IGNORED

Fixing known bugs in Handy emulator

LX.NET

looks like.

The difference is between USER and CODER.

The user is using a tool the coder has written.

Thus you can credit him for the picture selection, music, packaging, etc.

http://www.atariage....-tool-from-sage

It turns out that I was right about the reason why you made the comment, and you still obviously don't understand what I was asking.

I think sage made the comment because he recognised that "Lynx invades Japan" was made using his slideshow creator tool. I haven't used it myself but I suspect it doesn't require what you would call developer skills.

Recognised is not the right word here esp as he is _not_ using the public version ;-)

He is one of the few who actually got a full version of the software.

Ah, and to answere your question:

I dont think he did do anything else for Lynx yet, but I might be wrong as he is using differnt handles.

Edited by sage

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/194940-hicolor-slideshow-builder-tool-from-sage/

Following the link sage included I suspect it was Lynxman. He was in Japan, used the tool to make another slideshow about his pictures in Japan, ... maybe he had some more pictures from his trip.

Just kidding Bernd ;)

I am not sure you can just sell it, under GPL you would have to provide the source etc. I thought about porting to IOS (iPhone & iPad) but Apple wouldnt allow it unless its pre packaged with legal ROMs. If they werent so strict I would put it on IOS with FTP support to allow xfer of ROMs to the phone.

It probably already works on Windows 8 doesnt it? Or is Windows 8 restricted now like IOS is?

It already works on Windows 8 (full version) but what I meant as a (full screen) metro app so it will also run on Win8 RT.

It's not restricted since I noticed Emu7800 app which has many roms included. It's a nice atari 2600/7800 emulator running full screen (and optionally with touch or xbox controllers).

It should be easy to port it since C# + DirectX is supported.

For Mono you need to make sure you use WinForms. Not all managed libraries are supported in Mono.

• 1 month later...

Right, a working release now - until someone tells me otherwise :P

http://www.c5softwar.../handy0.971.zip

Basically has the sound buffer improvement from before, the 2 bug fixes from LX.NET, and another sound fix which could have affected other sound but primarily it stopped the laughing sample at the start of Gates of Zendocon.

Interestingly, I only just had a chance to test these on a couple of laptops. In Windows 8 the .971 works just fine, no lag, no problems at all. But my Linux box won't run it at all! I'm glad you still had .97 posted, as that seems to be the winner for Wine...at least the version I've got. :)

No, it's .971 that doesn't work, which I thought was weird. What teeny little bug popped up? *shrug*

Ok, I'm playing with it right now, and it's being weirdly inconsistent. Usually I can hit cancel at startup to get the main "Insert Game" screen and then see all the menus, and that's one of the things that caused it to crash. Now it isn't crashing, but it did resize itself down to the smallest resolution. After resizing it again, I've run a handful of demos, and not getting the crash this time. Utterly odd.

It's interesting to see this being worked on.

Not wanting to break into the discussion, but desiring to leave a few lines here:

It would be interesting if a comparison was ever to be made between those builds (from GadgetUK) and Mednafen, which features another tweaked version of 0.95.

http://mednafen.sourceforge.net/ -- also interesting is the changelog, featuring several "Lynx" mentions, such as audio-rendering betterments: http://mednafen.sour...n/09x/ChangeLog

Probably though I am not bringing anything new to your ears. In this case, just waving hands to you. Interesting also about Wine, wondering if XP VirtualBox would also be suffering from the mentioned issue.

EDIT: Well, I have tested it as I had that handy -- 0.971 works well from under VirtualBox (Ubuntu host). Audio rendering indeed is much improved, at least comparing with 0.95. I am impressed. ::waving::

Edited by twipley

cool. :cool:

just played this updated version of Handy. And for the first time ever, other than on the original Lynx Machine. The Great Spider Zendocon acually laughed.

I swear I had the biggist grin on my face when I seen and heard him do it :grin: . All I can say is thank you. To all you guys who put the man hours in, out of your free time, to maybe finally finish handy forever one day. your getting really close.

just one request though as I'd have no Idea how to do it. But if you guys can one day when you've got some extra time to. Could you please update the Lynx backgrounds in Handy to some Clean HD image replacements. As the ones in it, with all this new tecnology in todays world, look really bad and blured. the Lynx I shot is not in good condition like when it come out in 89. As the rubber buttons have holes in them, plus its blured. The Lynx II is better but the image is still blured.

If you guys decide to update the old images. for the future. it would be the iceing on the cake. :cool:

but even without them. Handy has never looked or played so good. :thumbsup: :)

cool. :cool:

just played this updated version of Handy. And for the first time ever, other than on the original Lynx Machine. The Great Spider Zendocon acually laughed.

I swear I had the biggist grin on my face when I seen and heard him do it :grin: . All I can say is thank you. To all you guys who put the man hours in, out of your free time, to maybe finally finish handy forever one day. your getting really close.

just one request though as I'd have no Idea how to do it. But if you guys can one day when you've got some extra time to. Could you please update the Lynx backgrounds in Handy to some Clean HD image replacements. As the ones in it, with all this new tecnology in todays world, look really bad and blured. the Lynx I shot is not in good condition like when it come out in 89. As the rubber buttons have holes in them, plus its blured. The Lynx II is better but the image is still blured.

If you guys decide to update the old images. for the future. it would be the iceing on the cake. :cool:

but even without them. Handy has never looked or played so good. :thumbsup: :)

Thanks for the feedback! I will update the textures when I get chance.

• 6 years later...

cool. icon_shades.gif

I swear I had the biggist grin on my face when I seen and heard him do it icon_biggrinwink.gif . All I can say is thank you. To all you guys who put the man hours in, out of your free time, to maybe finally finish handy forever one day. your getting really close.

Does anyone know if there is a video posted of the laughing spider?

I checked some gameplay videos on YouTube, and in that quick search, hadn't come up with any.

Thanks!

(and extra thanks for queuing directly to the spot)

While the bug exists in some current emulators based on the original 0.95 Handy, such as Mac Handy by Richard Bannister), it does seem long ago fixed in mednafen, etc. For example, It works in OpenEmu on Mac, which is based on Mednafen 1.21.3.1 (April 2018).

• 2 months later...

Remove the 'mAUDIO_x_BKUP' checks. Game writes '0' for AUDxTBACK registers during pcm playback.

https://github.com/bspruck/handy-fork/blob/master/handy-win32src-0.95-patched/core/mikie.cpp#L3463
https://github.com/bspruck/handy-fork/blob/master/handy-win32src-0.95-patched/core/mikie.cpp#L3544
https://github.com/bspruck/handy-fork/blob/master/handy-win32src-0.95-patched/core/mikie.cpp#L3625
https://github.com/bspruck/handy-fork/blob/master/handy-win32src-0.95-patched/core/mikie.cpp#L3706

Mednafen does this:
if(mAUDIO_ENABLE_COUNT[y] && (mAUDIO_ENABLE_RELOAD[y] || !mAUDIO_TIMER_DONE[y]))

whereas Handy does this:
if(mAUDIO_0_ENABLE_COUNT && (mAUDIO_0_ENABLE_RELOAD || !mAUDIO_0_TIMER_DONE) && mAUDIO_0_VOLUME && mAUDIO_0_BKUP) {

• Like 1