IGNORED

High Score Club 9.22 - Road Runner

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

Just another day zipping around the desert, pecking at seeds and dodging the occasional truck. Suddenly, who should appear on the horizon but your old adversary Wile E. Coyote™! He may not be the shrewdest predator you've ever dealt with, but he is certainly the most persistent. Wile E. will try just about anything to catch you. Despite your speed, you're not completely impervious to his devious tricks, nor to the hazards of the desert highway. You'll need to watch out for oncoming trucks, dodge cannonballs and falling rocks, and leap over lethal land mines and cliffs. So rev up your engine, and get on your mark. The race is about to begin!

roadrunner-attract.jpg

Game Information
  • Game Name: Road Runner
  • Released By: Atari, 1989
  • Left Difficulty: N/A
  • Right Difficulty: N/A
  • Game Mode: Game 1

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday August 24th at 1:00 AM (Central Time, UTC-6).

Challenges
  • Acme Attack - Devise a plot to catch that road runner once and for all (ie, draw a picture and provide an explanation), and you get 4 bonus points!
    • DT Kofoed
    • Miss 2600
    • JacobZu7zu7
    • toymailman

Current High Scores
  1. 216,600 (Deteacher) [+11]
  2. 137,900 (toymailman) [+10]
  3. 116,100 (JacobZu7zu7) [+9]
  4. 114,400 (pis) [+8]
  5. 106,100 (Gorfy) [+7]
  6. 92,900 (DT Kofoed) [+6]
  7. 86,300 (Miss 2600) [+5]
  8. 82,100 (roadrunner) [+4]
  9. 64,900 (LarcenTyler) [+3]
  10. 61,500 (Jifremok) [+2]
  11. 48,700 (classicgamer_27330) [+1]
  12. 42,200 (oyamafamily) [+1]
  13. 23,500 (Amstari) [+1]

Best Tips
  • Deteacher [+2]

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 2,038,100 (Scott Stilphen)
  2. 105,300 (Jeffrey D. Lowe, Jr.) (Emulator)
  3. 72,200 (Robert Macauley) (Emulator)
(Game 1, Difficulty B)
Current Standings
  1. JacobZu7zu7 [381]
  2. toymailman [348]
  3. oyamafamily [326]
  4. Gorfy [274]
  5. Frostbite76 [247]
  6. DT Kofoed [221]up.gif
  7. Vocelli [214]down.gif
  8. Stan [200]
  9. Jifremok [157]up.gif
  10. Deteacher [153]down.gif
  11. Miss 2600 [143]
  12. Scrabbler15 [136]
  13. classicgamer_27330 [116]
  14. Amstari [110]
  15. theKLT [99]
  16. LarcenTyler [93]
  17. roadrunner [79]
  18. cparsley [73]
  19. pokeplayer984 [65]
  20. SpiceWare [48]
  21. Mister VCS [46]
  22. zylon [46]
  23. pis [38]
  24. keilbaca [37]
  25. ed1475 [36]
  26. centiqueen81 [33]
  27. Wickeycolumbus [29]
  28. DJT [29]up.gif
  29. Krytol [28]down.gif
  30. Chuck D. Head [27]down.gif
  31. Cynicaster [20]
  32. SeaGtGruff [20]
  33. Darth Kinzer [18]up.gif
  34. HatefulGravey [17]down.gif
  35. Curious Sofa [16]down.gif
  36. Torr [13]down.gif
  37. littleman jack [7]
  38. atarigal [5]
  39. Cortat G [5]
  40. bennybingo [5]
  41. rmaerz [3]
  42. Zach [3]
  43. atariUCLA24 [3]
  44. dwane413 [3]
  45. retrorussell [3]new.gif
  46. SpaceDice2010 [2]down.gif
  47. MIKE5200 [2]down.gif
  48. Mangia-Boy [1]down.gif
  49. Buck [1]down.gif
  50. 4Ks [1]down.gif
  51. Cream147 [1]down.gif
  52. chuckwalla [1]down.gif
  53. DickNixonArisen [1]down.gif
  54. leematari [1]down.gif
  55. Zoyx [1]down.gif
  56. Mingy Jongo [1]

Scoring Points in Road Runner
  • Eating a pile of birdseed - 100 points
  • Eating steel shot - 100 points
  • Getting Wile E. hit bby a mine (cannonball, rock, etc.) - 200 points
  • Getting Wile E. hit by a truck - 1000 points
  • Note: The first pile of birdseed the Road Runner eats is worth 100 points. The point value of each successive pile of birdseed eaten thereafter increases by 100 points, up to a maximum of 1000 points per pile of birdseed. But if you miss eating a pile of birdseed, the point value of the next pile of birdseed the Road Runner does eat is 100 points.

Hints and Tips

The Manual

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy and a scanned copy available online. Here are the hints it provides:

• You must keep running to the left to avoid the coyote, while watching out for the other hazards along the desert highway. If you double back, you can catch Wile E. off guard.
  • Time your jumps carefully, and use them strategically to avoid Wile E. and the other dangers of the road.
  • Use the mines and trucks to your advantage.

We played this game once before in the High Score Club, you might want to check out that thread for more hints.

Miss 2600

On the first screen, try not to miss any birdseed or go as long as possible without missing birdseed. The first birdseed you eat is worth 100 points, and it goes up 100 points for each consecutive birdseed eaten up to 1,000. So, if you eat 10 birdseed piles in a row without missing, each birdseed pile you eat thereafter is worth 1,000 points each! That is where you can rack up the points! Slow down if you have to to avoiding skipping birdseed. Jumping will speed the Road Runner up to widen the gap between him and the coyote. Luring the coyote to get hit by a truck is also worth 1,000 points, but that is hard to do. I was able to do it on accident once.

On the second screen, the coyote is much faster. The trick seems to be to lure him to hit a landmine. I haven't been able to master this yet, but I try to get inline with the landmine just before avoiding it or right after avoiding it to see if the coyote will follow inline and hit it.

Levels 1-3: The key to me is to slow down and keep in control. My instinct is to run as fast as possible away from the coyote, but if I slow down and keep him at just the right distance away, it is pretty easy to move him into trucks on the 1st level. I actually stop the RR in his tracks a lot of the time after I pass a truck or landmine and just watch the coyote get smashed or fried.

I can't stay alive long enough to get the hang of level 4. I spent a little more time on the 4th level when I got the score below. I know to avoid the cannon by taking the detour above, but haven't mastered getting back on the main road and avoiding the cannon although I managed to avoid it once. I guess the timing of the cannon blasts is key. I did lure the coyote into the cannon once :D

Level 2: When encountering a landmine, avoid it when you jump and then, after jumping, positioning the RR inline with the landmine you just passed and the coyote should follow right into it.

JacobZu7zu7

Level 3: Getting the blue seed, is good... but blue rockets are a double-edged sword, it counts to your score, but it also gives coyote added speed, and hes very tough to get passed... You also might not want to run coyote completely off the screen on level 3, he takes the rocket to catch up to you, so just stop moving for a second, to keep him on the screen... then it's an easy run to exit.

Level 4: On level 4 you can jump over the firing rocket... if the coyote is flying at you on his own rocket, just move into the other lane/side of road.

Gorfy

Level 4: As on level 3, you want to keep the coyote on the screen. If you go too fast and the coyote goes off the screen to the right, then he comes back on that super fast rocket.

Deteacher

I "mastered" the cannon level. Here's my tip for the cannons:

As you approach the first cannon (the one that shoots from right to left) get Wile E. Coyote as close to you as possible. That way, the cannon will shoot him (sometimes several times, earning lots of points.) If he gets shot, try to keep the cannon on screen so it will shoot him multiple times. Each time he's hit, you score 200 extra points. Once he gets out of the way of the cannon, take the top road (don't worry about missing bird seed. Staying alive is more important.) Use the timing tip from the earlier post for your best chance of getting past the cannon, but while you're on the top road, keep pressing left. You won't go anywhere, but When you press left, Wile E. moves away from you. When you see your opening, slip by the cannon, but try to keep it on screen, so it shoots Wile E. (hopefully multiple times again.) I racked up close to 2000 points one time, letting the cannon blast away at the coyote.

Wash, rinse, repeat through the level. I think the sequence plays through 4 times before the end of the level. It'll take some practice and some luck.

Level 5 is more steel shot and land mines. Just keep running circles around Wile E. and you'll be fine.

Level 6 is the boulders. Patience is the key to this level. Go around Wile E. and press on the right side until you have a clear path past the boulders. This level takes the longest because you have to be patient for the openings, sometimes.

Level 7 is more steel shot and land mines.

Level 8 is more cannons.

--Zero

I love the graphics in this game! The title screen is awesome! It is also a real challenge. What's funny is, the demo screens are terrible. Each play is very short and the RR looks retarded. He has no idea how to play! He slows down for no reason, doesn't go for the birdseed, continuously runs into cannons, Ugh! The sound effects are awful because the coyote keeps capturing him. It's not something you'd want playing in the background.

36,700 (I can't get past level 2 yet :( )

post-2105-0-64439800-1313599442_thumb.jpg

I have some initial tips:

On the first screen, try not to miss any birdseed or go as long as possible without missing birdseed. The first birdseed you eat is worth 100 points, and it goes up 100 points for each consecutive birdseed eaten up to 1,000. So, if you eat 10 birdseed piles in a row without missing, each birdseed pile you eat thereafter is worth 1,000 points each! That is where you can rack up the points! Slow down if you have to to avoiding skipping birdseed. Jumping will speed the Road Runner up to widen the gap between him and the coyote. Luring the coyote to get hit by a truck is also worth 1,000 points, but that is hard to do. I was able to do it on accident once.

On the second screen, the coyote is much faster. The trick seems to be to lure him to hit a landmine. I haven't been able to master this yet, but I try to get inline with the landmine just before avoiding it or right after avoiding it to see if the coyote will follow inline and hit it.

Wow, this game must really be tough. It might be one of those games that is fun but too brief in that it gets too hard too fast. Jungle Hunt is one of those games for me. It is fun, great graphics and several different levels but it gets so difficult after the first pass that I can't get my teeth into it. I can't play it long enough to really enjoy it.

Funny as hell, but don't play this at work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR7DCFCkqao

• Like 2

That's the point of the Harmony: it's not emulation! You play it on your hardware, foo.

I know that biatch, it's just that I like to own the actual game.

I'm with you stan!

This is a historic system. Game availability is good. You owe it to video game history to own the original game and the instructions. Roms are great to mess around with...but i like the physical cart.

• Like 1

Yay! I made it to the 3rd level! Now that I've got the hang of it, the 2nd level is actually pretty easy.

Tip for Level 2

When encountering a landmine, avoid it when you jump and then, after jumping, positioning the RR inline with the landmine you just passed and the coyote should follow right into it.

post-2105-0-14154100-1313636876_thumb.jpg

Got to level 4 again, but this time with more bird seeds...

Tip Level 3,

Getting the blue seed, is good... but blue rockets are a double-edged sword, it counts to your score, but it also gives coyote added speed, and hes very tough to get passed... You also might not want to run coyote completely off the screen on level 3, he takes the rocket to catch up to you, so just stop moving for a second,

to keep him on the screen... then it's an easy run to exit.

Tip Level 4,

On level 4 you can jump over the firing rocket... if the coyote is

flying at you on his own rocket, just move into the other lane/side of road. To avoid the rocket from flying into you, keep coyote close by you all times, and he wont even use the speedy rocket ship. It also helps in hitting him with the cannon, and not you!

post-3059-0-51967500-1313653775_thumb.jpg

Edited by JacobZu7zu7
  • Like 1

AH!

My rom won't load anymore. I was trying to fix it because Windows kept cutting off the score at the top of the screen. in the process of doing that, i must've screwed something up! Now the rom just buzzes at me upon loading!

help?