IGNORED

Red Sea Crossing Ad

Zach

Hey there, look what I found at the library today:

post-2163-0-86631300-1314128906_thumb.jpg

Christianity Today. October 7, 1983. Page 51.

Found at the Sacramento State University library. Incidentally I was really surprised to have found the ad so easily. I just decided to go to the library, thinking it would be a long shot. Christianity Today was literally the first publication I searched. It seems to be a fairly prominent magazine, so I'm surprised none of us knew about this game before 2007. I thought maybe there might be a small classified ad about the game, and I certainly did not expect a full page color ad given the game's obscurity.

Now who's going to be the first to track down the coloring book and audio cassette?

• Like 21

For the record I always thought it was real, but some people will never accept anything without a written letter from God or other deity (which may have come with this game, who knows?).

Interestingly it looks like a standard Atari text-label cart in the 2600. Combat from the looks of it, but it's kind of blurry. :)

Tempest

That's a trip. A) I'm from Sacramento and B) I've lived in SD for 20 years.

Used to live literally just a few blocks from that building in Pacific Beach (but not til 1998). That building has always been a tad bit creepy, with no windows. It's a one-time house right across from the post office. Before it was bought by the gov, the P.O. was a well-known night club called the Roxy in the early 80s. Perhaps the bible-thumpers were railing against the coke-heads!

Just thought that was interesting!

Nice sleuthing! :thumbsup:

I guess no one on AA was big into religious magazines when they were wee lads!

Yeah, what's surprising is apparently none of our parents were either. But now someone might realize they or their family had the magazine and missed the opportunity.

And credit where credit is due: nagn2 first found out that ads existed, and rolenta first mentioned they might be in religious magazines. BTW, I had always thought that Nathan's analysis was pretty convincing.

Edited by Zach

Interestingly it looks like a standard Atari text-label cart in the 2600. Combat from the looks of it, but it's kind of blurry. :)

I'm guessing it is. The screenshot looks superimposed onto the photo, typical of the time. I doubt either the 2600 or TV are even hooked up. Probably didn't have a label ready for the photo shoot, so they just used whatever they could find easily, or they might have been planning to fix the label when they added the screenshot, but decided it wasn't worth it.

Very cool ad - thanks for posting it. It's interesting how the name of the game is not made very clear. Usually ads are like BLAMMO: "Buy RED SEA CROSSING for the Atari 2600!"

Yep. We wouldn't know the title if the ad had been found before the cartridge. I wonder what we'd be calling it? Unknown Moses Game?