IGNORED

Best Football game ever made?

cimerians

Dave Krieg is one of my all time favorites

When he retired he was in the top 10 in almost every statistical category for all time QBs

In fact he is still in the top 10/15

He gets no love when it comes to the HOF

He had some great years in Seattle, and was a Pro Bowl QB 3 times

I love Krieg

I'm a Seahawks fan and I think the playoff system is messed up. Why should a 10-6 team stay home when a 7-9 team can make the playoffs? That isn't right.

Why should a team that finished 2nd in its division tear through a month of sudden-death football to win the Super Bowl?;):D

Back to the Seahawks, it may not be right, but if a division is so bad that a team can "win" it with a losing record, that's not a fault of the playoff system. The alternative is to do away with divisions, or perhaps go back to six divisions. Maybe even four.

Let's not forget either that the 7-9 Seahawks appearing in the playoffs was an anomaly, and as we saw (inexplicable victory over the Saints notwithstanding), it was pretty self-correcting. It's not like this happens every year. I'm not convinced that last year was an indicator that the playoff system is flawed enough to radically alter it. When entire divisions being won by losing teams starts becoming normal, THEN something has to change. And even then, it would make more sense to reorganize the divisions rather than scrap the current playoff system.

:)

I'm a Seahawks fan and I think the playoff system is messed up. Why should a 10-6 team stay home when a 7-9 team can make the playoffs? That isn't right.

Why should a team that finished 2nd in its division tear through a month of sudden-death football to win the Super Bowl?;):D

Back to the Seahawks, it may not be right, but if a division is so bad that a team can "win" it with a losing record, that's not a fault of the playoff system. The alternative is to do away with divisions, or perhaps go back to six divisions. Maybe even four.

Let's not forget either that the 7-9 Seahawks appearing in the playoffs was an anomaly, and as we saw (inexplicable victory over the Saints notwithstanding), it was pretty self-correcting. It's not like this happens every year. I'm not convinced that last year was an indicator that the playoff system is flawed enough to radically alter it. When entire divisions being won by losing teams starts becoming normal, THEN something has to change. And even then, it would make more sense to reorganize the divisions rather than scrap the current playoff system.

I agree, I mean its the only time that it has happened (not counting the 82 strike)and I doubt it will happen anytime again in the near future

And I will tell you this much, I was going apeshit during that game! I couldnt believe the Seahawks were hanging with the Aints and when Lynch broke that run it was awesome

Im a Chiefs fan and have been since 1984, but after living in Seattle from 1999-2007 the Seahawks grew on me

I went to 15 games and every playoff game

The NFC championship game against the Panthers was so loud I couldnt hear for the next week! The year befor I saw Van Halen at the Key Arena and my hearing was back in only a couple days :D

So that can kind of give you a feel for how loud it was

I personally think the whole league should be seeded into the playoffs by their win-loss record. Forget divisions and conferences. I think the next years schedule should be determined by the win-loss record as well. :twisted:

And I will tell you this much, I was going apeshit during that game! I couldnt believe the Seahawks were hanging with the Aints and when Lynch broke that run it was awesome

That was awesome, wasn't it? :D

When he retired he was in the top 10 in almost every statistical category for all time QBs

I love Krieg

:thumbsup:

Reminds me a little of John Hadl: 17 NFL seasons, 6x Pro Bowler, 1x All-Pro, 1971 NFL Man Of The Year (now called the Walter Payton Man Of The Year Award). And yet, it seems Canton has no idea who he is. He threw a few more interceptions than touchdowns though, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Next time I'm visiting my folks, I'll have to peruse my dad's high school yearbooks. He went to D.C. Everest (I would have too if we hadn't moved across town after my sister was born in '94) in the '70s. There's a good chance my dad (and two of my aunts) went to high school with Dave Krieg. :) It's kind of surprising there aren't more Seahawks fans in Schofield/Wausau since Dave Krieg came out of the area.

I didn't start getting into football until after Krieg retired, so I never really saw him play (thankfully there's YouTube). He's one of my favorite Tecmo quarterbacks. I like to put Bernie Kosar (QB Browns) and Dave Krieg together on the AFC Pro Bowl team. :D

Im a Chiefs fan and have been since 1984...

Man, that team tore ass through the '90s. Derrick Thomas and Christian Okoye played out of their minds. Our man Dave Krieg had a good year starting for the Chiefs between Steve DeBerg and Joe Montana, too.

I always liked Steve DeBerg. He was a tough SOB. People talk about how tough Brett Favre and Peyton Manning was/is, but I don't recall either of them playing with laryngitis, a broken hand with an exposed metal pin sticking out of one of their fingers (DeBerg did in a playoff game...which KC won), or getting their faces smashed in and covered with blood on a helmet-to-chin hit (that happened to Favre, minus the blood)...and then coming back into the game after halftime. And the dude came out of retirement at age 44 and was the backup QB on a Super Bowl team at age 45.

I think the next years schedule should be determined by the win-loss record as well. :twisted:

I'm pretty sure it always has been.

The Chiefs should have won it all in 1993, that was the best Chiefs team during my lifetime

They lost to the Bills in the AFC Championship game :sad:

It was an emotional playoffs as they beat the Steelers in OT with a Nick Lowery FG (he missed a FG at the end of the game as well)

Then came from behind to beat the Oilers in the next round with Joe Montana having a great game

I thought they would beat the Bills, but got beat pretty bad

Still I have great memories from that year (and most all of the early/mid 90s)

The Chiefs should have won it all in 1993, that was the best Chiefs team during my lifetime

They lost to the Bills in the AFC Championship game :sad:

It was an emotional playoffs as they beat the Steelers in OT with a Nick Lowery FG (he missed a FG at the end of the game as well)

Then came from behind to beat the Oilers in the next round with Joe Montana having a great game

I thought they would beat the Bills, but got beat pretty bad

Still I have great memories from that year (and most all of the early/mid 90s)

The Chiefs should have won that in the 90's I agree. The Bills got lucky a lot. It showed in the Superbowls. :P

Although I think they should have won the first Superbowl against the Giants.

By the way, this is what really changed the game. I remember reading about that later in the 80's when I was a bit older but I'll never forget it. The biggest impact on the game of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffSTUKhIAqk

Funny the way QB's exploded after 1978:

Montana

Elway

Marino

Favre

Moon

Kelly

etc etc etc.......

The only football game I played for an entire game is Realsports Football for the 2600. I have Madden '98 for the SNES, but bought it because it was one of the last games released for the system. The other football game I have is Football! for the Odyssey^2, but it looks complicated from the instruction booklet. I like watching it, but not so much playing it. My favorite teams are the Seattle Seahawks in the NFL and the U of O Ducks in college. My late grandpa graduated from Ohio State, so I used to watch a ton of Ohio State games whenever I went there on Saturdays.

Also, here is the current Beta version of Tecmo Super Bowl: 1991 Edition. (My first ever "release," how exciting!)

Some key features:

-Correct 1991 NFL team rosters

-Pro Bowl rosters updated*

-QB Bills and QB Browns changed to Jim Kelly and Bernie Kosar**

-Team uniform colors altered

-Some player stats adjusted

-Some player profile faces updated

Thankfully, I didn't have to change the schedule since the original Tecmo used the 1991 NFL schedule, having been released just prior to the start of the season.

Some things left to do:

-Finish adjusting player stats: originally, I boosted the stats of existing players that had Pro Bowl or All-Pro seasons in 1991. But I found that most of those players were dominant players in the original Tecmo (like Jerry Rice, Lawrence Taylor, etc)...so they ending up being even more dominating, which I was kind of trying to avoid. The '49ers, for instance, will probably need to be whittled down a little, while the Redskins ('91 Super Bowl Champions) could be beefed up a little.

-Finish adding profile faces to new players

-Change existing player profile faces where necessary since a lot of them weren't even close in the original Tecmo.

The only glitch I've found is that the Team Control menu displays ". . ." under each team now instead of "skp" "man" or "coa." I have no idea what causes this. It must be some side effect of the software I used to create this roster hack, but I'm truly at a loss as to fixing it. You can still select the methods of controls, but you just won't be able to actually see which one you've selected. Just be sure to press the button only once to "man" your team, I guess. But rest assured, this glitch in no way affects gameplay or any other aspect of the game.

So there's the long and short of Tecmo Super Bowl: 1991 Edition. Please play, enjoy, and feel free to make suggestions!

*However, the players may or may not have actually played in the Pro Bowl that season; I couldn't find a Pro Bowl roster to work from, only a list of players named to the Pro Bowl. I selected the players with the greatest number of awards. If there was a tie, I tried to put in players that weren't already in the original Tecmo.

**You will notice Randall Cunningham (QB Eagles) no longer appears in the game, nor does Joe Montana. Both players missed the entire '91 season due to injury (Cunningham actually started the season opener against Green Bay, but was knocked out -for the season, it turned out- in the 1st half...how sucky is that?).

(The game is a .NES file, by the way. I had to ZIP it or AA wouldn't let me post it.)

Tecmo Super Bowl 1991 Edition.zip

And just for grins and giggles, here's Tecmo Super Bowl: Grogan's Revenge. Play as the New England Patriots and see if they're the worst team in the game NOW.;):D

QBs Eagles, Browns, and Bills are now R. Cunningham, Bernie Kosar, and Jim Kelly, respectively. I also put in Brett Favre as Chris Miller's backup in Atlanta. And I changed Don Majkowski's face. Otherwise, the game is exactly the same as the original Tecmo...Bo Jackson, Bob Nelson, and all.:)

(Unfortunately the "Team Control Glitch" persists in this game, as well. Again, the game is unaffected by it.)

Play. Enjoy. Tell your friends. :D

Grogan\'s Revenge.zip

Edited by BassGuitari

I love Krieg

Yes! The family is from Seattle, so I've always had an attachment to Krieg and I try telling my football junkie friend this is great but he was born and raised here in AZ so all he remembers is Krieg's time with the Cardinals :(

What's new though about great guys from the Seahawks getting passed over? Heck, it wasn't until he was at the end of his career that people realized Mack Strong was one of the greats.

And since I haven't chimed in on the actual topic, my vote is for ESPN NFL 2k5

I haven't played a lot of football games, but my favorite is NCAA 2003.

I'm sure there's something better though. That and 1 of the Madden games are the only 2 modern football games I've played.

They're both closely related games but I found I liked the NCAA version better. I put my high school into the game, and in a little over 1 season brought them up to a #1 ranking in the Big 10.

Wishful thinking. In real life my high school was 0-forever the whole time I attended. I hear they won a game the season after I graduated. People stormed the field, it was a big deal, sadly enough.

Tecmo Super Bowl - NES closely followed by Tecmo Super Bowl for SNES. Absolutely perfect games. Still play the NES one just about every year for a season or two. Forget new sports games! they're just boring simulations...

also:

Edited by Jagman

• 1 month later...

From NFL films A Football Life - Walter Payton:

"Jarrett Payton – I asked him if he ever played TECMO BOWL and used his Dad in the game. Jarrett’s face lit up. He said he would be the Bears all the time and try to score as many touchdowns as he could with Walter Payton. His Dad would ask him, “How many touchdowns did I have this time”?"

I need to fire me up some original NES Tecmo Bowl this week.

Anyone playing anything at the moment?

Anyone playing anything at the moment?

I'm still going on 2K5 in franchise mode. I'm in my 4th season and won the Super Bowl last year. This season I'm right now 8-3.

As someone who was a Madden fanboy all through the Genesis up through the early PS2 years, 2K5 was and still is a breath of fresh air to me.

Tecmo Super Bowl 3 (SNES), followed by Tecmo Super Bowl, and Tecmo bowl.

That being said, I hope they never change the seeding system as mentioned earlier. If a team wins their division with a losing record, so be it. If you don't like it, go out and win your f-ing division!!! I am a football purist and I really hate that they changed the post season overtime rules last year as well as the kickoff this year. These are just examples of how the game is being sissified these days. If you lose the coin toss, go out and play defense and get the ball back!!! I really hope that a bunch of pussies don't ruin the greatest team sport ever invented!!!

Edited by opeygon
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...