IGNORED

Plasma or LCD/LED for old school gaming?

tillenterprises

Just want to thank everyone for their input and advice! I got it working on the plasma with a pretty decent picture using a combination of a VCR and an antenna amplifier I bought at radio shack, but of course, it'll never be as good as playing it on a tube tv! :). New technology is great, but for some things, older is definitely better...

I agree. I would like to add that i was very disappointed to find that none of the new tvs have s-video inputs anymore. I have a super VHS and laserdisc player that have s-video outputs, not to mention I was thinking about modding some of the old game systems for s-video.

There's way too many input and output formats, both for gaming consoles, television sets, and other a/v equipment.

You can say all you want about freedom of choice. But in the world of electronics, where every manufacturer does things differently in an attempt to get ahead of the competition, this is a bad thing. It's rough on on the consumer, trying to find mix and match components - as evidenced in this thread.

I wouldn't mind seeing one type of connector standardized on a monitor, ONE TYPE, and you have tiny modules that convert that connector to others. You build a cheap conversion chip right into the cable. And it would be modular and forward and backward compatible. Once that is designed, manufacturing it would be dirt cheap!

If that sounds too complex, just put all the connectors on it! And include a front-end DSP that can bring it all together and present the correct image to the monitor drive circuitry. No big deal folks.

Maybe include a 20-pin user input cable, and that same analog DSP, and have the software already in the monitor (or downloadable and upgradable) - ready to accept whatever you feed it. From Morse Code all the way to lightpeak. Whatever.

If a manufacturer is going to start changing things around, then they better damned well support all the past standards as well as the newer stuff as it becomes available. If you're going to do the job do it completely and correctly. Otherwise don't bother, we don't want your half-assed cost-cutted shit.

• 3 months later...

BUMP.

I recently bought the Panasonic 42" S30 plasma hdtv, and I've spent the past few days figuring out how to connect things best. Hooked up my 5200 via RF and TV/GAME switch box, like I always have, and the picture 'clicks' as TillEnterprises reported on his 50" above. Plus the picture rolls ever couple seconds. Plus there is a horizontal/interference line going slowly down the screen - I guess when it hits the bottom , that is when the picture rolls.

I haven't tried my 7800 yet. I just tried the 7800 - its just as bad if not worse.

So Till, was there any success using the VCR go-between method?

What other options are there to get an RF system to work, other than modding the console for composite? (which I might have to do , I guess).

Edited by Cafeman

heh, googling around I found this from mr TillEnterprises:

"Very nice HD picture at 1080i. I do like to play older video game systems (Atari, Intellivsion, etc), and it wasn't easy to get it to work on this TV without running the game system through an old VCR. It also would be nice to have an S-Video input on these new TVs. OTher than that, no complaints at all! I'm very happy with my purchase! "

so, it does sound like I need an old VCR (crap, why'd I give all those away years ago???).

I just noticed I had not read this part above:

Just want to thank everyone for their input and advice! I got it working on the plasma with a pretty decent picture using a combination of a VCR and an antenna amplifier I bought at radio shack, but of course, it'll never be as good as playing it on a tube tv! :). New technology is great, but for some things, older is definitely better...

Till - what role tdid the antenna amplifier serve? Was the signal too weak otherwise?

Edited by Cafeman