IGNORED

Frantic (2600)

SpiceWare

Had a friend's birthday party to go to so didn't get much done, but I did get those 4 shooting offscreen bugs fixed.

Can we get a build with these fixes in it :D. If not thats fine as well, I can wait. BTW I wasn't trying to tell you when to release your game, I know you have an expectation of what this game is suppose to be, I want it to meet your expectation, I was just saying as the game stood right then and there, it is fantastic!

Dude this is awesome.

When it's finished, this better get published. I'll totally buy a copy!

Awesome work! :)

Agreed, I'd really love to see a number box set with manual and some goodie extras, I'd pay top dollar for this game, it has me excited!!!

-Disjaukifa

Can we get a build with these fixes in it :D

I posted that last night via my iPad, the computer'd been long turned off. I got the fix done just as it was time to leave for the party and hadn't had time to test it on the Harmony. There's an ARM bug that sometimes crops up, it crashes the Atari but not Stella. The only way to fix it is to start changing the order of the functions in the C code (ie: cut function ProcessJoystick() and paste it at the end of file) recompile everything and test on Harmony. If it doesn't work, move another function. It took 3-4 hours of doing this the last time it showed up.

The errata sheet isn't that helpful

MAM.2: Under certain conditions in MAM Mode2 code execution out of internal Flash can fail

Introduction:

The MAM block maximizes the performance of the ARM processor when it is running code in Flash memory. It includes three 128-bit buffers called the Prefetch Buffer, the Branch Trail Buffer and the data buffer. It can operate in 3 modes; Mode 0 (MAM off), Mode 1 (MAM partially enabled) and Mode 2 (MAM fully enabled).

Problem:

Under certain conditions when the MAM is fully enabled (Mode 2) code execution from internal Flash can fail. The conditions under which the problem can occur is dependent on the code itself along with its positioning within the Flash memory.

Work-around:

If the above problem is encountered then Mode 2 should not be used. Instead, partially enable the MAM using Mode 1.

Not using Mode 2 isn't an option, it means the ARM code will run slower and we then have timing issues that affect various consoles (like the 7800).

If they could say what instructions/positioning caused the problem we could make something to check for that and let us know exactly where the problem is. As it is, all I can do is randomly reorder the code and hope it fixes the problem.

I'd really love to see a number box set with manual and some goodie extras, I'd pay top dollar for this game

I think the games going to cost more to begin with because it'll be using the Melody board. If I remember correctly (as the store's closed for Al's vacation) the 4K games are $20, 8K+ are $25 while Melody games are $30.

it has me excited!!!

Really? I don't think I noticed ;-)

Fixed the shoot-off-screen bugs

Revised Evil Otto routines

Bonus life every 1000 points

Will the game eventually start with the fire button also?

I noticed that sometimes the little guy moves without moving his feet. It has only happened a couple of times. Is that a bug or a new feature (levitation)? :D

Fire button start will be added when I put the menu in place.

Yeah, that happens if there's a lot of things lined up horizontally, which results in a lot of flicker. I think it's more noticeable since I added the explosions as whenever a robot is killed it's single sprite is replaced with 2 sprites for the duration of the explosion. That's even more pronounced when 2 robots walk into each other and become 4 sprites.

espire8's back, he's been offline for a few months. He's working on expanding the humanoid animation sequence from 2 frames to 4. That might help the "hover" to clear up or decrease in frequency.

Works fine on my light sixer. Just pulled out the heavy sixer and it works fine there too.

However, it's not happy on my 7800 - lots of screen rolls and Max Headroom speech. Guess I'll add a test runs on the 7800 from now on before I post new builds.

Are you doing it as a single game on cartridge or from SD?

Are robots supposed to get trapped within walls?

Yes, the random positioning of the wall sections off each of the 8 posts can make 1, 2 or all 3 of the middle areas inaccessible to the humanoid. To kill them, you need to position yourself so Evil Otto offs them for you. That's part of why I updated Evil Otto's routines yesterday to prefer the diagonal directions.

Works fine on my light sixer. Just pulled out the heavy sixer and it works fine there too.

However, it's not happy on my 7800 - lots of screen rolls and Max Headroom speech. Guess I'll add a test runs on the 7800 from now on before I post new builds.

I'd been playing the game on my 2600 Jr and didn't like the sound of the voice (too high pitched and didn't sound like a robot). I thought it was the way you intended it until I noticed your post above about the "Max Headroom" speech. Maybe that's the voice I'm hearing too?

I tried it out on my heavy sixer to see if it would sound any different, but whenever I leave a room the game crashes. So it looks like that issue is happening to at least disjaukifa and me.