IGNORED

Red Sea Crossing Ad

Zach

EDIT: Actually if you look at the television screen in the ad, the horizontal lines are off-kilter from the set itself. This wouldn't happen in an actual game being played, obviously, so that adds credence to the cut/paste nature of the ad setup. This adds up with everything else we know nicely, because the company obviously isn't some billion-dollar-volume retailer like Atari that would have huge ad print resources to create something perfect. :)

It is definitely tilted down to the right, but I wouldn't rule out %100 that it isn't the TV. It wasn't that uncommon to have a tube that was slightly rotated in the housing back then was it?

I also wonder what TV that was, almost looks digital tuning, pretty cool back in 1983.

True! I hadn't considered that. But if the game on the screen IS the one being played, why is the label not consistent with Red Sea Crossing's label as seen on the front page of the original thread? The text is a lot smaller and that label is a lot more 'black' to me. I can't see why they'd slap a Red Sea Crossing PCB in an Atari cart shell keeping the Combat end label on it. If that were the case wouldn't they just use a blank shell, or take the time to create an end label?

I wonder if it was just a stock photo from an Atari ad used in some other context. I may try Tineye on portions of the ad to see if it shows up anywhere else. :)

The title is known from the cartridge, shown in the original thread. Unfortunately I forgot to include a link in my first post. Perhaps a moderator can add it for those who weren't around in 2007?

Thanks for the link. The ad was not much help. It's kind of odd that it did not just say the title of the game. I don't think I have ever seen an ad that did not say the name of the product before.

Edited by Mxyzptlk

Thanks for the link. The ad was not much help. Kind of wierd that it did not just say the title of the game. I don't think I have ever seen an ad that did not say the name of the product before.

Maybe it didn't say the name of the product because the "product" here was still in production and they hadn't decided 100% on a complete name for it yet? I'm not sure how something like that works. The ad copy was probably made long before printing, and they might have assumed that by the time it was in print the game would be named and everything would be good to go for the per-order basis, which adds in nicely to everything else about the ad I theorized earlier (Combat cart, generic photo, cut/paste screenshot on television).

Thanks for the link. The ad was not much help. Kind of wierd that it did not just say the title of the game. I don't think I have ever seen an ad that did not say the name of the product before.

Maybe it didn't say the name of the product because the "product" here was still in production and they hadn't decided 100% on a complete name for it yet. The ad copy was probably made long before printing, and they might have assumed that by the time it was in print the game would be named and everything would be good to go for the per-order basis, which adds in nicely to everything else about the ad I theorized earlier (Combat cart, generic photo, cut/paste screenshot on television).

I didn't bother to read all 25 pages of the original thread, but is this the only known copy of this game? From the screen shots I've seen it almost looks like a mix between ET and Frogger? Probably wrong on that. This is an amazing find regardless.

I love hearing about finds like this, its just goes to show how this community is really trying to preserve the Atari 2600 and other classic retro consoles and computer equipment!!!

-Disjaukifa

Maybe it didn't say the name of the product because the "product" here was still in production and they hadn't decided 100% on a complete name for it yet. The ad copy was probably made long before printing, and they might have assumed that by the time it was in print the game would be named and everything would be good to go for the per-order basis, which adds in nicely to everything else about the ad I theorized earlier (Combat cart, generic photo, cut/paste screenshot on television).

Do you know if that was the common practice? I honestly do not think I have ever seen a product advertised that did not have a name. Your explanation makes sense, but seems like a terrible marketing technique.

Do you know if that was the common practice? I honestly do not think I have ever seen a product advertised that did not have a name. Your explanation makes sense, but seems like a terrible marketing technique.

It is very strange, and I can't think of many places where it happens, especially in a full ad proof for a consumer-end magazine. Sometimes trade magazines and electronics/tech/video game magazines in particular would post WIP under working titles or not post the title in an article, but those weren't generally for public consumption and were just for people in the industry.

I definitely agree with it being a poor marketing decision -- probably didn't move very many copies of this game (if any at all) due to this strategy. I'd almost go so far as to say that less than 10 total copies moved, because if there were more than that we'd likely have seen it surface sooner.

I love hearing about finds like this, its just goes to show how this community is really trying to preserve the Atari 2600 and other classic retro consoles and computer equipment!!!

-Disjaukifa

Sure.

Nagn2 was almost lynched, but never mind...

Let's just say that it's a good thing for both sides this ad popped up.

8)

-Disjaukifa

Sure.

8)

Yeah that not so good, but when it comes to a game like this I can understand the hesitation to accept its real, but trying to lynch someone about it at the same isn't right either.

Did he try selling? Just wondering?

-Disjaukifa

didn't bother to read all 25 pages of the original thread, but is this the only known copy of this game? From the screen shots I've seen it almost looks like a mix between ET and Frogger? Probably wrong on that. This is an amazing find regardless.

Yes, unique known copy. Btw the programmer (Steve Stack) said probably have some stuff about this game lost somewere in his house.

There is a short video about gameplay in late pages of the original thread. The game is well done actually, featuring music and the sea "closing" when you die.

Edited by LS_Dracon

-Disjaukifa

Sure.

8)

Nagn2 didnt exactly help himself by acting so 'suspicious' when he first came to the forum with the game.

I suppose the real question now about the 'value'of this cart is just how many does Mr Steve Stack have stacked away in his garage? I'd hate to be the one that spends thousands on a cart when there may be dozens of unsold copies in his garage (or even 10).

didn't bother to read all 25 pages of the original thread, but is this the only known copy of this game? From the screen shots I've seen it almost looks like a mix between ET and Frogger? Probably wrong on that. This is an amazing find regardless.

Yes, unique known copy. Btw the programmer (Steve Stack) said probably hame some stuff about this game lost somewere in his house.

There is a short video about gameplay in late pages of the original thread. The game is well done actually, featuring music and the sea "closing" when you die.

Yeah at some point I'm going to go back and read the entire thread, just don't have the time to at the moment! I surprised that is the only copy known to exist. You would think there has to be a couple of more copies of that game floating around somewhere.

-Disjaukifa

I suppose the real question now about the 'value'of this cart is just how many does Mr Steve Stack have stacked away in his garage? I'd hate to be the one that spends thousands on a cart when there may be dozens of unsold copies in his garage (or even 10).

True.

But AFAIK Shustack did never bother to look them up, even when he knew he could earn some easy money with it.

For example 100 x $50, 50 x $100, 10 x $500 or 1 x $5000 at least.

That's worth climbing up the attic ladder, isn't it?

If not, perhaps he does not have them at all anymore?

8)

• Like 1

True.

But AFAIK Shustack did never bother to look them up, even when he knew he could earn some easy money with it.

8)

It would be nice to see if he had any copies left, heck I would buy a copy of that game but I have to think after all this time, more than likely the remaining few copies in existence are in a landfill somewhere :sad: .

-Disjaukifa

True.

8)

My guess on the "steve" stash...

Since the game never got a proper release, I guess it's possible he never got paid. If it was well done and he spent thousands of hours programming, risking possible divorce, forclosure, etc.. only to never get proper royalties or possibly ever see a penny for his work, maybe it's one of those boxes he just doesn't want to open again....

Just a guess, no real info to go on :)

My college library did have this issue, albeit on microform, so I can add verification that it does exist. Unfortunately during the scanning process, it only was done in black & white and a lack of photographic contrast produced a so-so image (as noted by the scanning company). I have asked one of the librarians to help me get a printed version of the magazine and will do a proper full-color high-res scan.

Update: just got an email from the librarian. The print issue should be here in 3-4 days and I will make a scan then.

post-5874-0-83397700-1314378831_thumb.jpg

• Like 1