IGNORED

Analog Magazine Disks (all)

rost

After I searched through all the Analog-Disk-Mag-Files, flying through the internet, I'm really surprised by the varity of different types an sizes:

37 images are SD and there is a side A and B

17 images are simple SD

2 images are SD but only side A

13 images are ED

1 image is definetly wrong (#31) but I've already a new one (ED).

Maybe others are worng too, but I did not check them yet.

This all leads to two questions:

9 images are missing (1-8, 33) - Do they exist?

Is there a source where all the images exist in a form equal to the original disk?

After I searched through all the Analog-Disk-Mag-Files, flying through the internet, I'm really surprised by the varity of different types an sizes:

37 images are SD and there is a side A and B

17 images are simple SD

2 images are SD but only side A

13 images are ED

1 image is definetly wrong (#31) but I've already a new one (ED).

Maybe others are worng too, but I did not check them yet.

This all leads to two questions:

9 images are missing (1-8, 33) - Do they exist?

Is there a source where all the images exist in a form equal to the original disk?

I doubt that there is an image of any kind for 1-8. As I recall they didn't start doing disk images of their programs until year 2 or 3. You might have some scatter sources for the progs themselves, but not an official disk image. You might try Digital ANALOG if you haven't already.

Sorry, just realized that's mainly photocopies of the mags themselves. Best source is going to be typing the listing in. Perhaps someone has already.

Edited by Dropcheck

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/186028-analog-disks-and-game-compilation/page__p__2345007__fromsearch__1#entry2345007

I'm still working on these. My guess is your right, Dropcheck that the first eight or so issues weren't put out on disk. Some of the programs are available from places like Atarimania but some are just going to have to be typed in again.

Allan

Some of the programs are available from places like Atarimania but some are just going to have to be typed in again.

You can OCR them from a Scan (despite from special chars). If i know nobody is already doing it, i can convert one...

For now i'm looking for #33 trying to complet my set of analog disk images.

1-8 were not available as disk or cassette, but the "Compendium" disks were issued that contained most all of the better programs from 1-9. The Compendium disks were 5 or 6 SD disk sides, IIRC.

A likely reason that they are a "mess" is that they were issued in two formats (at first) and then some disks were 1-sided and some were 2-sided. Some would fit on one ED disk side. I took the easy route and put all of mine in DD, but that required MyDos (at the time), so the menu programs have some issues.

-Larry

Some of the programs are available from places like Atarimania but some are just going to have to be typed in again.

You can OCR them from a Scan (despite from special chars). If i know nobody is already doing it, i can convert one...

For now i'm looking for #33 trying to complet my set of analog disk images.

1-8 were not available as disk or cassette, but the "Compendium" disks were issued that contained most all of the better programs from 1-9. The Compendium disks were 5 or 6 SD disk sides, IIRC.

The compendium disks I have too (images):

#1 only one side ED

#2 two sides (my side a is empty :( ) ED

#3 two sides ED (i already posted for Allan)

Anyone has #33 and/or compendium disk #2 side A for me ???

Edited by rost

Back in the late nineties I collected as many of the Analog and Antic disks as I could get my hands on. I eventually found most of them (except for the early issues, as you've already discovered). I first started doing this because I wanted to try out as many LOGO programs as I could. I soon found out though that MANY of those disks from that period, even those that were "complete" or "perfect" were far from that. Yes, a "complete" or "perfect" disk might have all the games and programs from a magazine but I soon discovered that there were errors in the programs. I first found the errors in the LOGO listings because I used those first (typing errors or incomplete listings), but then I also found similar problems with the BASIC programs (some of the programs also had modifications). All of those programs and games would have easily have passed the typical "load it up and try it out test." The programs required real use to discover these problems and differences. Some of the typing errors were simple to fix, some were not. I don't have those disks anymore, I now wish that I'd kept them, as it looks as though they MAY be useful.

I figured that "one of these days" someone would go through all the disks and magazines and get a complete set together. I'm surprised that it has taken THIS long, but I'm glad to hear that SOMEONE is working on the project. Do you plan to try to test all the programs, or just to collect 'em all?

Good luck and HAVE FUN WITH IT!

Adam

My plan was just to have them all in one spot for downloading. Many times in an issue there was a bug that was printed in the next issue. I'll try to go through the issues and add the fixes. Luckily all the Antic programs are over at www.atarimagazines.com. It's just all the other magazine programs that have to be organized. Analog, Compute, Creative Computing, Computer Shopper, etc.

Allan

My plan was just to have them all in one spot for downloading. ... It's just all the other magazine programs that have to be organized. Analog, Compute, Creative Computing, Computer Shopper, etc.

That's what i try for Action!-Listings and acrticles in our wiki. Still a lot to do... :)

My plan was just to have them all in one spot for downloading. Many times in an issue there was a bug that was printed in the next issue. I'll try to go through the issues and add the fixes. Luckily all the Antic programs are over at www.atarimagazines.com. It's just all the other magazine programs that have to be organized. Analog, Compute, Creative Computing, Computer Shopper, etc.

Allan

Allan, a HUGE thumbs-up :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: to you for this kind of effort, which shall be enjoyed by the entire A8 scene!

Pretty sure mostly all programs can be found among the various PD collections we have access to, though some files may be altered.

Was there a special Atari column in Computer Shopper? I have never seen any issue of the mag but it seems like it could be a potential goldmine of information.

I know I sound like a broken record but I still think it's criminal that NOTHING has been preserved of the ACE Newsletter apart from some type-ins.

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

Pretty sure mostly all programs can be found among the various PD collections we have access to, though some files may be altered.

Was there a special Atari column in Computer Shopper? I have never seen any issue of the mag but it seems like it could be a potential goldmine of information.

I know I sound like a broken record but I still think it's criminal that NOTHING has been preserved of the ACE Newsletter apart from some type-ins.

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

The problem is there all over the place. Yes, Computer Shopper had an Atari column for a number of years.

I agree about newsletters like ACE. It would make a nice project for someone to create a webpage with all the user group mags and programs.

Allan

• 1 year later...

hi folks,

After reviewing my Analog Magazine Disks, I found a broken ARC archive of issue #33. After i've studied this file closer, i could restore it. Since it seems that this disc is very rare i would like to share it with the community.

But I do not know whether the disk contains all the programs. Therefore, it would be helpful if someone could say something about that.

C.COM, from page 57ff is definitely not included.

Have fun,

Frank

Content of the disk

Analog Magazine Disk #33

------------------------

CLOCKSET.BAS - Page 6

KEYBOARD.BAS - Page 70

NOTEMSTR.BAS - Page 30

SOUND1.ASM - Page 88

SOUND2.ASM - Page 89

SOUND3.ASM - Page 89

SOUND4.ASM - Page 91

SOUND5.ASM - Page 91

SOUND6.ASM - not printed in Magazine, Macro for the ATARI Macro Assembler

SOUND7.ASM - not printed in Magazine

SOUND8.ASM - not printed in Magazine

SOUND9.ASM - not printed in Magazine

SYNTRON.BAS - Page 41

SYNTRON.M65 - Page 42

VANFIX.LST - Page 9

VERBOT.MIC - Page 79 (Microsoft Basic)

C.BAS - Page 62

C.ASM - Page 62ff (ATARI Macro Assembler)

an33.atr

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

There's another thread on AtariAge that has a reconstruction of ROTO.ACT.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/181823-analog-magazine-disk-image-31-0685/

The "Analog Computing 31 1985-06 1 ROTO.atr" is a corrupted set of images from issue 27 (the end of the atr is full of 0x1a bytes, affecting HISEAS.BAS, VANDEN​BG.BAS and DECODE.ASM).

The "Analog Computing 31 1985-06 2 ROTO.atr" files are from that issue. The CALENDAR.BAS image however has a one sector corruption, and ROTO.ACT and UNICHECK.ASM are missing. Lazer Type's assembly listing is also missing, although the magazine only indicates it was available on the ANALOG BBS. I've repaired the corruption

A few other ANALOG disk images from the thumpnugget collection have corruptions, here are some fixes

1. Analog Computing 29 1985-04 Dragonlord.atr - sector 358 zeroed, affecting DRAGON.ASM
  2. Analog Computing 30 1985-05 1 Boulder Bombers.atr - sectors 309, 330 zeroed, affecting ZPLOTTER.BAS, BOMBERS.BAS

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Best source is going to be typing the listing in. Perhaps someone has already.

The problem is that Analog (and Antic) disk images came with bonus material on them that had no type-in listings, either because they were too large, or just for subscriber bonus.

Sorry, just realized it's another bumped thread! Must I constantly check dates to make sure if something is even still relevant or if I'm answering posts 5-10 years old!? There must be a better way! I'm getting too old to be scouring every detail...

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

I'm checkin' 'em. Thanks!

I'm surprised they didn't include a compiled version of Bacterion. I suppose it was a way of saving disk space and getting people to invest in compilers.

True, Side "B" has 130 free sectors that they could have used, but since they included the Basic Creators, they leave some interaction for the users to create them...

True, Side "B" has 130 free sectors that they could have used, but since they included the Basic Creators, they leave some interaction for the users to create them...

Yeah, you're right. It probably would have added some excitement to have a hand in preparing the binary BITD; these days it's more of a nuisance. Anyway, the binary is out there to download.