IGNORED

Best Football game ever made?

cimerians

Whats the one game you an fire up every time and its still great?

Haven't played it in years, nor is Football a sport I particularly care for, but I always thought Super Challenge Football for the 2600 was very good. I liked the simplicity and flow of it. Only reason I even have that game is because I received it back in the day as a Christmas gift from a cousin that didn't exactly know me too well. Would pop it in if I was *really* bored, but still had fun with it all the same. :lol:

I still have Super Football also (back when I cared to collect for the sake of collecting) but never actually played it. Looks awesome for a football game though. I bet most here are going to talk about NES's Tecmo Bowl, Super Tecmo Bowl, Tecmo Super Bowl, whatever. lol Never played it myself, but have seen it played at many a friends home.

I think I've played more football on this handheld than I ever have on all consoles combined. Even have a tiny keychain version of it. lol

post-13896-0-19039500-1314050816_thumb.jpg

Edited by save2600
  • Like 2

Even have a tiny keychain version of it.

I have the same keychain version, which might have the most time on it.. ;-)

Personally, I have fun with Madden on the 3DO, but this:

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/software_detail.asp?st=2&c=1254&id=335

..is it for me.. ;-)

desiv

p.s. U.K. people, don't complain about the name. Football/Soccer, etc.. You LOST the right to complain when you came out with SWOS, Sensible World of Soccer.. HA!! I knew you'd been making up that whole "We call it football" thing..!!) ;-)

Tecmo Super Bowl for either NES or SNES. Madden can suck it.

Apart from some missing things only a football junkie like me would care about (fake punt/field goal plays, change defensive roster, 3rd quarterback, wildcat lineups/ability to put any player at any position [just for fun], more stats [like blocked kicks], create/edit players, teams' quality/skill/difficulty varies from season to season so the same teams aren't in the playoffs every year and the same teams don't suck every year), it's pretty much the perfect football game. Majkowski to Sharpe FTW! :D

That's Tecmo SUPER Bowl, not its predecessor, Tecmo Bowl, or its sequels, Tecmo Super Bowl II and TSB III. Those games suck. Well, Tecmo Bowl is good, but it doesn't come close to touching Tecmo Super Bowl.

:)

Edited by BassGuitari
  • Like 2

I really like Madden 93 for the Genesis. The original Madden is good, but '93 has passing windows which really improved the passing game. Joe Montana football for the Genesis is also a lot of fun but is more of an arcade-style game. I don't really care for any sports games beyond the 16-bit systems (with the exception of golf) because they just got too complicated without being more fun for me. Tecmo Bowl and Super Tecmo bowl for the NES are also a lot of fun.

But if I could only ever play one football game for the rest of my life, I'd go with Madden 93.

Chris

Football is complex. I know nothing about any sports, yet I can pick up and play most baseball, basketball, golf, tennis, hockey, volleyball or bowling games. I've never found a football game that can be played by a football naive individual. Is there such a game, or is the complexity essential to the enjoyment?

Football is complex. I know nothing about any sports, yet I can pick up and play most baseball, basketball, golf, tennis, hockey, volleyball or bowling games. I've never found a football game that can be played by a football naive individual. Is there such a game, or is the complexity essential to the enjoyment?

Football games are easy to pick up and play...I mean soccer games :D

Ok now I need to go searching for some of these. My favorites has always been Madden 93', Tecmo Bowl and NFL2K5.

The Mattel football handheld was great. I also used to play Coleco's:

TEMPLATE%20hh%20coleco%20quarterback%20console%20front%20EX%20blue%20buttons.JPG

I need to try Tecmo SUPER bowl....I'm ashamed to say I havent tried it although I think I did on an emulator at some point in time.

Also Mutant league. I havent played that one either. :P

I love Tecmo Bowl, but I still need to get Tecmo Super Bowl. I love the Mattel Football II. Have you seen the new commercials for the next season of Psych on USA? One of them has Shawn playing a Football II he picks up while searching a house. He even mentions it by name. "This guy has a Mattel Football II!"