IGNORED

THE OFFICIAL ATARI 2600 HEAVY 6-SWITCH LIST

mtshark7

Hopefully I won't derail this but where can replacement R/F cables be found? I need to replace several on my systems, including my Sears Heavy Sixer and even my original family 2600. I also need to replace a switch on my heavy sixer as well.

Edit: Nevermind! I didn't realize that the AA store carries these cables! Yay! Not sure about the switches though.

Edited by Kepone

Dude, the RF cables are actually regular single RCA cables. Go to Radio Shack and find one for like 6 bucks.

Thanks for the tip. Radio Shack seems to be carrying less and less necessities but I'll check.

Not a problem. ^^

Also, I'm not sure if you're new at fixing Atari consoles or not, but in case you're not:

On the older 2600 models, the RF cable looks like it's hardwired to the console, but when you take the system apart, you'll notice that the RF cable actually plugs in on the inside as well, which means you don't have to cut the wire and solder anything, which is awesome.

Edited by Lodmot

Dude, the RF cables are actually regular single RCA cables. Go to Radio Shack and find one for like 6 bucks.

Thanks for the tip. Radio Shack seems to be carrying less and less necessities but I'll check.

Not a problem. ^^

Also, I'm not sure if you're new at fixing Atari consoles or not, but in case you're not:

On the older 2600 models, the RF cable looks like it's hardwired to the console, but when you take the system apart, you'll notice that the RF cable actually plugs in on the inside as well, which means you don't have to cut the wire and solder anything, which is awesome.

I have not tinkered with many electronics. I'll keep this in mind when I do.

Thanks!

post-2042-0-79825100-1331857865_thumb.jpg

Just bought this off of EBay. Might buy another (Atari) heavy sixer to compliment the 2 Telegames units I own.

NTSC

TELEGAMES Unit

MFD for Atari by Dimerco Electronics in Taiwan

S/N: 82001561

Me: Brad, South Burlington, VT

A/B Channel Slot: No

A/B Channel Switch: Not sure

Functional: Should be. Cords in great shape. Ditto for system. All switches functional

Bought on EBay recently

Refurbished: Nope

Manufacture Date: N/A

Additional Label: "STOP - DO NOT ATTEMPT GAME REPAIR. THERE ARE NO USER ADJUSTABLE PARTS INSIDE..."

Might not be a heavy sixer? It's heavy but not as heavy as the other unit. Perhaps a variation of sorts?

Also,

My other heavy sixer actually came from a friend of mine so it was not EBay.

That looks like a light sixer. Does it have the thick plastic sides? Hard to tell in that picture, Brad2600!

Anyway, count me in. I just bought a used heavy sixer from Ebay last week.

Atari 2600 Heavy 6 Switch List

Worksheet:

NTSC/PAL/Sears/Special: NTSC

Serial # (Ex: #54035V or #007649): 35366K

MFG Location (Sunnyvale, Taiwan): Sunnyvale, CA

(Owner/AA Member), (Location= City, State, Country): Fred Garvin, Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

A/B Channel Slot (Yes/No): Yes

A/B Channel Switch (Yes/No): No

Functional (Yes/No): Yes

Notes (Previous owner, display only, white sticker, parts fixed, green connector, Switchboard/Motherboard Revision #):

Bought from previous owner on Ebay, god knows who else has had it at one time. In pretty bad shape, switches were almost seized, rca cable cut at end, looks like a mouse was chewing on the cable as well, moldy smell, two cracks on PCB's in different areas.

Let's just say, it has seen better days. But, I took it apart and cleaned it out, vacuum and washed the plastic stuff, used a quarter can of contact cleaner on the seized switches and that fixed the problem. Used JB Weld to fix the

two PCB cracks, one near the right joystick and one on switch PCB. Also reglued the adjustable pot that's located inside the aluminum cavity, the plastic knob came off, I suspect the unit was dropped long ago. Resoldered new RCA jack to RF cable for the one that was cut off, shirink wrapped the ratty chewed areas of the cable.

Put it all back together and it works fine. Surprising actually, if this thing could talk...the stories it would tell.

Lastly, video is remarkedly better than my light sixer. I didn't think it would be.

Refurbished (Silver Label) (Yes/No): No.... although it could have used a good refurbish. :)

HeavySixer1.jpg

HeavySixer2.jpg

HeavySixer3.jpg

HeavySixer4.jpg

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Yea I was about to say...Brad2600 do you have a less close up pic? Showing the entire unit. The way you can tell if its a heavy/light 6 switch is by the thickness of the top left and right side of the console.

post-2042-0-49769900-1333474975_thumb.jpg

I feel like crap now as it LOOKED like a heavy sixer on EBay. Dammit. Hey, at least I have another variation!!!

Yea Brad I agree with Lodmot...the console to the right is a heavy 6'er. Would you mind adding info about that console? Or do I already have you on the spreadsheet for that one?

It's already on the spreadsheet.

I have another (this one looks like a heavy!) coming in the mail. Auction wasn't cheap but it looks in good shape and probably needs some cleaning, etc. The one I bid one HAS the thick sides.

This time, I've got another real sixer. It also came with a loose copy of Rubik's Cube w/th the silver label!

post-2042-0-60286300-1334077564_thumb.jpg

post-2042-0-05914500-1334077591_thumb.jpg

NTSC

TELEGAMES Unit

MFD by Atari Inc, Sunnyvale CA

S/N: 98467T

Me: Brad, South Burlington, VT

A/B Channel Slot: No

A/B Channel Switch: Not sure

Functional: Should be. Cords in great shape. Ditto for system. All switches functional

Bought on EBay recently

Refurbished: Nope

Manufacture Date: N/A

Additional Label: "STOP - DO NOT ATTEMPT GAME REPAIR. THERE ARE NO USER ADJUSTABLE PARTS INSIDE..."

Fred:I know there are a few on here that ppl haven't been able to fix, I think for the most part alot of them work. I know the one Heavy 6'er I bought I ended up having to replace the voltage regulator on it and it works perfectly now. I am actually the 2nd person to keep track of the heavy 6'er list. The original person couldn't keep up with it so he allowed me to take over for him.

kankan313rd:That's still a sweet deal you got! I remember my first atari 2600 was a light 6'er and came from a smoked home and was my 1st ebay purchase ever. I think I caught 2nd hand smoke from playing it the 1st week I had it, lol. Now that unit is my 3 modded unit (LED, Pause, S-vid & AV) and my favorite from all the hard work I put into it. I ended up paying around the same price IIRC.