IGNORED

Livin' MIDNIGHT MUTANTS

DracIsBack

Last night, while I was casually waiting for an Ebay auction for IMPOSSIBLE MISSION to end without someone jumping in and trying to outbid me by $0.01 thirty seconds before the auction ended (dontcha hate that?!), I immersed myself in a game of MIDNIGHT MUTANTS and was reminded about how much I enjoyed that game.

It's a shame we didn't see more 7800 titles of this calibre. It looks and plays like an NES game, as opposed to your typical five or six screen classic game or your Commodore 64 port: background music, animated intro, boss creatures, grandpa giving hints, a range of locations and characters and decent graphics to boot.

It isn't perfect ... the control is a bit weird and there are some little glitches, but this was on the right track. Too bad games like this didn't get released in 1986 instead of 1990. <sigh>.

What also would have helped would have been if the Tramiels hadn't been so stingy on licensing their own games from Atari Coin-Op to play on the 7800. Instead of releasing classic titles like Tetris and RoadBlasters on the NES, they should have made them Atari exclusives and advertised them appropriately. Can you imagine how many people would have bought a 7800 or a Lynx had they had something as addictive as Tetris on it? Oh well... at least there's always Klax and Fatal Run. I guess this is why im such a big fan of the ST.

Midnight Mutants is my favorite 7800 game because of the huge landscape it lays out in front of you and how you have to work to first perfect and then remember the best order to do things in and where the various treasures and weapons are located (getting lost in those tunnels is one of the most gloriously maddening experiences and any 7800 game). I love the boss creatures and the silly campfire stories about their origins. The only thing I didn't like about the game before I cracked its' final secrets is how after you grab the pumpkin, Grampa doesn't have any advice about what to do with it.

Lamar

What also would have helped would have been if the Tramiels hadn't been so stingy on licensing their own games from Atari Coin-Op to play on the 7800. Instead of releasing classic titles like Tetris and RoadBlasters on the NES, they should have made them Atari exclusives and advertised them appropriately. Can you imagine how many people would have bought a 7800 or a Lynx had they had something as addictive as Tetris on it? Oh well... at least there's always Klax and Fatal Run. I guess this is why im such a big fan of the ST.

I thought that due to Nintendo's exclusivity clause for consoles, Atari (like Sega) was unable to license a lot of these games...? Can anybody clarify how hese exclusivity things worked...???

Cheers!

Joey