 800XE?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5m0LdMI7tIE

For a talking term program you could use something like Sam Terminal http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/129897-sam-terminal/?do=findComment&comment=1565537

or if you have a Voice Box, modify AModem or similar...

Edited by AtariGeezer

• 2 weeks later...

Hello AtariGeezer,

I need to know if V: and T: handlers work on Altirra emulator ? Have you tried that before on the actually Altirra emulator with 1450XLD and 1400XL with Vortex ROM ? Al I see the the green output screenshot. Yes, I did replaced XL/XE ROM into 1400XL at first under XL/XE dictionary. Altirra has only one option to put OS system , can't be installed Vortex ROM.

Please let me know if it actually working on Altirra with computerized voice both T: and V:

• 2 months later...

Thanks! I found them on a picture of a blank board... tested them tonight and they have the right values, so were all good. Trying to take my time, but I've put in a couple of long sessions late at night and got a bit careless (put a transistor in backwards and had to desolder it.)

Hey Shawn, it's been a few months, have you been able to do more work on yours?

They say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." but now you have me wondering. There was conflicting information for the value of that component. While the schematic does say 1k, the Atari 1450 BOM said 100ohm, and I confirmed that value with one of the few factory-built 1450's. So, I guess that we can say that 100ohm is historically accurate, but likely incorrect. The video circuits were similar, with Atari repeating their typical impedence-matching and other errors in the 1450. I corrected those errors in mine a few weeks after completing the basic build and achieved a small but noticeable improvement in video quality. I'm giving a talk about how I accomplished this build at my local hackerspace (heatsynclabs.org) in the next few weeks. I'll probably tempt fate and incorporate your R141 correction before the talk.

cheers,

v

Saw your video presentation, very well done :)

Saw your video presentation, very well done :)

Thank you, I actually gave that same talk twice with slight differences. Both are on youtube, but the video on the first one is so quiet that it's hard to hear what's going on. I did incorporate your R141 fix and the resistor now runs cool.

For anyone interested, here's the second video first (better audio):

And here's the first one, with slightly different slides and video of the first power-up and speech tests:

Best,

v

Edited by Vandal968
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...