IGNORED

What's the best "Atari" Star Wars game?

Rhindle The Red

What's the best "Atari" Star Wars game?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. What's the best "Atari" Star Wars game?

• The Empire Strikes Back (2600, Parker Bros.)
    • Jedi Arena (2600, Parker Bros.)
    • Star Wars: The Arcade Game (2600, Parker Bros.)
    • ROTJ: Death Star Battle (2600, Parker Bros.)
    • ROTJ: Ewok Adventure (2600, Parker Bros. - unreleased)
    • Star Wars: The Arcade Game (5200, Parker Bros.)
    • ROTJ: Death Star Battle (5200, Parker Bros.)
    • Star Wars (Arcade, Atari)
    • The Empire Strikes Back (Arcade, Atari)
    • Return of the Jedi (Arcade, Atari)
    • ROTJ: Death Star Battle (Atari 8-Bit, Parker Bros.)
    • Star Wars: The Arcade Game (Atari ST, Domark)
    • The Empire Strikes Back (Atari ST, Domark)
    • Return of the Jedi (Atari ST, Domark)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

So I pre-ordered the R2-D2 Xbox360 Kinect bundle. I know I already have an Xbox360 (a nifty red Resident Evil model that available for sale if anyone's interested), but I could not turn it down.

That, plus the upcoming Blu-ray set has got Star Wars games on my mind. I checked the archives and we haven't tackled this one before.

What's the best Atari-related Star Wars game? Now, to qualify the games have to either be produced/published by Atari (basically the arcade titles) or be available on an Atari machine. The countless adaptations/ports of the arcade games don't count. (Not even the fairly direct ones like the GameCube.)

So, to recap, here they are. Be sure to let me know if I missed one. (Highlighted titles link to the AtariAge database.)

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (Atari 2600, Parker Bros.)

Star Wars: Jedi Arena (Atari 2600, Parker Bros.)

Star Wars: The Arcade Game (Atari 2600, Parker Bros.)

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi - Death Star Battle (Atari 2600, Parker Bros.)

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi - Ewok Adventure (Atari 2600, Parker Bros. - unreleased)

Star Wars: The Arcade Game (Atari 5200, Parker Bros.)

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi - Death Star Battle (Atari 5200, Parker Bros.)

Star Wars (Arcade, Atari)

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (Arcade, Atari)

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi (Arcade, Atari)

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi - Death Star Battle (Atari 8-Bit, Parker Bros.)

Star Wars: The Arcade Game (Atari ST, Domark)

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (Atari ST, Domark)

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi (Atari ST, Domark)

I'm going to go with Parker Brother's Empire Strikes Back. Although the Arcade game is very impressive, I find it too flickery. The Empire graphics are pretty nice looking, especially for the first home Star Wars game (TRS-80 games notwithstanding). I also really love the theme song when you get the big invincibility thing.

Edited by ComputerSpaceFan
  • Like 1

I voted for the Arcade Star Wars. Loved that game. The controller really made that game.

If it was home version only, I probably would have went for Parker Brothers ESB.

BTW Rhindle The Red, Did you hear the R2-D2 Xbox360 Kinect bundle got pushed back to next year?

I may snagged the R2-D2 version, pretty snazzy.

The Star Wars arcade game takes it easily, and is more fun than the sequels. As for the home versions, I've only played the VCS games, but I actually like Jedi Arena and think it's underrated. Never got into Empire Strikes Back, though the VCS version is better than the dire Intellivision port.

Jedi Arena... LOL! I still remember the commercials for that.

Star Wars arcade... 5200 or 800 version, I played that for hours.

Empie Strikes Back... played the 2600 version for hours and hours.

BUT... I chose the Atari 800 Empire Strikes Back for one reason, the added things. You fly along, take out the At-At's, but when you get shot down sometimes you survive and can run along underneath and fire at the At-At's from underneath. Thought that was cool.

Always loved how Luke took out the At-At by himself and that captured that part of the movie.

As for Return of the Jedi, haven't gotten into those much yet.

ST versions of games generally stink.

This is a tough call. I grew up on Empire Strikes Back for the 2600 but I also love the arcade Star Wars (the 2600 port is pretty fine too). I guess I'll go with Empire because I've clocked the most hours on it.

Well, I was torn with my vote....

On the list, I'd say the original Star Wars arcade game... yup, only on the original machine, please ... :D It was actually the high score music that really moved me on this game... beyond the fact it;s a killer game anyway! ...

BUT, Empire Strikes Back, 2600, Parker Bros. is really my fave. home version.... so much so, my dad ORDERED me to get carts. for all the most-used 2600's in the house, even making sure HE had one, because he knew I loved the game! I try to be careful with my carts. but my original Empire cart. for the 2600 is BEAT-UP from so much use... 30% of the label is missing... good thing those Parker Bros. carts. had such a funky shape.. otherwise, I may never find it late at night. LOL!

Not sure I am qualified to vote having only played the arcade and ST versions but I voted for the Star Wars Arcade version as it was the first time I played it. It was always a popular machine in the acrades when I was on holiday and so not easy to get on, plus sitting in the cabinet was quite cool. IIRC the stand up versions weren't as good as I found rotating the end controllers (up/down) trickey as they were too close to the panel.

However I really think it should be a TIE ;) with the Domark ST version which was more convient to play (no local arcades for me) and as far as I could tell appeared to be an exact reproduction of the arcade version, although I don't think the mouse control was not quite as good as using the arcade controls.

Jedi Arena... LOL! I still remember the commercials for that.

Star Wars arcade... 5200 or 800 version, I played that for hours.

Empie Strikes Back... played the 2600 version for hours and hours.

BUT... I chose the Atari 800 Empire Strikes Back for one reason, the added things. You fly along, take out the At-At's, but when you get shot down sometimes you survive and can run along underneath and fire at the At-At's from underneath. Thought that was cool.

Always loved how Luke took out the At-At by himself and that captured that part of the movie.

As for Return of the Jedi, haven't gotten into those much yet.

ST versions of games generally stink.

Wow. No love for the ST versions of Star Wars arcade and Empire? I thought they were pretty spot on not only visually but audibly. I suggest those of you without an actual ST download the games and fire up STeem and take another look. ;)

EDIT: Just realized that I missed the fact that the actual arcade machines were part of the poll and not just the home versions. Of course the arcade machines would be better than anything a console or computer of the day could muster.

Edited by TwiliteZoner

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...