IGNORED

1450 XLD motherboard build, assorted questions

Vandal968

Here are a couple of photos of the front and back of the 1450XL board. The attached ZIP file has the full res shots. When I uploaded to the gallery, it reduced the resolution, although you can still see the details if you view the large version. Hopefully this will help when trying to diagnose a board with the parts in place.

Cool, thanks...

Now I can finish the schematics that include the parallel floppy port connections :)

Well, got all my parts so ready to dig in. Still have to pull a handful of things from a 600XL and 1200XL board, but 98% of the parts are new from DigiKey, Mouser and Best. I got the modem, speech, SY6551 and GAL16V8 chips from eBay. I wrote the JED file for U11 (Pal-C) to a GAL and got the other two PALs from Best. I had some 2732 EPROMs so I erased one and wrote that one also. Getting excited!!!

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1381203308.177710.jpg

Do you have a spare Epyx cartridge in this ribbed style?

post-26874-0-66732000-1382837812_thumb.jpg

These have (2) 2732's in a socket and is what I used to burn the 1400 TeleCommunicator with.

I just bought another to burn the 1400 Salt ROM :)

The ultimate thing would be to put some kind of FAST and COMPATIBLE IDE interface on it. Maybe U1MB built-in? 56K MODEM? I don't know, maybe keep it original, and let users add on what they want. I haven't decided. We *DO* have the technology to make the perfect Atari 8 bit (or 816) machine, and I WANT ONE :)

Anyway, to complete the project, we need someone with a 3D Printer capable of producing 1450XLD plastics. The major problem I see is:

How much would Mitsumi charge to make more keyboards? This would be a HUGE benefit to 1200XL / 1400XL users as well.

-K

Do you have a spare Epyx cartridge in this ribbed style?

attachicon.gifPitStop.JPG

These have (2) 2732's in a socket and is what I used to burn the 1400 TeleCommunicator with.

I just bought another to burn the 1400 Salt ROM :)

I'm pretty sure I have some blank cart boards I got from B&C that can be used with two 2732 roms. I may try those.

Hmmmm, as I was going through the dissembled code from the U6 Handler ROM, I see there are 3 versions of this ROM:

1 - 1400.rom

2 - u62732a.rom

3 - 1450vhnd.ler

(each contain the corresponding Version #)

I'll have see which one I burned and try #3 if I used #2 to see what the difference is...

It appears to just be the V: (speech) and T: (modem) handlers, each occupying 2k and switched in when the Chip Select is toggled.

I had thought the Parallel Floppy handler was in here too, but see that is only on the diskcnt6.bin and diskcnt10.bin ROM's.

The PBI Device-ID 0 (Zero) must be hard wired as 'Enabled' on the main board...

Hopefully soon I'll have the IDE+ working on this :)

• Like 1

Think again, how many of us really want "one" Atari 1450XLD ? I believe a thousands of us (Atari Users) and I am 1 of them want real authentic motherboard with ALL original chips ! I know it is NOT possible to get all the original chips BUT get close enough ! Maybe a few chips needs EPROMS add if it is unavailable original chips. As for the plastic body, you need to know where to add plastic screws to hold together as the VERY same positions. My friend show me the plastic screws's locations is not make sense. It is prototype Atari 1200XL (different label and body).

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm, as I was going through the dissembled code from the U6 Handler ROM, I see there are 3 versions of this ROM:

1 - 1400.rom

2 - u62732a.rom

3 - 1450vhnd.ler

(each contain the corresponding Version #)

I'll have see which one I burned and try #3 if I used #2 to see what the difference is...

It appears to just be the V: (speech) and T: (modem) handlers, each occupying 2k and switched in when the Chip Select is toggled.

I had thought the Parallel Floppy handler was in here too, but see that is only on the diskcnt6.bin and diskcnt10.bin ROM's.

The PBI Device-ID 0 (Zero) must be hard wired as 'Enabled' on the main board...

Hopefully soon I'll have the IDE+ working on this :)

Good news: The IDE+ 2.0 is now working, seems I had a problem with power going to it. I connected PBI pin #47 & pin #48 to +5v and now it's all good. But I did find that U24 Pin #6 goes to J12 (34 pin parallel floppy) Pin #6 (PHS), which controls the state of PBI Dev ID #0...

And as I thought, I had used the v2 Handler ROM u62732a.rom, so I erased it and programmed it with the v3 1450vhnd.ler ROM. This seems to fix the erroneous garbage characters when it thought the modem made a connection...

Notes from John Hardie's notes:

The "ALPHA" or speech mode is "V:S"

So you can do a ? #1, "ATARI" and hear the same thing.

Numeric mode is "V:N" this is the same as "V:"

There are other random modes that no one knows..

V:U (seems to be the same as V:N, or just V)

Optional parameters (where x is one of the N, P, or S modes):

V:xF

V:xS

V:xD

Remember, the T: (?) and V: devices are PBI devices.... so don't expect to plug any PBI device in like a MIO or BlackBox and expect it to work as they both violated the then unknown guidelines. Also, you can address V: as V1: etc..

Do you have any more info from John Hardie's notes?

I'm going through the code in the T: and V: handlers to make some Programmers Notes on how to use these to the fullest way possible...

Jay

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...