IGNORED

High Score Club 9.23 - Cosmic Creeps

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

Civilization is doomed... unless you can save the Cosmic Kids. You must get your Orbinaut from the planet up to the space station. Then rescue the kids before the planet's orbit decays completely.

But watch out! Villainous Space Skeeters and Cosmic Creeps are constantly on the attack.

To succeed, you'll need every ounce of skill and stamina you possess. And succeed you must. The fate of all Kid kind is in your hands.

creeps-attract.jpg

Game Information
  • Game Name: Cosmic Creeps
  • Released By: Telesys, 1982
  • Left Difficulty: N/A
  • Right Difficulty: N/A
  • Game Mode: Default

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday August 31st at 1:00 AM (Central Time, UTC-6).

Challenges
  • Double Score Dungeon - This week, scoring is extended... First place will get 22 points, second place 21 points, ..., 20th place gets 3 points, and everyone else gets 2 points.

Current High Scores
  1. 185,300 (Jifremok) [+22]
  2. 155,500 (toymailman) [+21]
  3. 147,200 (Deteacher) [+20]
  4. 117,300 (DT Kofoed) [+19]
  5. 94,900 (JacobZu7zu7) [+18]
  6. 79,500 (Stan) [+17]
  7. 55,600 (Gorfy) [+16]
  8. 45,000 (Scrabbler15) [+15]
  9. 41,200 (oyamafamily) [+14]
  10. 22,300 (Vocelli) [+13]
  11. 18,300 (Miss 2600) [+12]
  12. 16,700 (roadrunner) [+11]
  13. 14,600 (Amstari) [+10]
  14. 12,100 (LarcenTyler) [+9]

Best Tips
  • Stan [+2]

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 19,100 (James Carter)
  2. 18,900 (Greg Troutman)
  3. 16,200 (Robert T Mruczek)
(Game 1, Difficulty B)
Current Standings
  1. JacobZu7zu7 [394]
  2. toymailman [362]
  3. oyamafamily [327]
  4. Gorfy [281]
  5. Frostbite76 [247]
  6. DT Kofoed [231]
  7. Vocelli [214]
  8. Stan [200]
  9. Deteacher [166]up.gif
  10. Jifremok [159]down.gif
  11. Miss 2600 [152]
  12. Scrabbler15 [136]
  13. classicgamer_27330 [117]
  14. Amstari [111]
  15. theKLT [99]
  16. LarcenTyler [96]
  17. roadrunner [83]
  18. cparsley [73]
  19. pokeplayer984 [65]
  20. SpiceWare [48]
  21. Mister VCS [46]
  22. pis [46]up.gif
  23. zylon [46]down.gif
  24. keilbaca [37]
  25. ed1475 [36]
  26. centiqueen81 [33]
  27. Wickeycolumbus [29]
  28. DJT [29]
  29. Krytol [28]
  30. Chuck D. Head [27]
  31. Cynicaster [20]
  32. SeaGtGruff [20]
  33. Darth Kinzer [18]
  34. HatefulGravey [17]
  35. Curious Sofa [16]
  36. Torr [13]
  37. littleman jack [7]
  38. atarigal [5]
  39. Cortat G [5]
  40. bennybingo [5]
  41. rmaerz [3]
  42. Zach [3]
  43. atariUCLA24 [3]
  44. dwane413 [3]
  45. retrorussell [3]
  46. SpaceDice2010 [2]
  47. MIKE5200 [2]
  48. Mangia-Boy [1]
  49. Buck [1]
  50. 4Ks [1]
  51. Cream147 [1]
  52. chuckwalla [1]
  53. DickNixonArisen [1]
  54. leematari [1]
  55. Zoyx [1]
  56. Mingy Jongo [1]

Scoring Points in Cosmic Creeps
  • You earn 1,500 points for each Kid who escapes safely.
  • You earn 100 points for every Creep you bop.

Hints and Tips

The Manual

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy available online. Unfortunately, it doesn't provide any specific hints.

DT Kofoed

On the rocket stage, take your time to dodge and weave your man up. You lose a notch of time for every astronaut you have to launch, but the in-play timer is very slow here. More time on this screen now is more time to score on the next. Also, just make sure the red bar things are out of the way when you launch. The comet-things can fly out so fast there's no point waiting for them to clear before launching, and you can only really keep an eye out as they come. Remember that the new red bar things roll onto the screen as the old ones roll off, and be prepared for lots of cheap spawning directly below the spaceship as you approach! The red bars get really fast around level 6, but the meteors stay about the same.

The second screen is all about timing, and not wasting kids. Again, each kid you let loose costs a notch of time, time which could be spent shooting 10+ baddies. They come in discrete grades of speed, so pay attention to your timing to lead them as they move up a level and recross the middle. Also, the game tends to release the same speed creeps sequentially, and you can usually just shoot as fast as it'll shoot from the same spot, kitting each creep in exactly the same spot (assuming you got the first one in the series). Don't bother launching a new kid if you're only got 3 notches of time left: unless it's a caffeine-addict-runner the dude won't make it, and your last time is always best spent picking off creeps at 100 a pop. Don't be afraid to let the two creeps (the most you'll ever have on screen) get towards the top before releasing the next kid, so you can get some space around him. Also, past the first couple levels, NEVER release a new kid when there's a slow creep on the first 2 rows; chances are he'll run into the creep from behind and self destruct before you have a clear shot. That's about as specific as I can get now, but if I come up with a better description I'll post it later in the contest.

Stan

1. Main thing is to make sure you get at least 5,000 points on every level to make it to the next, otherwise the game ends. Doesn't matter if you lose kids, provided you get that score.
  2. Obviously, the creeps end the game too if one gets to the upper right before you shoot it. As the manual indicates and you'll find out, you can only have one kid and two creeps on any given screen. Pay attention to their location. Kid doesn't matter, you want him to get in there, but a creep that slips by ends the game and this is what killed me. Pay attention to them! I tend to save them for the upper part of the screen when they're moving fast. Next one explains why.
  3. Kids come out at varying speeds. In later rounds they usually come out fast. That being said, you have to observe the speed of the creeps too. Once the kid gets into the ship, let out another one, PROVIDED the creeps are a little further up. The reason for this is sometimes a fast kid will come out, and if you do this when the creeps are both on the bottom level, you have pretty much 0% chance of getting the kid by before he hits a creep.
  4. This is important because each kid released causes the moon to go down one notch. If you lose the kid, where the bulk of your points come from, you can easily lose the round if it happens too often. So, keep the creeps at at least level two on the screen before releasing a kid. However, if both on-screen creeps are flying at break-neck speed, let loose a kid, it won't matter.
  5. Still, creeps have varying speeds too. This game at advanced levels requires a mastery of timing and precision with your shots. Often, I'd have to deal a shot right in front of a kid at the right time so a speeding creep wouldn't catch up to him. Try to avoid that by doing what I say above, and in most cases you'll have good space between your kids and the creeps.
  6. The astronaut part before the creep part gets a lot harder later. Pay attention to the moon, because that's where he comes out. If you release him too quickly when an obstacle is in the way, you've wasted value point-collecting time. But you still need to get him out soon, so look for your first opening, pay attention to the flying things whatever they are, and let him loose. Following behind slower moving asteroids (I think that's what they are) will allow you to ease up the screen without hitting any.

Deteacher

When you're reaching the end of the 2nd half of the level, make sure your ship is positioned to the left or right of center. Do not have your ship positioned in the center. I've found that if the ship is off to the left or right of center, I can get the guy up to the ship relatively easy.

When the game gets to full speed, you have to keep two things in mind:

1. As the level is coming to an end, make sure your ship is positioned to the left or right of center, or else you're screwed when the new level begins. See pic above...that's where I like to have my ship at the start of a new wave.
  2. Stay focused on the creeps. Let one slip by and you're screwed. If you have to kill one of your own to clear a path to zap a creep, then do it.

Lots of concentration and focus is needed.

--Zero

Small bump: 44,800.

I'm holding off on a picture until 50K+, which is going to be difficult here, as this game is rather unforgiving of the slightest mistake.

Tips, for what they are: on the rocket stage, take your time to dodge and weave your man up. You lose a notch of time for every astronaut you have to launch, but the in-play timer is very slow here. More time on this screen now is more time to score on the next. Also, just make sure the red bar things are out of the way when you launch. The comet-things can fly out so fast there's no point waiting for them to clear before launching, and you can only really keep an eye out as they come. Remember that the new red bar things roll onto the screen as the old ones roll off, and be prepared for lots of cheap spawning directly below the spaceship as you approach! The red bars get really fast around level 6, but the meteors stay about the same.

The second screen is all about timing, and not wasting kids. Again, each kid you let loose costs a notch of time, time which could be spent shooting 10+ baddies. They come in discrete grades of speed, so pay attention to your timing to lead them as they move up a level and recross the middle. Also, the game tends to release the same speed creeps sequentially, and you can usually just shoot as fast as it'll shoot from the same spot, kitting each creep in exactly the same spot (assuming you got the first one in the series). Don't bother launching a new kid if you're only got 3 notches of time left: unless it's a caffeine-addict-runner the dude won't make it, and your last time is always best spent picking off creeps at 100 a pop. Don't be afraid to let the two creeps (the most you'll ever have on screen) get towards the top before releasing the next kid, so you can get some space around him. Also, past the first couple levels, NEVER release a new kid when there's a slow creep on the first 2 rows; chances are he'll run into the creep from behind and self destruct before you have a clear shot. That's about as specific as I can get now, but if I come up with a better description I'll post it later in the contest.

Good thing I kept the TV on, I don't think it would be fair to list the highest score at this point without a picture. Here's my first score and current tips:

ULTA MEGA SUPER CREEPS TIPPAGE OF CREEPAGE KID SOMETHINGRATHER

1. Main thing is to make sure you get at least 5,000 points on every level to make it to the next, otherwise the game ends. Doesn't matter if you lose kids, provided you get that score.

2. Obviously, the creeps end the game too if one gets to the upper right before you shoot it. As the manual indicates and you'll find out, you can only have one kid and two creeps on any given screen. Pay attention to their location. Kid doesn't matter, you want him to get in there, but a creep that slips by ends the game and this is what killed me. Pay attention to them! I tend to save them for the upper part of the screen when they're moving fast. Next one explains why.

3. Kids come out at varying speeds. In later rounds they usually come out fast. That being said, you have to observe the speed of the creeps too. Once the kid gets into the ship, let out another one, PROVIDED the creeps are a little further up. The reason for this is sometimes a fast kid will come out, and if you do this when the creeps are both on the bottom level, you have pretty much 0% chance of getting the kid by before he hits a creep.

4. This is important because each kid released causes the moon to go down one notch. If you lose the kid, where the bulk of your points come from, you can easily lose the round if it happens too often. So, keep the creeps at at least level two on the screen before releasing a kid. However, if both on-screen creeps are flying at break-neck speed, let loose a kid, it won't matter.

5. Still, creeps have varying speeds too. This game at advanced levels requires a mastery of timing and precision with your shots. Often, I'd have to deal a shot right in front of a kid at the right time so a speeding creep wouldn't catch up to him. Try to avoid that by doing what I say above, and in most cases you'll have good space between your kids and the creeps.

6. The astronaut part before the creep part gets a lot harder later. Pay attention to the moon, because that's where he comes out. If you release him too quickly when an obstacle is in the way, you've wasted value point-collecting time. But you still need to get him out soon, so look for your first opening, pay attention to the flying things whatever they are, and let him loose. Following behind slower moving asteroids (I think that's what they are) will allow you to ease up the screen without hitting any.

This is slowly becoming a personal favorite of mine, I think the gameplay is very innovative. Well, maybe not unique, but still a lot of fun, it just takes practice and timing and you'll love it!

post-22322-0-32170700-1314245121_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stan

ok. I started playing this game.

You guys mention levels. I don't have levels.

This what happens in my game.

Boy comes out. I get him to the spaceship. The a boy comes out with 2 creeps following. I shoot the 2 creeps and the boy gets to the ship. Then I continue to release boys and shoot creeps.

The game ends because the moon sets. I always get about 8k in points. What's up???

Boy comes out. I get him to the spaceship. The a boy comes out with 2 creeps following. I shoot the 2 creeps and the boy gets to the ship. Then I continue to release boys and shoot creeps.

The game ends because the moon sets. I always get about 8k in points. What's up???

Are you sure the game is really ending and not going to the next level? The score temporarily goes back to zero at the start of each new level, so it may look like the game had ended when it is just beginning a new level. I was confused about this at first, too.

• Like 2

Yeah, the score will temporarily go back to zero. It accumulates every round or you'll see your full score when you lose. You can tell it's a new round because the initial creeps and kid group will move a lot faster each time.

Yeah, the score will temporarily go back to zero. It accumulates every round or you'll see your full score when you lose. You can tell it's a new round because the initial creeps and kid group will move a lot faster each time.

Yeah! That was it. Didn't know on each level you start at zero and then get calculated points later. Stan, you are like a brother to me!

So now my score is 14,000.

More coming soon.

Are you sure the game is really ending and not going to the next level? The score temporarily goes back to zero at the start of each new level, so it may look like the game had ended when it is just beginning a new level. I was confused about this at first, too.

Wow, I'm glad somebody explained that! Couldn't figure out what was going on.

Starting off with

post-26187-0-66698500-1314306782_thumb.png

A shame I lost track of what level I was on. After reaching this score, I couldn't get any of those chicken-footed space monks to the space station. Everything was much too fast to dodge.

cosmickids53400.jpg

And now, a slight peeve with the manual. Your gun is called a "bopper" and indeed you use it to "bop" aliens and if you mess up, you "bop the kid (Heaven forbid!)". I dunno about you, but I think "rain down hot plasma death on the kid's skull (Heaven forbid!)" is much more appropriate.

• Like 1

Great score Jif. I almost got there last night, but occasionally my new TV screws up a little and the entire picture becomes one line, and of course this happened in the middle of an awesome round of playing. I was over 39K and then it happened. Stupid thing.

I can tell when I'm really starting to get into a game and that is when the 'game over' bothers me. I know it's inevitable. I mean, I know it's gonna happen. But it still bothers me. It borders on the irrational. Once I go over the edge, it doesn't matter if it's two in the morning. It doesn't matter if I have to go to work the next day. All that matters is the 'I know I can do better than that'...:ponder:

post-26187-0-58164600-1314406348_thumb.png

Edited by Scrabbler15
  • Like 1