IGNORED

Retro Arcade Opening in Central NJ

Homer79163

Hi all, I just wanted to let everyone know that I will be opening a retro arcade in Red Bank, NJ hopefully by the end of September. The name of the arcade is YesterCades and will feature 60 arcade games, approximately 12 pins, a couple flat screens for current gaming systems, and a pool table.

All games are set on freeplay and customers will be charged on an hourly rate basis.

I know there are many of you out there that are longing for that classic arcade setting (like I am), so I thought it would be good to spread the good news.

I am on both Facebook and Twitter Like & Follow me on there and I will do my best to keep everyone posted.

If you'd like to email me any thoughts or ideas, I can be reached at ken@yestercades.com.

Hope to see you this fall!

- Ken Kalada

post-26758-0-64895800-1314256839_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi all, I just wanted to let everyone know that I will be opening a retro arcade in Red Bank, NJ hopefully by the end of September. The name of the arcade is YesterCades and will feature 60 arcade games, approximately 12 pins, a couple flat screens for current gaming systems, and a pool table.

All games are set on freeplay and customers will be charged on an hourly rate basis.

I know there are many of you out there that are longing for that classic arcade setting (like I am), so I thought it would be good to spread the good news.

I am on both Facebook and Twitter Like & Follow me on there and I will do my best to keep everyone posted.

If you'd like to email me any thoughts or ideas, I can be reached at ken@yestercades.com.

Hope to see you this fall!

- Ken Kalada

What's the video game lineup at this point?

A lot of the classics mostly, Donkey Kong, Space Invaders, Mario Bros, Double Dragon, Frogger, Moon Patrol, Centipede, Millipede, Zaxxon, etc. There are also some more of the current classics like NBA Jam, Off Road, TMNT, Simpsons, Final Fight, Afterburner, etc.

Are there any games you had in mind?

A lot of the classics mostly, Donkey Kong, Space Invaders, Mario Bros, Double Dragon, Frogger, Moon Patrol, Centipede, Millipede, Zaxxon, etc. There are also some more of the current classics like NBA Jam, Off Road, TMNT, Simpsons, Final Fight, Afterburner, etc.

Berzerk, Galaga, Galaxian and Frantic come to mind. While you be able to buy an all day pass? So can play, leave go eat lunch, and then come back?

-Disjaukifa

Galaxian

Pepper II

Tac/Scan

Sinistar

Star Castle

Amidar

Cosmic Avenger

Starship 1

Tunnel Hunt

Tail Gunner

Roc N Rope

Crystal Castles

Spiders

Tron

Venture

Rip Off

Scramble

Quantum

Sundance

Breakout

Sea Wolf

Death Race

Polaris

Time Pilot

Sky Raider

Satan of Saturn

Space Firebird

Pleiades

Lady Bug

Zoo Keeper

Radar Scope

Qix

Magical Spot II

Computer Space

Gyruss

Phoenix

Juno First

Reactor

Astro Fighter

Eagle

Jr. Pac-Man

Mouse Trap

Megatack

Blaster

Bosconian

Bubbles

Canyon Bomber

Cutie Q

Do I have any hits in that list?

• Like 2

Some possible additions I would suggest:

Tempest

Star Wars Arcade

Tutankham

Mr. Do

Star Castle

Defender

Tron

Super Chexx Hockey

Adams Family Pinball

Track & Field

Missile Command

Qix

Time Soldiers

Contra

Pole Position

You guys certainly hit on some of the ones I have. Some of the ones you hit on: Galaga, Galaxian, Tron, Time Pilot, Mr. Do, Mr. Do's Castle, Defender, Track & Field, Pole Position. I am always looking for more so if you guys hear of anyone looking to sell some stuff, keep me posted. I haven't completely moved in yet (still waiting for my permits to even lay carpeting), so I will know how many more machines I will be able to fit once I actually get everything in there.

The website is currently being developed at www.yestercades.com. I hope to have it up and running in the next couple of weeks. I will definitely have a local scoreboard both in the venue and available online. What magazine is it that you run? I am certainly interested in industry news and keeping up to date with current trends and new stuff coming out.

Thank you to everyone for all the kind words and words of encouragement and support. It really keeps me going and gives me a good feeling that I am doing the right thing.

• Like 1

Oh wow....sounds like a video game sister location to Silverball in Asbury Park (which does have a very small selection of video games). I just hope Irene doesn't interfere with 'em. :(

But...nice to know there's another thing to do during my semiannual trips to New Jersey. :) (Mother-in-law actually works in Red Bank. Actually, >>I<< used to work in Red Bank...)

Doesn't look like they have (yet) an official web site, but they're on Twitter and Facebook...

Edited by Dauber

Actually I just found out my brother is moving to Princeton NJ, so when I go visit him, I'm going to have to stop by this place and check it out once it opens, I like the idea of the hourly rate versus putting coins in a machine, don't get my wrong, I love an arcade, but this just seems more intriguing.

Also be charging an admission fee, it will help to keep down the number of people that just go there to loitter, which at my local arcade are the freaking annoying high school students :x

-Disjaukifa

"stop by" -- you make it sound easy. :) Princeton and Red Bank are pretty far apart. (I also worked in Princeton for a couple of years. :) Really nice place.) You'd have to take probably 571 to 33, then exit at highway 537, and turn left on route 35 in Eatontown...

Too bad I live so far away. It would be great to visit this arcade one day. I wish you the greatest success!

Will you have a MAME cabinet also set up for those who would like to play classic games that you don't have? It will give people a chance to play those games that are very difficult or impossible to find.

Will you have a MAME cabinet also set up for those who would like to play classic games that you don't have? It will give people a chance to play those games that are very difficult or impossible to find.

That would be illegal

Very very very illegal, unless you only played the public domain stuff, but then I don't think you can charge for it without first consulting the copyright holders . . . might be wrong on that . . .

-Disjaukifa

Would it be illegal? What about those ultracades that you see here and there at different places? I thought about getting one of them but I am torn - I prefer the originals to emulated or MAME cabinets. For example, the original Super Mario I feel is best played on the NES - played on the Wii, it just doesn't feel the same. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Would it be illegal? What about those ultracades that you see here and there at different places? I thought about getting one of them but I am torn - I prefer the originals to emulated or MAME cabinets. For example, the original Super Mario I feel is best played on the NES - played on the Wii, it just doesn't feel the same. Am I the only one who feels this way?

No you truly are not. I'm building an Atari 2600 arcade unit. Why, because it feels more real, yes I'm putting arcade quality joystick and buttons into the machine, however, I'm not using roms, I'm not using an emulator, I'm taking apart an Atari 2600 I have and I'm going to adapt it into the machine, thinking of installing a VCR just in case I get good at any of the score.

I totally agree with you, I'm getting to the point that I can't stand emulation, MAME is an exception for me, mostly because many of the MAME games I love to play, to buy the real Up-right unit, I just simply don't have the money for it.

The unit I want the most is Berzerk, I would LOVE to have a Berzerk machine, but I've never seen one for less than I think 800 bucks which I just don't have.

-Disjaukifa

Would it be illegal? What about those ultracades that you see here and there at different places?

Some of those multi-boards are legal - I believe Ultracade is as well as the multi-Williams boards. The 60-in-1 boards by iCade are illegal even though you can find them just about anywhere.

I know that legally you can use the MAME ROMs if you own the PCB. I don't know if owning the PCB allows you to charge money for playing it in MAME.

Do some research - it's not worth flushing your business down the toilet for MAME.

Honestly, i didn't even think about a MAME cabinet being illegal. I certainly don't want any arcade to get in trouble. I guess I was thinking because his games will be on free play that it would be OK, but I certainly would not risk doing that if it can cause trouble.

He's charging an hourly rate so he would be profiting on MAME machines.