IGNORED

Which game should be ported to ATARI 2600 ?

quote:

Originally posted by twit:

I see another pretty big hole in the 2600 library:
good
Puzzle Games.

Very true... but probably because the puzzle genre really didn't come into vogue until the original Tetris, which was at the end or after the days of the 2600.

The problem is in coming up with something remotely original. Tetris and its variants have been endlessly done and redone. Now there's games that are similar to Puzzle Bobble but change only the shape of the playfield (like putting the balls in a spiral).

Mr. Driller is the closest I can think of to being a new and different puzzle game...

I guess we're stuck in thinking of puzzle games as "match colors to eliminate pieces". There has to be more than this available to us...

quote:

Originally posted by Scorpio:

Bosconian would make a good 2600 game.

Aha! I'm glad someone mentioned Bosconian! I had almost completely forgotten about it, but this game totally rocks! I also think it's simple enough to be possible on the Atari too... I hope someone with more programming ability thinks so too...

quote:

Originally posted by twit

Away from the topic of what ports you want... I see another pretty big hole in the 2600 library: good Puzzle Games

I always liked Atari Video Cube... too bad it's so rare that I won't be getting a copy for quite some time...

--Zero

• 2 months later...

quote:

Originally posted by liveinabin:

alright, if its ports we're after:-

how about the Intellivision game -

Tron - Solar sailer.

Its such a great game. But that stupid controller is getting on my nerves!!!

Come to think of it- yeah - this'll be my first home project, I'm going to rebuild the Intellivision - with decent controllers this time

I always wanted to se Microsurgeon from Intellivision. That game just looked cool!

• 3 weeks later...

Dude my wish list is a mile long.

I'd do versions of Castlevania, Zelda, and Tomb Raider right away. Trust me they would be streamlined, but they would be cool. Zelda would be a Starpath Supercharger game.

Wishful thinking Stan

quote:

Originally posted by MoJoFLTR:

There is a PC Air Hockey game floating around the net called SLAM! I think that a version for the VCS could be just as good.

I use to have that program, it is a older Windows 3.1 software. I got it from a shareware CD, and the game programmer is no longer around so it will always remain shareware.

It is a lot of fun, except the "puck" would often get stuck and the game would have to be reset.

I imagine it could be made for the Atari 2600, of course changed a bit. The only problem would be for someone to program the A.I. for it, afterall it seems not to many games use A.I. (At least not until the newer Homebrews Lately).

quote:

Originally posted by Junie:

The only problem would be for someone to program the A.I. for it, afterall it seems not to many games use A.I. (At least not until the newer Homebrews Lately).

Correction:

Even the first generation game Surround uses a (very simple) A.I. for the two player games.

Games like Pac Man and a lot of sport games need some kind of A.I. for the enemies or opponents, too.

And don't forget games like Chess, Checkers and 3D Tic-Tac-Toe. There is a lot of A.I.

So it's not to difficult for the 2600 to program a suitable A.I.

I'd port my own games I have written in high level languages. I have quite a few half finished games!

My first game attempt was in 1985 ( I was just a kid) on a TI994A where you basically shoot asteroids coming towards you from the left side of the screen, you control a space ship and you are in a cavern - basically its like caverns of mars duh! I'd like to port that to an Atari, with more challenges and bad guys of course!

Sequels I'd love to do: Pitfall III, Adventure II, another star wars game! Also the Lord of the Rings and caverns of mars of course.

Though I have a feeling most of these games would feel more at home on a 5200 or 7800....(memory!)

Thats my loonies worth. Goodnite.

[ 03-05-2002: Message edited by: StellasGhost ]

I'd give Desert Strike a go. Like I said over thesummer, a simple, yet just as fun, version of this game can be done, basing it arount the Desert Falcon engine. If you break the game down to its minimal elements, I'm sure it could be done.

And Battleship

And I'd port my favorite arcade game, Liberator.

I'd convert the ZX Spectrum game, 3D Deathchase to the VCS, the system could totally do it. For those who never saw it, imagine a simplified version of the Speeder bike bit from Return of the Jedi. Superb game.

I would want to do an origional game based on Blade Runner I think ( a type of adventure game) I always had an Idea for a game based on a nuclear chain reaction. It is all in my head (game play and such) but I have no idea how to put it on screen. outside of that a new adventure game would always be welcome.